David Harris or LaMarr Woodley

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by All Gas No Shake, Dec 8, 2010.

?

Who would you sign?

1. David Harris

52.9%
  2. LaMarr Woodley

18.6%
  3. This thread is lame

28.6%
  1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

hypothetical situation that ive been pondering the past few weeks and id like to get the pulse of TGG on the topic ...

say, with the new cba, both david harris and lamarr woodley (each 26) are ufa and we have our choice between the two, but can only choose one of the two. who would you want the jets to sign?

as great as harris is, id have to go with woodley. we desperately need someone who instills fear into opposing teams on passing downs

what do you all think?

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Woodley is a pass-rushing OLB.....and Harris is an ILB.

2 excellent choices...but their roles in the defense are different.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

+1

Took the words outta my mouth.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Think the OP is suggesting wed only be able to afford one of the two.

Eitherway you dont give up the second best player on your defense, especially when this guy has the perfect soldier attitude.

Doesnt bitch, doesnt whine, doesnt cry about his contract. This is the kind of guy you want to build your team around, I wanna see Harris around for a long time.

5. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Maybe my sense of loyalty is too strong, but I would want to keep Harris.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I love Woodley as a player....he's EXACTLY what the Jets need from the OLB position. But I would never sacrifice Harris to get him....the guy is a consummate Jet, and has done everything that was asked of him.....plus he's one of the best 3-4 ILBs in the league.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Harris. Not even a question. (And remember, you build teams from the ball...out, taking away the inside forces the opponents to lower percentage plays (e.g alters the pass/run ratio))

Instilling fear is a coaching point. Ironically as you were putting this up I posted this on another thread..

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Woodley wouldn't do much without DL getting fixed first. Did you see how inept the DL was at creating pass rushing lane for LBs? All the front 7 ran into clusterfuck time after time - that wasn't just this Patriots game. Last year's AFCGG was exactly the same.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Which was why the Pats felt comfortable cutting Moss.....

That's called coaching, and right now, we're not getting enough of it.

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'll take both......

11. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Woodley is good buddies with Revis, and I'm sure he likes Rex Ryan.

BUT you think the Steelers will get rid of Woodley? Especially with James Harrison getting up there in age?

12. All Gas No Shake

they made no effort to resign him and then drafted 3 OLBs last draft ... i dont think theyre bringing him back, especially if it takes a franchise tag to do so (if it even exists)

13. Professor Frink

Wouldn't signing Woodley just fill one hole while opening another? If you let Harris walk you are pretty much guaranteed to have a huge drop off at ILB? Doesn't he play almost every snap? If Bart Scott gets hurt or age starts to catch up to him then you're doubly fucked.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This I don't agree with.

You can coach up all you want. You still don't win the Kentucky Derby on a Donkey. Jets need to pick up some premier NT - or switch to 4-3 if they can't find one.

15. All Gas No Shake

clearly we would have to draft an ILB if we signed woodley, just like we would likely draft an OLB if we re-sign harris ... but its easier to find an impact rookie at ILB than it is at OLB

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Harris is young and is a beast in the middle, Bart Scott is not getting any younger.

We need Harris, he will eventually be a defensive leader under Rex' scheme.

I'd rather address the line, more specifically a edge pass rusher or OLB, so like others have side I'll take both.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Adding Woodley to the mix while keeping Harris....would be the ideal situation.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You KNOW that won't come from DL - unless Rex changes the base of his scheme to the Wade-Phillips style 3-4, which I don't think is happening.

This is what I have observed from the past few games. Current DLs are serviceable, but their performances on passing down is piss-poor. By this I mean that this DL is not generating any push up the middle (Boy, I miss you Jenx) or create pass rushing lane for LBs. Ideally, NT would pick up 2 guys on him, and another DE should pick up 2 somewhere far away from NT - then we have a lane for pass rush up the middle. The other DE should be either 1 on 1 (No TE) or commanding double-team here too (on the strong side) Again, there will be a lane for pass rush. That's where ILBs are keying on for stuffing the run, and blitzing ILB or safety should run through this lane.

OLBs should handle the outside containment/pass rush.

This is obviously the ideal situation. Jets DL is NOT creating any sort of lane. All the blitzers are picked up at the LoS. QBs have a day to throw consequently. This problem must be addressed as soon as possible.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That's why I added the OLB part, what many don't get is in this offset 3-4 our OLB is basically a DE, in most situations.

The reason why Taylor who was a DE is now a OLB is pass rushers like that can be called either.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Oh. You meant by pass rushing OLB. Then I must have missed that part. :)