Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Aug 20, 2016.

1. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Anybody else wondering where it's been the first two games? I'd say it's been pretty bad the first two games

matt robinson 17 and Ralebird like this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The run defense specifically has been really problematic, though Skrine hasn't looked so good either.

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Marcus Williams has looked shaky to me.

And there was Milliner moping on the bench with his arm bandaged...:rolleyes:

They've yet to have everyone together on the DL. But the time is getting late

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Defense looked bad last pre-season too, I think once you start game planning its different. Front 7 has 4 new starters for example, moving parts at RCB plus teams stay pretty vanilla.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm not worried about our defense whatsoever. Not at all. Realistically there's no reason to be. When thinking logically it all makes sense.

They're simply going through the motions. It'll be one of the strongest NFL defenses and potentially much better than last years defense.

Coach Todd Bowles knows exactly how to approach preseason games.

His defensive starters aren't out there playing at full speed.

The likes of Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams haven't yet turned up the regular season intensity as the animal's that we all know they're capable of playing as.

Coach Todd Bowles has yet to put the likes of Jenkins, Lee & Maudlin within complex schemes in order to utilize their speed & athleticism all over the field at the LB positions. David Harris isn't out there looking to wreck havoc.

The likes of an up and coming Calvin Pryor @ SS & a veteran leader such as Darrelle Revis aren't about to go all out & risk season ending injury during a preseason exhibition.

With a strong schedule approaching there's no way that our defensive coaching staff, especially an intelligent former defensive coordinator in Bowles himself (who ran complex defensive schemes with Arizona & continued to blitz like wild fire with N.Y last year); is about to show his hand while unleashing his X's & O's strategic defensive philosophy.

I'll admit that our corners have looked suspect but when thinking about it it's extremely difficult to have coverage success as a secondary within a vanilla scheme (being dumbed-down) while also playing behind a front 7 thats only going through the motions in order to escape these preseason games.

Right now these opposing offenses are playing pitch and catch against our defense. They aren't facing a hungry defensive unit that's looking to play dominant football while leaving it all on the line.

Come week one we'll begin to see the blood, sweat & tears of this N.Y.J defense as of right now we have our brakes pumping and nowhere near full throttle.

Just my thoughts but I believe in the makings of this 2016 defense. Have a nice feeling it'll be one of the most powerful, electric, dominant and overall one of the most balanced defenses around in today's game.

The days of HB's exposing us out of the backfield for momentum changing/big gains off of simple wheel routes should be a thing of the past.

This thread concern instantly reminded me of (This below).

Freddy Mondo and Dom like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would add that McLendon didn't play in the first preseason game, and Mo is yet to play.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not that concerned because it's pretty clear Bowles isn't trying. But we're thin in the secondary and if Revis gets hurt, we're screwed at corner.

8. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Marcus Williams didn't look good. A guy I looked out for was Deon Simon, - the 7th round NT pick from 2015. He looked better than he did in the first preseason game.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We have nobody to play opposite Revis.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

My panic meter shows zero

NCJetsfan and donkey like this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That's without big Mo in there too. I agree the defense hasn't looked good, but there's a lot of guys getting a look right now. Next week will be more telling IMO.

Royal Tee likes this.
  13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Two weeks in a row he's looked awful.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm pretty firm in saying that you can't take anything away from team/unit performances during the preseason, but one thing you can look at are individual matchups. Virtually every corner outside of Revis and Skrine got smoked in man to man matchups, with the exception of Burris who showed some promise. I didn't see Milliner give up a catch but I also saw him on the sideline with a 50 pound wrap on his arm which is typical. Bringing Cro back on a vet minimum deal might not be the worst idea in the world. He was pretty solid after week 8 or so last year.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

no thank you.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Antonio Cromartie is hot garbage and the entire league knows it. He has practically been begging for a job and nobody biting.

Dude needs to start stocking shelves somewhere because his other dream of being a broadcaster is kind of hampered by his... difficulties... with the English language.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Not worried at all. On that third and 15 on the opening drive, Jets only rushed 4. That won't happen in the regular season.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yup Cro is done. Funny how 90% of TGG (last season) was screaming for Cro to be cut mid season in favor of Marcus Williams. Now we got a big hole on the right side.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I have been pretty disappointed with what I've seen from Mauldin so far this preseason. I had high hopes for him coming into year two as he flashed some really good things his rookie year. He doesn't look ready to fill a starting role at all to me. I think he's going to be a liability, especially in the run game, if he starts.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'll echo that. You could change the name on the back of his jersey to Hobson and I wouldn't even notice.