Cowboys resign DeMarcus Lawrence - 5yrs 105M [65M guaranteed]

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 101GangGreen101, Apr 5, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Remember when all these great pass rushers were going to be on the market

3. It might just very well be in our best interest to stay at 3 & draft our own.Josh Allen reminds me of Julian peterson

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I feel for the Texans, the cash they will have to put out for Clowney will be crazy

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

As predicted in one of the free agency threads months ago Lawrence gets his $20M/year.

Thankfully we have a shot to get our own edge beast in Bosa or Allen.

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

He seems deserving of it. I'm just glad that NFL players are getting larger amounts guaranteed in their contracts. As the major sport in the US, it is shocking how little power the players have in contracts compared to other sports. MLB takes care of their players for life, NBA superstars literally control who signs where. In the NFL, they have so little power.

7. FJF

The sports are so different you can’t compare the way the players are paid.the nba has such a small roster and is the most influenced by having at least one star player
    MLB has control of the players for so long before they are free agents that it keeps the salaries down for the younger players , letting them pay the stars .
    Couple that with the risk of injuries in those sports compared to football along with the roster size of a football team and it’s really unfair to compare them.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I thought there was a slim chance he'd hit the open market, but knew that was wishful thinking. We have a chance to land our own pass rusher who will be cheap for the next 4+ years.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I bet he struggles to crack double digit sacks this season.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He will be a lot slower off the mark being weighed down by all those money bags o_O or is that only when the Jets hand that cash over.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair quite a few of them did hit the market. ansah is still out there as far as i know, ford was traded, houston was released and went to indy, smith changed teams, barr hit the market but ultimately went back to minn, flowers hit the market, wake hit the market, vernon got traded.

so yeah basically 7 legit pass rushers changed teams this offseason (5 via FA and 2 via trade) plsu barr who hit the market for a little bit and fowler IIRC was on the open market but went back to LA. ansah is still there, shane ray is still there. we just didn't get one personally and to be fair the fact this draft has 5 of them in the top 16 players plus a 6th 1st round edge prospect also was the cause of that. why spend 100 million on a 30 eyar odl oft injured rusher like ansah when we can get a cheap 22 year old one in the draft?

personally I wanted mac to get one so we could trade back and focus on the o-line but i think mac played this well and we are better off in the long run with a bosa or allen and can worry about improving the o-line more next offseason. next years draft is pretty good for OT too. should be 2 taken in the top 10 and 4 in the 1st round plus a C and G. easily 6 1st round o-lineman 5 of which would be a good position for us and a good amonut of free agent tackles as well

12. FJF

If we are being honest we had a legit shot at one could be pass rusher and he got cold feet. All the rest were either not really in play or the second tier of talent. Not the a great pass rushing free agent class people were going in about in January.

stinkyB likes this.