Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Petrozza, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Oh. We were talking US cases alone? My bad. I didn't realize that part.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And thank god for that. Good riddance.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Fiscal responsibility is important precisely for this kind of situation. If there ever were a situation for the government to run on deficit, now would be it. (Even Mankiw was saying this in early part of March. MANKIW! Many other scholars in Economics were sounding the alarm just the same, i.e. Ricardo Reis.) Specifically, Mankiw suggested 1000$ check straight to everybody's pocket, and said [that's a good starting point.]

2. Science is never perfect. It never was, is and will be. Nobody knows what to expect at start. Remember. Science is but a history of human stupidity. We have built this gigantic wall of science one brick at a time. Yes. We laid the bricks, removing one stupidity at a time with [experiments.] So - yes. There you have it. Science is not the "perfect" tool to wade through these waves of misinformation in today's age, but it's still the best tool we've got. Superstitutions, wild goose chases, and conspiracy theories will amount to precisely nothing. They don't save lives. Scientists do. Even as we speak, scientists in the world are doing their very best to figure out how to handle the situation.

[My commentary: You see, what frustrates me more than anything these days is the typical American attitude, which can be easily summarized as "My ignorance is better than your expertise." We really should be doing better. Those who spread these narrative are... very harmful to the public, to say the very least.]

3. Easing the distancing measures prematurely will inevitably lead to massive infection boom again. Don't just take my words for it. South Korea tried reopening their school system, starting with kindergartens. They were hit hard by hundreds of infections. Same thing happened with Singapore. Both steered well clear of that idea after that. We shouldn't ease these measures either. That's us if we don't heed to the advice of the scientists. Am I the only one with this kind of tin-foil-hat idea? Many other MDs share the same opinion, starting with Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel. (I learned these from those doctors actually, to be precise.)

#1483 Zach, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're right, Bloomberg's third term confused me.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

My cousin up there is a cardiologist...... I texted him friday night just to see how he was doing..... "I'm in a warzone. A literal warzone". "Shit man, sorry. Is it as bad as we see on TV?" "MUCH worse than TV".... "F*#K... well, stay safe and tell JR. to work on those exercises I showed him the backyard for football season... he has the time!" "HA, I will, but I'm staying in a hotel as I've working in ICU all week..... btw, stay the F- away from your parents. This shit is the real deal!"

Aside from me giving him a few "gameday pep-talk" one-liners, That was basically our "conversation" :eek:

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Oh I don't doubt that at all. When you potentially have 60-80 deaths at one hospital it's likely a disaster. The poster is claiming that the death toll is 5-10 times higher (already at 70,000-140,000).

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

CNN and Fox reported this AM that the projected death toll from COVID in US will only be 60000 not 80000 or 200000 as a previous models suggested and way below the 1 million projected if Trump had not closed the Borders to China and Europe (reluctantly I assume)

I also heard 3 Drs (Dr Oz on Fox) all say the real evidence can ONLY be arrived at if we test more people in the US : if they have COVID or not eg some may be walking around with immunity already, asymptomatic, have full fledged virus etc

Until we do that we are all , including Trump and Democrats just talking out of our as@

The good news is that if you want to believe that these new projection are accurate social distancing and all the Interventions put out by CDC are working

Perhaps Trump does have a financial stake in hydrxychloriquine but according to Dr. Oz we need to use it with other drugs and report findings where it worked solo , together with azithro, a different antibiotic etc. since there were reports from Drs in France and China that it was effective

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it is way worse than they show on TV. In the US HIPAA doesn’t allow cameras and stuff in the ICUs, so us regular Americans don’t actually even see how bad it is....

that’s why you have dummies saying we should lift the travel bans and stuff, the death figures are just numbers to them and they don’t know what it’s like at the hospitals

9. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

The 60k is based on social distancing till august

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So here's my Shitty Shoddy Person Coronavirus Story. I was in the local supermarket yesterday, and this slob of an old lady was in front of me. I call her a slob because of what she did, and she completely expected to get away with it. I'm surprised she was able to stuff her fat sausage fingers into her gloves. She had a mask on and she was shaped like a washing machine box with a head, two arms, and two legs sticking out.

She starts putting her stuff on the conveyor belt, which is turned off all the time now to keep the belt from picking up more germs. The cashier also has a mask on and there's a plastic shield in front of her to protect her from spittle from slobs like that.

Here's when it happens: Old Lady Slob puts boxes and boxes of tissues on the belt and leans across it. She uses her whole washing machine box body to shovel it over and this jumbles all of the tissue boxes together in a messy pile.

The cashier, she was sharp. Her eyes immediately narrowed and she said, "The limit is 6. It should be 2 in my opinion, but you have 7. The limit is 6. You need to take one out." The gloves are coming off. It's on. It's Killer Cashier vs Washing Machine Box. OLS a/k/a WMB: "Well, I don't want the one that's opened. Take that one out." This is going to be good . . .

