Cricket World Cup Anyone?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Poeman, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah probably not, heh.

I don't follow it much but knowing how big of a deal this is even is to a few countries and with India giving me the joy of winning it all back in 2011 (in awesome style) helps me appreciate it.

This time its in Austrailia/New Zealand. Those two have to be favorites...I'm rooting for the 'All Blacks', if India doesn't win.

#1 Poeman, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

edit, duplicate post

#2 Poeman, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Is this the "official" cricket thread or is it the other one?

Not sure which one to weigh in on.

_

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Obviously I created 2 thread by accident lol. Stupid phone

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Cock.

Cock.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

India and Pakistan both have weaker teams this year, but play each other in an important match tonight 10 PM EST.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yes sir, I along with over 400 million people in the world will be tuning in.

8. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

The Black Caps started strong. Hopefully they can keen that momentum all the way through.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Look for one of Australia, South Africa or New Zealand to win. They are clearly the strongest teams. India have a decent outside chance. England, Sri Lanka and Pakistan are outsiders and the rest will do pretty well to get out of the group stages.

My god, a thread on TGG where I might be able to sound knowledgeable.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I wish I understood it enough to know what's going on lol

11. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

I'll be watching. So much cricket this summer it's been great. New Zealand are looking very good but I think if we play to our potential no-one can get us.

12. displacedfan

I'm going to assume you know nothing and work my way to tell you the basics.

Cricket is most similar to the American sport baseball.

Cricket is 50 overs (think innings) of one team batting then 50 overs of another team, that's it, most runs win.

You get 50 overs or 10 outs, whichever comes first. Outs are made by hitting a ball that is caught in the air, the ball hitting the wickets (physical strike zone) on a bowl (pitch). Outs are also made if the ball hits the wickets (think base now) before the player reaches the wickets (area surrounding the base, think ball beating the runner to the bag)

Each over has 6 pitches. So you get 50*6, 300 pitches in your turn to bat.

To score a run, you hit the ball in any direction, there is no fair/foul area. There are two batters, one on each of side. When they switch sides, a run is scored. If the ball leaves the big circle (think baseball field) off the bounce or rolls out, it's 4 runs (ground rule double). If the ball leaves the circle in the air, it's 6 runs (think home run). If one batter gets out, that batter leaves the field for good and the next batter comes and takes his place. If the ball is hit into the field of the play, the batsmen need to make a choice if they want to try for 0,1,2,or 3 runs. Once the ball is in the field of the play, the only way they get out is being thrown out (the ball hits the wickets before they reach that area).

That's the basics. Scores can get really really high obviously. It's not uncommon for players to score 50+ runs individually. Outs are difficult to get. Uhh that's basic understanding to understand what is going on.

Hope that helps.

BeastBeach and highflyer like this.
  13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoy cricket. Got into it while I was in New Zealand. Wish we had it here.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I know they have a Twenty over game, called T20 that took off in 2006 and it essentially a 3 hour game. A game I definitely hope picks up, it's just in the US the Americans have this thing against a game invented by the English. Therefore, we made our own game that was INSPIRED by Cricket, called baseball.

A T20 version of the game would be great in the US...I love the idea of two batters in a partnership trying to get runs. Very strategic game involving fielding and tactical. Who knows...in 20-40 years maybe we pick it up in this country as a Sport.

15. MoWilkBeast

The US do have a team and a fairly new international standard ground in Florida. They play in the world qualifying tournaments but haven't been very successful recently. USA did qualify for a Champions Trophy (mini world cup) in the mid-2000s. There used to be a thriving league in the Philly area, talking many years ago, and many of the clubs still exist in some form. I'm pretty sure there is a ground somewhere within NY too. I think that USA against Canada was the first ever international game played back in the 1800s.

Displacedfan's excellent summary missed one common method of getting out - LBW (Leg Before Wicket). This is basically when the batter gets his body in the way of a ball (pitch) that was going to hit the stumps (strike zone). It's a bit more complicated than that though, but that's it essentially. Like baseball there's a lot of jargon that makes it tough for someone to just switch on and work out what's happening.

displacedfan likes this.
  16. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Oof and nz showed why we may be overrated today. Rough chase for such a low total against scotland

17. displacedfan

LBW! I didn't know whether to include it or not. It is important to bring up as it does occur where the bowler will call for it, so it is helpful to know what they are asking for. Good description.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

How popular is cricket in England nowadays? Do any of our UK posters know or share a perspective?

19. MoWilkBeast

Still very popular really, though everything pales into insignificance beside soccer. Not great attendances outside of international games but probably ranks as no 2 or 3 in terms of participation and popularity overall. Every England game against Australia this summer will sell out (they could probably sell these games out 5 times over), games against other countries don't sell out as easily.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

is Cricket the 2nd best world sport after soccer?