Darnold's long ball...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 11, 2018.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does he lack arm strength? Ive rewatched several USC games and I cant really put a finger on it.
    Robby wont be happy if he cant play his game which is burning corners deep down the field.
    If Sam doesnt have the confidence to chuck it, an explosive aspect of our offense gets taken away.

2. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Maybe a little late on the throw but look at the pocket presence, throwing on the run, creativity and accuracy.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Probably not the best point considering Darnold’s first career TD came on a 40 yard bomb to Anderson less than 12 hours ago...

PabloJa, Jets69, Pags2112 and 9 others like this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Only a matter of time before a negative thread came out.

After last night's win, just let the negative shit go for a week. He played a great game last night, especially for a rookie.

We broke so many long negative streaks last night. Points scored, special teams scores, defensive scores, etc. Why even think about anything negative right now.

I don't get it

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yea, but it was under thrown. The CB had a play on the ball and Robbie outfought him for it.

I think its more of a chemistry issue that will be worked out over the season, or at least I hope so.

6. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

The pass to Anderson was a little underthrown, but it was a laser. Boomer was going on and on about that throw this morning on the radio, saying he didn't realize he could sling the ball like that. Sam has the arm strength to make the throws.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe Robbie is so fast that unless the QB makes a quick first read and let’s it fly Robbie speed will cause him to outrun the ball and making it seem like it was underthrown.

Very few QBs have the arm strength to lead a WR with Anderson speed.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That may be possible, but I do believe that Sam needs to work with him on it more.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He didn’t hit Anderson perfectly in stride, no. Anderson had to fight for it. He did, and won.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of NFL Darnold to be overly concerned with his deep ball yet, but I get it. We all want to see that perfect strike hitting his receiver in stride 50 yards down the field, but as long as they keep winning they can be the second coming of the Shrecks for all I care.

fansince90 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Go rewatch the throw. He threw it flat foot and didn't even step into it. The fact that there is a negative thread today is absurd.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

His arm is fine. He might not have Allen or even Mayfield velocity but he is above average. Certainly he does not have a low velocity arm like Pennington, Sanchez or McElroy.

12. Red Menace

We have had this conversation about Anderson for 3 seasons now, I don’t think it’s negativity though.

Robbie is a freak when it comes to the speed he has, Darnold has to get used to letting it rip and not fear overthrowing Anderson. Josh Allen is probably the only QB in the NFL that can overthrow Anderson.

I’m still in schock about last nights game. All three phases did their job and what a pleasure it was to see a complete team effort.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m not talking about the throw. It was definitely undethrown. I’m talking about he notion that Anderson is going to get mad and there’s going to be some sort of issue. In the kids first ever game he threw him the ball for a deep TD. I think Robby probably understands that a 21 year old kid in his first game is going to be reluctant to let it fly right off the bat.

Red Menace and dawinner127 like this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He was a bit late with the throw but did the little shoulder shimmy shake to freeze the safety a bit and gave his playmaking WR a chance to make a play.

He certainly does not lack arm strength.

15. Red Menace

Yes the shoulder shimmy shake was a veteran move.

I’m having trouble getting used to your new avatar.

LF911SC and Attackett like this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Haha, I’m a fan boy man. I think I’m ready to change my username too.

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

When I saw the video of Darnold's preseason breakdown, I noticed he wasn't driving his lower body enough to get more power on the pass, but give it time. The main knocks on him coming out of the draft was that his throwing motion was too long and he had fumbling problems because he didn't hold onto the ball with two hands. He seems to have corrected both of those problems for the most part and its only a matter of time before he works on his power too. I do not believe Darnold lacks the strength to be able to throw a bit harder.

fansince90 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Yes. It was a laser and it comes out of his hand so effortlessly. No arm strength worries from me.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Robby had to slow down and fight a DB for the touchdown. I am hopeful that Darnold will come to learn that he does not have to worry about overthrowing Robbie and will start to let the deep balls rip.

fansince90 likes this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100% about Robbie and his speed. My comment about the negativity was more about the OP and his asinine assumption that Robbie will get mad if he doesn't get the ball thrown deep to him or the fact that Sam lacks any type of arm strength. That throw was flat foot and he didn't step into it. I'm sure we will see some where Robbie is hit in stride.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.