Cowboys' Josh Brent arrested after crash kills teammate Jerry Brown

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by nycarl, Dec 8, 2012.

1. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

2. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Worst week for the NFL, he was on the Colts practice squad and was waived after the Jets game, sad, hearts and prayers to that young man's family.

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Sad

I wonder if Bob Costas thinks that if only there were no car and no alcohol this would have never happened

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

sad.
    but why does the driver always survive?

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I guess that's supposed to be funnny ... but how many more people have to die before assholes like Josh Brent FINALLY get it?? Someone dies every 13 minutes in this country because some irresponsible jackass doesn't have enough sense not to drink and drive. Is that not enough yet? How many more will it take? Maybe we should try for a death every 10 minutes.

What is it exactly, that these assholes don't understand? If you already know you're driving home DON'T HAVE MORE THAN ONE DRINK! How fucking hard is that to process? He already dodged the bullet once and it didn't sink into his thick skull. Now another mother will be burying her son this week. I have zero tolerence for this shit. In my world, he would be executed for murder.

I bet if we started exectuting enough of these drunken killers, people would start to think twice before they ordered that next round ... and judging from the size of this guy, I'm betting the waitress made plenty of trips.

#5 truthbtold, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I apologize if that came off as rude. I just had to take a shot at mother hen Bob Costas

I definitely understand the seriousness of alcohol and getting behind the wheel.

That said, without knowing all the details, if BOTH of them were drinking and got drunk and Brown voluntarily got in the car with him it is hard for me to sit here and pass judgment on Brent (obviously other than driving drunk like an idiot) and say he is responsible for Brown's death moreso than Brown himself. It could just have easily been Brown driving and Brent dead.

Obviously if Brent did anything like volunteering to be designated driver and saying he wasn't drunk then he definitely is more responsible. But I know that many times the friend driving is the friend who is less drunk of the two. Brown also could have called a cab.

#6 BeastBeach, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

While I too agree that drunk driving is a terrible thing, that is extreme.

Sadly, in my opinion, Jerry Brown assumes some responsibility for getting into the car with someone under the influence.

8. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

My guess is that people don't think they are drunk. They believe they are okay. They don't realize that they are being impaired by the alcohol.

9. ibleedgreen7476

115 people die a day in regular car accidents, but no one's up in arms to ban automobiles. Drunk driving stats are extremely skewed, people under the legal limit who crash add to the stats as well as accidents where a pedestrian is a drunk and the driver sober gets recorded as an "alcohol related" crash. I'm 26 years old, I've already lost two close friends to accidents, I think it's a joke that someone their deaths would have been somehow "less" tragic if everyone was sober. Driving is dangerous, accidents will happen and people will die. In my opinion it's disrespectful that all the focus goes on someone drinking instead of someone being dead.

10. truthbtold

I'm not sure I get your point. There's HUGE difference between an "accident" and having an irresponsible and reckless attitude for everyone else on the road. Obviously the guy knew he was driving home. So WHY did he get drunk? There is no answer, other than the obvious answer ... he didn't give a shit. Having those drinks was what he was concerned with .... so now a 25 year old man is dead and two families are devastated. And that's EXACTLY where the focus should be ... a reckless idiot killed someone because he didn't care enough to stop drinking.

And if you have a problem with the statistics, also consider this ... we're only talking about deaths here. We haven't even mentioned the thousands of people who are seriously / permanently injured every year by reckless drinking and driving. People who's lives are changed forever over a vodka tonic.

#10 truthbtold, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  11. truthbtold

I always hear that answer and it drives me crazy. No ... you can't make reasonable decisions after you've been drinking. So that's why you need to make them when you're sober. If you already know you're the one driving home ... and I'm sure 99% of drunk drivers know this ahead of time ... then DON'T GET DRUNK. It's not a hard goal to accomplish.

The fact that people will order drink after drink when they know they have to drive is mind boggling to me. Like I alluded to before ... when the waitress comes around, say NO. Or ... if drinking is so important to these guys here's how you do it ... Round 1 - club soda, Round -2 alcohol, Round 3- club soda, Round 4 - alcohol, Round 5 club soda. Everyone else just had 5 drinks ... you had 2. It's a pretty easy plan to follow.

Anyone who thinks they can order numerous drinks without being impaired is simply a moron ... or just doesn't give a shit.

12. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I agree with u 1000%.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i have less of a problem with him for being drunk than i do for him driving like an asshole.

if he was drunk and going 40 mph i bet he doesnt even get in an accident and if he did it would have the car flipping and skidding 1000 feet.

the fact he was going considerably faster than the speed limit is what killed the guy.

14. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

There is cause and effect. Accidents are just that accidents, getting hammered then climbing behind the wheel of a car is not an accident, it's an irresponsible on purpose.
    To place the blame on the dead guy is excusing the bad behavior of the driver. What if he was alone and killed another driver on the road? Is the other driver at fault as well?

I'm sure every team has number to call if a player needs a ride, or just call a cab.

#14 Bellows1, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

very very few "accidents" are actually accidents. there is typically something that could have been done to avoid the situation. like not speeding like a douche, like not cutting people off, like paying fucking attention, etc....

its actually really annoying to hear the word accident, it wasnt an accident it was bound to happen when you drive 40 mph over the speed limit.

16. 3xNFLChampion

3xNFLChampion Banned

Seeing that this was his second documented DUI (god knows how many he got away with) its not a stretch to label him at some stage of alcoholism, given that he was powerless to make any good decisions regarding booze or drugs. His brain and thinking have been altered, NOT EXCUSING him, just an attempt to put his delusional thinking into terms society can understand. Ultimately he is responsible and I hope feels it.

17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

This is horse manure. Powerless?

18. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Defense lawyer: concussion caused poor decision that night.

19. Combustible Rextible

Isn't there some kind of no-questions-asked free ride program for players? Don't understand why people don't use it...

20. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

It costs $85 bucks and the players don't want to leave their expensive cars out all night.

Not good reasons but that is probably why