Dave Gettleman deserves our high praise

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

In the end, he gifted us Darnold and is driving Giants to oblivion. Can’t praise him enough. The GM that benefited us more than our own GM. Long live Dave. Jet fans love you and will be forever indebted to you.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Pretty fucking smug to think the Jets have it all over the Giants. They always seem to rise from the dead before the Jets even realize they’ve contracted some fatal infection.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Better to take chances with an infection than a bullet.

4. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Unless it’s zombies. If it’s zombies you always shoot first and ask questions later.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Are you saying their draft pick was fighting zombies or is a zombie?

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The man who did not believe any QB in 2018's NFL Draft was worth taking #2 overall, decided to take Daniel Jones #6 overall in the 2019 NFL Draft. You can't make this stuff up! You are right, Jets fans are lucky to have Darnold, and Gettleman deserves a big part of the credit. Like I have said in several threads over the last year: Passing on Darnold looks like a bad move right now, but pretty soon it is going to look downright horrendous and embarrassing.

BacktoQueens and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Rule #2: Always double tap, my friend, always double tap.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep. He passed on the best ranked QB in the best QB draft in more than a decade to pick the 3rd ranked QB in a weak QB draft, that most ranked in the late 20s of the first round or worse.

Also we must give the Browns some credit as well for taking Baker Mayfield instead of Darnold

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

With the amount of shit that Daniel Jones is getting, I’m almost, almost rooting for him.

But fuck the Giants.

Royal Tee likes this.
  10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

He's going to get about $9 million more in guaranteed money by being drafted 6th instead of around 20th, which is where he should have been at best. That should provide some comfort if the incredulity at what the Giants did bothers him.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He passed on a QB prospect to draft the single best running back in football.

stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

Same with Geno Smith or Christian Hackenberg, you can't fault the player for being who they are. All you can do is fault the team for selecting them where they did.

So you would have too? Interesting.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I didn't say that but it's not like he didn't take an absolute stud in the draft.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

That is true. It is a calculated risk. If Jones is even halfway decent, it would be a good decision. The draft involves a lot of gambling and risks. If Jones is not good, and the Giants are in QB Hell for years, while Sam is dominating for the Jets, then it is bad. That is what I feel is most likely, but no one truly knows.

TonyFtLaud, Sam Hammer and Biggs like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He said he wasn’t in love with any of the prospects last year. To say that and draft Jones at 6 is a bit of an eyebrow raiser.
    That said, fuck the giants. And not in a I hate the giants way but in a I couldn’t careless about them 3 out of every 4 years. They are so unimportant to the jets as far as standing in the way of the playoffs and a super bowl

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That I agree with. I also think you can't discount how great Barkley is. For instance, even though pass rusher is probably more important than running back, I would still take Barkley this year ahead of both Bosa and Q. It's not like he didn't take an outright stud last year, he did. This years QB class was supposed to be trash as was the one a year before last which produced the NFL MVP.

I think Murray while a high risk prospect because of his height has better tools than Sam, Mayfield, Rosen or Allen. This years draft class might turn out to be very good?

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Say what you will, but if the roles where reversed, and Mac did that for the Jets, stud running back or not he would have been tarred, feathered and summarily crucified. Even the Williams versus /Allen triggered similar anger. But hey, they are the Giants, and some seem to think they are inmune from blunders and fuck ups because they won two SBs with Eli. Hope they become the bottom dwellers of NY for years to come.

Attackett likes this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Of course but if we had a 2 time SB MVP QB Mac wouldn't have been crucified. Plus Mac passed on Mahomes the year before and wasn't crucified for it.

FYI Gettleman took a QB prospect last. Senior bowl MVP fill in the blank Lauletta

#18 Biggs, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think the scenarios are the same here between Mac and Gettleman. Mac knew about Darnold very early.

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

That doesn’t help your argument, it furthers the opposite, which is that he should have picked the QB. Barkley imo is the best RB in football, better than Zeke, better than Gurley, etc. Not only did he run over, around and through everyone, but he also caught like 80 passes or something, and he did it all as a rookie. Barkley looked like a HOF’er in his first season. He was quite possibly the best you could do in drafting a player who’s a non-QB, and look where that got them.... the 6th worst team in the entire league. QB matters more than anything in the nfl. If you don’t have one, you’ll still suck, even with a HOF type running back. You pick the QB every time.