Darnold To Anderson Connection...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jun 26, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

With the combination of a new coaching staff, free agent additions and a young franchise quarterback, the New York Jets are going to be a fascinating team to follow in 2019.

Being in the spotlight isn’t something unusual for this franchise, but hope is alive and well in the Big Apple. While many recent offseason stories have been focused on their front office, once the season begins, all eyes will be on second-year quarterback Sam Darnold in the hope that he can take this offense to the next level. To do so, Darnold and wideout Robby Anderson will need to build off the promising connection that was one of the most productive in the league down the stretch last year. Let’s take a more in-depth look at what the two accomplished last season and why it could mean big things for the upcoming year.

[​IMG]

Late in 2018, we discussed how Anderson’s development into more of a complete wide
    receiver
    led to an impressive late-season performance. In particular, the four-week span from Week 14-17 should have Adam Gase’s new staff feeling plenty optimistic as the two youngsters were putting fear into opposing secondaries. Of all wide receivers with 15 or more targets over those four weeks, Anderson finished with the fourth-highest receiving grade (83.4), while snagging 23-of-36 targets for 336 yards and three touchdowns. Anderson was also among the league’s best on a per-route basis, as he accumulated 2.53 yards per route run over that final stretch — eighth-best among wideouts in that span.

However, Anderson’s late-season spike in production was no coincidence. During that very same period, Darnold was finally showing exactly why the Jets took him third overall in the 2018 draft. From Week 14 to Week 17, Darnold earned the highest overall grade (87.7) of any quarterback in the NFL, accumulating 931 passing yards, six touchdowns and just one interception. So what was the difference in Darnold’s play? Look no further than his 118.5 passer rating from a clean pocket — a figure that ranked second among qualified quarterbacks over that final four-game span. This was a stark improvement from the 83.1 mark he set during the first 13 weeks, and it helped salvage an otherwise disappointing rookie campaign.

Darnold’s ability to step up in a clean pocket and make snap decisions is the clear area of strength for the young signal-caller. Despite releasing the ball in less than 2.5 seconds on only 42.1% of his dropbacks during Weeks 14-17, Darnold’s 121.5 passer rating when doing so was far and away the highest figure over that timespan.

There’s no doubt that Darnold and Anderson developed a chemistry that should carry right into the 2019 season. The results speak for themselves as the duo has played in 11 total regular season games together and Anderson finished with a 130.0-plus WR rating in five of them. Additionally, of Darnold’s five highest-graded passing performances, Anderson had at least 75 yards receiving and one touchdown in four of them.

The Darnold-Anderson connection has the potential to be a special one in the coming years and while it’s not a given, the vast improvements by both players down the stretch of the 2018 season is a strong indication that things are heading in the right direction.

NCJetsfan, Brook!, Mr mittens and 6 others like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I expect their chemistry to only get better. It wasn't just a one game wonder, this was 4 games vs pretty good defenses. In my eyes Robbie is not just the deep threat I thought he was but has really grown as a complete receiver in the last 4 games as much as Sam. Both seem to have grown together towards the end of the season. Douglas said one player that stood out to him while watching tape was Robbie. I hope Douglas extends Robbie (if he continues to produce) before he gets to FA. I would hate to lose him.

#2 BudJet, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Mr mittens likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A four game sample is too small to draw any conclusions.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Is anyone even drawing any conclusions? Weird that you landed at THAT conclusion.

LF911SC and BudJet like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

I didn't land at the conclusion that anyone was drawing conclusions. I only said people in general shouldn't draw conclusions. Seems like in your attempt to catch me doing something I wasn't doing, you did exactly what you were calling me out for doing.

6. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Wait,what?

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So you just randomly told people to do something that they weren’t doing? Odd behavior.

8. HomeoftheJets

Yeah. Like "Look both ways before you cross the street" or "Don't put pineapple on pizza." Perfectly normal.

LF911SC likes this.
  9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Robby Anderson has already proven he's one of the fastest WRs the Jets have ever had. He's already proven he can play at a high level in the NFL.

It's Darnold that has to prove he can make the jump into the upper echelon of NFL starting QBs.

If he does Darnold-to-Anderson should be special for years to come. Only things that could stop them is serious injuries or Robby's off the field problems.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’m up for this!!! Why not?

I bet you a million bucks if Brady and McDaniels had Anderson he would got for 1200 yards and 13 TD’s annually.

The guy runs clean routes, has good hands, and is elusive and fast as hell.

In my humble opinion no worse than the king Edelman

Sam just has to keep developing and O line too.
    And Gase has to scheme and play call well

11. HomeoftheJets

In the Pats offense you have to run those option routes perfectly or they cut you. No guarantee Anderson would do anything there, route running has never been his strong suit.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

"Don't leave 2 naked road lizards alone in your house with half a million dollars in jewelry."

RPOZ51, MoWilkBeast, themorey and 5 others like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Looks like the graphic is from PFF. Are the words theirs also?

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I wish I had these types of problems...... my bling is only worth 250K :(

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No one needs to be told that, it’s common sen......

16. FJF

That haircut though, amiright?

Mr mittens likes this.
  17. FJF

Robbie closed out the season strong and now with the defense having to game plan for bell first he should in theory get some more favorable matchups. No reason not to be excited about it.

Mr mittens likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Prerequisite for "signature" haircuts is to be ranked top 5 for the last month of the season.... c'mon, EVERYONE knows that.....

NCJetsfan, HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fuck you, I love Hawaiian pizza's (ie ham and pineapple in the UK) I have no idea why people think this is a problem, I have come to the conclusion that you and the other haters actually have no taste buds.

:D

20. FJF

It’s shit like this that made us want to leave your ass

TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.