Darnold vs Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Aug 15, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I’m not a high end analyst, but did anyone else think Wilson threw a much tighter ball than Sam? Seemed like his passes had more juice.

Doesn’t mean he will be any better (Sam used to do well in scripted drives), but worth pointing out. Anyone agree?

2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Honestly I thought some of his passes looked weird but I was watching on my phone so maybe hard to tell. Looking forward to Saturday

3. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yup, crisp passes into very tight windows as soon as the receiver came out of their break the ball was delivered on time and in the spot where only the WR could make the catch without have to reach or contort to make the catch. Other than his poise, I thought he delivered the ball with very good velocity. I can't recall any touch passes (screen) he had to make, so I can't really say whether he's as good on those throws.

As far as Sam goes, I always thought he threw a better ball on the move. For whatever reason, both staffs took away that tool from Sam...

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Agreed, the ball always looked heavy when Sam threw on platform

jackie1013 likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

... because his mechanics and footwork were awful.

So glad he's gone.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Here's the confusing thing about Sam. In 2019, Gase's first year, Sam's second, the Jets led the league in opening drive TDs.

These were all 'scripted drives', which means the team practiced them in sequence at least a few time b4 the game. In 2019 we also had the leagues WORSE oline and nearly the WORSE wide receivers. The extra practice of the opening plays seemed to really help our depleted roster. But then the wheels fell off. Either Sam sucked, or our team looked like the Key Stone Cops running plays they hadn't practiced the day before the game.

So one minute Sam, Gase, and the Jets could lead the league in TDs, then the next minute be the worse team in the NFL.

SOOOOOOOOOOO frustrating.

Just glad that era is behind us.

azhar80, jackie1013 and ouchy like this.
  7. fua46

fua46 New Member

I don’t know how often you watch football or your football knowledge. This topic should be an easy one. There is a very significant difference that should be very obvious to those who watched SD and what we saw from ZW yesterday.

jackie1013, REVISion and PJ4Ever like this.
  8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

There was a lot of zip on the ball from relatively little arm movement - suggesting mechanics are good. It’s a shame he didn’t get the chance to launch one, just to spice up the preseason a bit.

jackie1013 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

"staff"

"tool"

You answered your own question.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

To answer the OP, I thought Wilson threw some nice balls. I would be interested to see how he does on some touch throws, but I was pleased with the zip and accuracy he displayed. I've never been one to think that zip is the be-all and end-all, though (not saying the OP intimated he was, by the way). Chad had very little zip even early on and threw a beautiful, catchable and highly accurate ball.

jackie1013 and legler82 like this.
  11. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

I think they both have bad mechanics

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s ok to elaborate.

(unless posters don’t like what you’re saying, of course)

13. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

In his college game footage, Wilson often does not display textbook footwork or mechanics. I’m no football coach, but there are some universal principles that he does not follow

14. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Don't overlook the fact that he looks better throwing, too. Short, quick passes will be much better coming from Wilson than Darnold simply because his feet and mechanics are naturally better. Will it all come together and make him a great qb? Way too early to tell, but it helps to not look like a fuck whistle on a quick 5 step drop.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nobody said Zach was perfect... or "textbook".
    I'm sure we'll see some goofy stuff when he gets pressured in and out of the pocket.

But his footwork, throwing motion and release... as well as the shape of the ball when it gets to the receiver is considerably better than
    Darnolds... it's not even close.

Sam threw water ballons... :confused:

jackie1013, FJF, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe the other teams' defenses adjusted and the Jets offense did not adjust.

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yup. the zip and timing on that out route to davis on 3rd and 6 was pretty impressive. as was the inside, outside read play on 3rd and 9 when he noticed the defense disguise and went outside over inside where pre play inside was the correct target. You can tell his film study is paying off. he looks comfortable out there. and anyone who thinks he doens't have a ton of zip is insane

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He maintains dynamic balance, which is the important thing.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Neither Darnold nor Wilson look(ed) anywhere near as good as Sanchez did at the start of his first year. He had outstanding footwork coming out of college, but it seemingly got worse every game through his career, great pocket awareness, good touch and accuracy....

And Sanchez sucked.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mechanics should only be a concern when it affects your accuracy &/or velocity IMO. If the ball gets there on time and in the right place, I don’t care how you look doing it.

#20 legler82, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021