"YOU MEAN THE ONE YOU OPENED ON PURPOSE EXPECTING ME TO SELL IT TO YOU SO YOU COULD BUY OVER THE LIMIT? THE ONE YOU OPENED ON PURPOSE BECAUSE NOW IT CAN'T GO BACK ON THE SHELF AND BE RE-SOLD TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO NEEDS IT? IS THAT THE ONE YOU DON'T WANT? I JUST WANT TO BE SURE IF IT'S THE ONE THAT YOU OPENED BEFORE YOU GOT ON LINE THAT YOU DON'T WANT THAT NO-ONE ELSE CAN USE NOW BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR WAY. IS THAT THE ONE? I DON'T WANT ANY CONFUSION, I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO GIVE BACK ONE THAT YOU DIDN'T OPEN ON PURPOSE." WMB: "You're very rude. I found it that way." "You're very rude for opening it on purpose. I know what you did. What you going to do, complain to my manager?" Me to KC: " I'm a witness! I'll back you up, no worries!"

Killer Cashier a million, Washing Machine Box 0. She didn't even slink away, she huffed as if she was wronged. Me to KC, who is visibly upset and angry: "You did the right thing. Don't let it get you down. She's a selfish slob. I don't care if she's old. She was that way when she was young, believe it." KC: "I know. It's just really stressful and depressing sometimes. I had an old man tell me yesterday I do nothing for him. I could get sick, I have kids who rely on me, and this guy tells me I do nothing for him." "I can only imagine how that went, haha. I tend to cut old men breaks because they fought in one war or another, but sometimes you just have to call an asshole and asshole."

KC is definitely someone I could break bread with. Fuck you, Washing Machine Box.

Brook! and Mogriffjr like this.
  11. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

This is limitations of product in supermarkets in oz
    ENSURING ALL CUSTOMERS HAVE ACCESS TO NECESSITIES
    Our team members, suppliers and transport partners have been working hard to deliver more products to stores every day and we are stocking shelves as quickly as possible.

To continue to allow everyone the opportunity to purchase staple items, the following purchase limits are currently in place:

One pack per person:
    • Toilet paper
    • Paper towels
    Two items per person:
    • Pasta
    • Flour
    • Dry rice
    • Paper tissues
    • Hand sanitisers
    • Eggs
    • Frozen vegetables
    • Frozen desserts
    • Sugar
    • Canned tomatoes
    • Liquid soap
    • Nappies
    • Anti-bacterial wipes
    We will also be introducing some additional limits on certain items in each store. These can vary between stores, so please visit your local Coles for more information.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There is a very dangerous trend on the Right to make the facts not matter. Having a high-profile devotee of that trend gasp his last breath into a ventilator after sticking his thumb in the eye of conventional wisdom would not be the tragedy that many others deaths in this pandemic have been.

I don't want to see Bojo go because he's a very entertaining clown when he's not pulling Jackass-level stunts. That said, how many people do you think he killed in this pandemic by flouting the social distancing recommendations and jumping in front of the cameras in the ICU? 100? More?

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Blood is on his hands.

Just his supporting orangutans won't see it that way. (This is much bigger problem.) When they die because of the very thing they ignored, their family will instantly set up gofundme campaign, begging for money. And they will get it. That's the America I see.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/04...media-hoax-can-stopped-faith-days-later-died/

Snopes tell us that she is indeed real, and her family did set up gofundme campaign. From which they got shit ton of money.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/04/07/woman-who-called-pandemic-a-hoax/

#1493 Zach, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Using absolute extremities to try to make a political point is silly. There are absolute fucking morons who are liberal and there are absolute fucking morons who vote republican. Beyond popular belief these days, more people than not fall in the middle.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I want to agree with you. I do really. I want to believe that future is bright, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Except 49% approval rating for this clown of a president tells me something else. And that's even higher than any other time during this presidency. This president is looking to 1. rewrite his past gaffes 2. find a new scapegoat for his blunders. and 3. spin the new narrative in any way he can. His followers are blindly following his spins. Or how does he get [higher] approval rating than before? Tell me that. After all the fuck-ups and mistakes, how does he even garner any support? I just don't understand.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's how it's been at Publix in FL for weeks (after the intial horder wave).... but good luck finding anti-bacterial wipes or sanitizers. Couldnt even find rubbing alcohol to make my own :confused:

18. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Doctors taking the time to actually understand what's happening suggest ventilators are useless:
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/08/doctors-say-ventilators-overused-for-covid-19/

Basically with COVID the lung sacs get filled with pus which blocks the air from reaching the blood flow. No matter how hard you pump in air (which damages the lungs) you can't get enough oxygen into the blood and patients die anyways and the 15% that make it have permanent lung and organ damage from the sedatives. People who were put on CPAP / BiPAP machines did just as well or better as ventilators

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

W got to 89% after 9/11. The fact that trump can't break 50% in a national emergency tells you what his real ceiling is. He is so disliked by so many that he has no path to the 50%+ it will take to get re-elected. And yeah he got 46%+ last time and got elected but that was a really unusual election against a really clueless opponent. Won't happen again.

The conventional wisdom is that Trump will be hard to beat but the reality is that you can't fool Americans twice and that's what it would take for him to get re-elected.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Trump has a low ceiling but also a high floor. By the end of Bush's second term, his approval rating was in the gutter. I don't think Trump's can ever get that low.