Darnold was accurate enough on the deep throws!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 9, 2019.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Darnold actually was accurate on both the late game throws....

On the 2:07 throw - Robby burned the DB already on the single move - as Gase said in the presser today, if Robby simply peels off the double move and goes straight up the field, Darnold never has to calculate where to throw the ball as much. Based on what Gase is saying the unnecessary double move caused Darnold to throw off platform - when Robby was already wide open off the single move. Darnold still gets some blame tho...
    See here:

On 1:30 throw - Robby stumbles around the 47yd line. Robby's coming off a calf injury but probably not completely 100% in regular season form yet. See here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2NN61LFZqw/?igshid=5r7e4fylh9x6

There's no under throw or overthrows here. It was simply bad execution by our "#1 wide receiver" mostly and Darnold/Robby not completely in sync.

You guys need lay off the kid!

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Love Sam, still think he’s going to be great. He missed those 2 and either could’ve won the game. Not a huge deal in week 1 as long as it’s not a recurring theme.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He missed the first one. That one I don't think he thought would be open and when he saw it, he reacted and underthrew it.

The second one bothers the fuck out of me. Robbie Anderson should have made an effort on that ball. Was it slightly overthrown, maybe, but him not making any effort on it was mind boggling.

And then he fuckin wonders why he's not taken seriously as a number 1 wide receiver

4. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

The problem is that a franchise QB is able to adjust and maneuver his throws based on the situation. Things still seem difficult for Sam, it seems like he can't make the clutch throws consistently...which is concerning. Not because I don't think he can do it or he wont do it--it's that we don't have that answer yet. Hoping by years end we can answer this--and hoping the answer is yes.

Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Damn right

He missed both throws but wait he didn’t miss them due to altered reality.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"The kid" is a professional athlete who gets paid to perform. People here are among those who fund his salary; they are entitled to call a spade a spade. This is not fourth grade intramurals where never is heard a discouraging word, nor should it be. It's not like Darnold is here reading the thoughts, and if he should happen to see this stuff and that should negatively affect his performance, then he's the wrong guy for the job.

Jets69 likes this.
  7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Gase’s route combinations are intricate as hell. You have multiple options every time you run a route which is why Crowder got so many targets as he’s the most complete route runner on our team. He found the open areas and executed.

Robby didn’t on that first one and the second he just didn’t have the speed to get that extra yard and a half separation.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Bottom line is our QB and our speedster aren’t on the same page. We can’t target Crowder 15-20 times a game every game. This board has and continues too massively overrate the Jets WR’s. Team that with a struggling OL and you get a jumpy QB like the one we saw Sunday.

We need to hope the Browns game is much easier on Sam because it’s a mini murderers row after that. If not he might end up with a case of the yips.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’s 22 playing in his second year, his first game in a brand new system behind a patchwork OL that’s average at best that played together for the first time on Sunday against a very good defense. He wasn’t even in the top 5 of problems or reasons we lost.

His timing was off on a throw, alert the media...

NYJFOREVER and LAJet like this.
  10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Sam threw some beauties to Robby last season, and will again. That said, I chalk Sunday's miss, or misses, to opening day rust. It was unfortunate that they put themselves into the position of NEEDING them so badly.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Adam Gase agrees-

Gase said that after watching the film, Darnold played better than he initially thought.

“He did a lot of really good things. We’ve just got to clean a few things up,” Gase said. “That’s to be expected, especially the first time out against that defense. I was encouraged after watching the film. It felt different during the game and after going back and watching it I feel a lot better about how he performed.

12. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

I wasn't impressed. Looks like a check down QB that doesn't take much risk. I think he'll be a good QB, but nothing about him looks special to me........I think he's close to his ceiling IMO.

I see him as a guy you have to put a lot of pieces around him like a great defense, great oline, stud receivers and stud RB for him to reach his full potential. He doesn't strike me as a QB that can carry a team for a full season if one of those components are missing. Just my opinion

#12 BuffaloBills06, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LMAO

Oh this is rich

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Solid trolling because you made it sound like you were actually serious. Nice form and technique here.