David Irving Quits Football Over Pot Suspension

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jetophile, Mar 8, 2019.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I could have put this in this in @K'OB's "medication" thread, but thought it would be more fun to start a superfluous thread just to annoy @FJF. Irving was suspended twice before this for violating the substance.abuse policy (resulting in a total of eight games). This is his third strike, so the suspension is indefinite. He said you know what? Screw you NFL. You're plying players with X anax and opioids, this is retarded, see ya. So, he's no longer a Cowboy on his own terms.

In an instance/circumstance such as this, I can get behind it. It's not like he was driving high with a gun in the car; but if he does drive while or immediately after smoking, that's what I can't get behind.

https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article227290999.html

He may also.have some other things going on in his personal life, who is to say and it's not like he is a big name player and had a huge impact, but he could start the ball rolling by doing this.

I would laugh like hell if players band together and walk out/strike. I don't expect that to happen, but I would still laugh and would love to see Goodell and all of the owners squirm. The NFL has stepped over a lot of dead bodies. Whether or not players decide to stay in the game at their own risk should in no way cancel that out.

K'OB likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

just like Sticky Ricky Williams except Sticky Ricky was actually a good football player

Ricky WIlliams' retirement was one of the most memorable days here at TGG by the way :D

stinkyB likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The nfl should stop testing for pot. Don’t make an announcement that they are doing it just stop doing it.

4. jetophile

I could roll with that. Heh. I have no idea how this works. Every time someone is tested is it a huge blanket test with a gazillion banned substances on it or do they specifically test for weed to catch you on weed (shrugs)?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Josh Gordon would be so pissed lol. he loses his career and millions of dollars because of their marijuana testing and then they just stop testing

Sam Hammer likes this.
  6. jetophile

I think the better tack would for the NFL to say it's not punishable in states where it's medicinally legal for pain management as a first.step. . . and then watch the league get stuck in a quagmire that they can't enforce. That would be fun to watch. More fun than some of the shit games league-wide we were subjected to this season.

#7 jetophile, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  7. jetophile

8. FJF

Oh well. He knew the rules .

9. FJF

They test for more than just weed. Not sure if they can take that part out or if they would just have to ignore the positive test but either way, just stop acting like it’s the same as testing positive for heroin

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i can't understand how someone would rather smoke pot then to make millions of dollars a year playing a game. With that said the NFL really needs to rethink their stance on weed. it doens't give an advantage to players and has medical purposes and is legal in a lot of states now even for recreational use and objectively speaking it's not as bad for you as some legal drugs like alcohol

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Probably because for a lot of these guys they'd rather just smoke weed for pain management vs risking getting addicted to pain killers.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah that is why the NFL really needs to rehtink their stance on weed.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Now that's going out in a blaze of glory.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

kids today are all on dope

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I hope this guy blows the lid off the bullshit going on with the NFL... they have no problem pushing pills down the throats of their players to get them back on the field but the medicinal powers of weed is ignored.
    I remember once hearing Goodell being asked about it one time saying they'd look into it but pot is very addicting... like opioids aren't

It's pathetic , and Goodell is even more pathetic... there have been more scandals with this clown at the helm than any other.

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The problem with testing for weed is that it stays in your system 2-3 weeks, while many of the harder drugs are gone within a day or 2. So somebody could get away with doing cocaine for years, while somebody else smokes a joint one night and gets nailed to the wall over it.

It seems like the NFL is looking to step back a bit on this, but we will see. It does benefit the NFL to not have their stars missing multiple games over smoking weed in their free time.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.