Cut/Extend Mike White?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think JD makes MW and offer to stick as Zack's BU, but Mike will test the waters, looking for a starting job. If one doesn't materialize (it won't), then Mike can decide between a back up offer from JD or a BU offer from some other team. Either way, he's probably the best option as our BU going forward. Unless you'd like to see a 4th round draft pick brought in, which is a distinct possibility.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's possibly the biggest reason why I think he should be the one they trade. White & Flacco can both handle the job of backup QB, but Flacco would get a better return of the two because of the reasons you mention

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would. With half the teams in the league, if White goes there as a backup, and the starter gets hurt, and White plays great ... he's still immediately going back to being a backup the instant the starter is healthy again. But with the Jets? Zach Wilson hasn't proven anything yet. If Wilson were to get hurt this year, and White were to come in and play great (not even Cincinnati-last-year great, but just really good with a bunch of wins), there is absolutely no reason why he should lose his spot. The Jets (as long as their front office and coaching staff behaves competently - which I admit is no guarantee) offers an opportunity that isn't there everywhere else.

And Flacco should have been gone the instant White threw all over the Bengals. Flacco is to Saleh what Mark Brunell was to Rex; a fool's gold safety blanket ... and it cost Rex a Super Bowl that first year.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd cut or trade Flacco before cutting White.

Flacco doesn't seem very interested in mentoring or starting.
    I haven't seen a veteran QB milk a paycheck here like that since Michael Vick.

It baffles me that they actually traded a draft pick to get him back.
    That can be corrected by trading him to the next sucker tho.

abyzmul, BrowningNagle and stinkyB like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

To be fair, he tried like hell to get away.

HomeoftheJets, joe and stinkyB like this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Mike White is the regular season equivalent of our training camp superstars, people look at that one game and forget about the other 3 he played in. There is a reason he was a 5th round pick and did not stick with the team that drafted him.

Sure it would be nice to have the luxury of keeping him if they keep 3 QBs but if something does happen that we need a back up to come in I would much rather Flacco than White. Flaco may be well past his prime but I'd much rather have a former starter with years of experience if Wilson needs to sit a game or 2.

You bring up the Cinci game but I guess you forgot the following 2 games White had a 56% completion percentage, 1 TD and 4 INTs

HomeoftheJets, cval and bicketybam like this.
  7. Unhappyjetsfan

No, I just view them as a ceiling and a floor. And when I see a guy that young with that high a ceiling, I don't toss him away so I can hold on to an old guy collecting a paycheck that will never be on a Jets Super Bowl winning team.

8. BrowningNagle

Right but Flacco has never won a single game here. And its more than 3

9. The Waterboy

Well you lost me with, "that high a ceiling".
    Shades of Jonas Gray

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

White played great against Indy, going 7 for 11 for 95 yards and a TD before getting hurt. And that is his biggest problem - staying on the field. The guy got dinged up every game.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. Unhappyjetsfan

You don't know what the word "ceiling" means in the context of athletic performance?

12. The Waterboy

I know exactly what it means, that is why when I read what you wrote, "And when I see a guy that young with that high a ceiling", you lost me in that you think White has that high a ceiling.

13. BrowningNagle

Other than where he was drafted, which really shouldn’t mean anything, why are you so down on him?

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mean time, up here in LA, the rumor is Stafford is hurt. Not much info but apparently he is suffering from a little know type of elbow tendinitis that is preventing him from actually throwing the ball. The buzz is that it might be more significant than the initial report. May be a player trade where we give them one of our back ups QB could work, nothing fancy, but the Rams are deep and talented in most all positions. We can always use a back up OL. Just a crazy idea.

15. The Waterboy

I said if we had the luxury of carrying 3 QBs it would be nice and then we keep him. I just think if it did come down to having a back up QB come in that I would rather it be Flacco. Neither QB is the future so I think we are wasting time acting like one is. You keep the one that would be best this season and get what you can for the other.

I'm not down on him, I just don't get why many think he is some great back up to have around, i especially don't think that he has some high ceiling.

Outside of the Cinci game I just don't see much to get excited about in his game. Absent the Cinci game, if there were only the other 3 games to look at, do you think there would be this many people so high on him?

Do you think White has "that high a ceiling"?

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Unhappyjetsfan

Sure. In his first pro start he threw for 400 yards with a 107 QB rating ... and, most importantly, he won the freaking game (against a Super Bowl caliber team). What does that mean? It means he is capable of having excellent games against good teams - that's his ceiling. He's physically capable of making the throws and, for at least one game, he demonstrated he was mentally capable of beating a good team while carrying his own team on his back. In context, that one game was better than any game Zach Wilson had last year and it was also better than any game Mark Sanchez had in his first season.

Does that mean he will become a HOFer? No.
    Does that mean he will become a good starter in the league? No.
    Does that mean he will become a good backup? No.

But what it does mean is that he has a relatively high ceiling. Couple that with his age and inexperience and you'd have to be an idiot (in other words, someone who works for the Jets) to get rid of him; particularly when the alternative is a guy on his last legs and when you're not winning a Super Bowl this year regardless of which player you were to keep.

EDIT: Nobody is suggesting he be signed to a 5 year contract. Or that he be given the starting spot. We're just saying it's foolish to cut him (for no reason) or to trade him (for practically no value).

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

I think Mike White is exactly what you want in a backup QB. He’s accurate, decisive, bold and he happens to be the starting QBs best friend on the team

Flacco has no upside to keeping. He’s washed and has shown he can’t win when called to action anymore.

It’s an easy decision in my mind you keep 2 QBs and trade or cut the old washed up one

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Clown shoes as usual. Jesus this place is getting bad.

The White Knight!

19. The Waterboy

One game is what you are basing everything on, one game does not mean he has a high ceiling, one game should be looked at as part of his entire body of work.

It took 4 years for him to throw his first regular season pass. You would think that someone with so much potential would have been noticed by the Cowboys or Jets coaching staff. With all that potential why did they draft Wilson?

You end with " to trade him (for practically no value)". With QBs always being in demand and White having such a high ceiling, wouldn't you think that would demand some serious compensation in a trade? Does your statement really make sense?

#39 The Waterboy, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ty Johnson does not approve of this message