Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Petrozza, Feb 11, 2020.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

While I am on the left, I do believe in stand your ground. Not in the way that got treyvon martin killed or that father in florida killed, but law abiding citizens if armed proportionately to the criminal should not yield public space to criminals. What i am saying may be naive but criminals should yeild to normals.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's not about politics, it's about common sense and keeping people from getting hurt. Why do you think that every retail corporation has policies that tell the employees to just obey whatever the thieves want and collect what information they can? Why have police departments all over the country been telling people the same thing for decades? Personal belongings can be replaced, lives cannot.

Joe Public does not walk around armed and trained to fight off robbers; why encourage that if they stand to lose more than what's in their pockets? And why choose now to make a political issue out of something that's been the same for fifty years?

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who said it was a political issue?
    Who said anything about armed robbers?
    Who said anything about grandma?
    Who are these thieves that want and collect information?

Why do you think carrying some form of self defense is a bad idea?
    Why do you think it stops at your iPhone?

You live in a bubble my friend.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nobody said it was a political issue, I said it was not - I asked way back if you were complaining about it to make it political; after all virtually everything you post here has a political undertone, even when you simply link Tweets from some dumbass; you declined to respond. If you'll note the "not political" was in response to someone who had posted he was "on the left" - that's a political statement.

I said something about armed robbers because the link you referred to talked about robbers and how to deal with them which apparently got you all wound up in the "emboldening criminals" thing. Most robbers use something more persuasive than simply saying "please."

I said something about grandma because grandma is more apt to be a target than her 20 year old lacrosse playing relative.

I have no idea who the criminals are that want and collect information - why do you ask? Is it Gates, Zuckerberg and Bezos?

I think that carrying self defense may be appropriate for a very small minority of the population. I think carrying illegal forms of "self defense" is bad for all.

What else after your cash and your phone? Your car keys, your retainer, your glasses? Maybe your little switchblade? What difference does it make?

I've lived in the same bubble for probably twice as long as you, probably seen and done five times what you've experienced and I've never been afraid, mugged or stabbed.

5. Darnasty

Darnasty Well-Known Member

2 days and not one Trump supporter can point out even one positive quality he brings to the presidency, yet you freaks will still vote for him.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to see a staunch trump supporter here. So I’m not sure who the “freaks” are.

7. Darnasty

Really? You post like 50x a day in all the political threads and you haven’t seen a trump supporter.

You vote for trump you are a trump supporter. Yet not one of you weasels can give one positive quality he brings to the presidency.

barfolomew likes this.
  8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I never voted for him. Just because I don’t like the actions of the far left, doesn’t make me a trump supporter. I’ve seen conservatives, but as I said, unless I missed it, I haven’t seen a staunch trump supporter. It is entirely possible to have a candidate from a side you support that you don’t care for.

9. Darnasty

Well I wasn’t saying you as in directly you, although you do seem to come to his defense quite a bit.

There are plenty of Trump supporters in here, not sure how you are missing it. Did you miss the guy who voted for Trump and will not only vote him again but will be mad if he loses despite Trump ripping off his family? LMAO

Ralebird and barfolomew like this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

At least hit the @ if you are going to speak about me. Don't be a fucking pussy about it.
    It must say a lot about how fucking shitty the Democratic candidate is if I'm still willing to bite the bullet and vote for Trump. Maybe if your party wasn't an absolute dumpster fire from the Bernie Sanders, Ilhan Omars and AOC's of the world who want full out communism maybe they would have won in 2016 and would win in 2020. But here we are - 2020 and Trump getting 4 more years.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Commies coming for your guns. LOL.

barfolomew and Catfish Billy like this.
  12. Darnasty

First of all I don’t have a political party, I lean more left on most social issues but I would vote for the best candidate regardless of which party they were aligned to. There is no question in this case who the better candidate is even if that candidate is not such a great option.

As far as tagging you goes, I’ve directly quoted you with specific question and others have as well in which you have ignored so I didn’t really see the point in tagging you.

You can’t even name one positive quality that trump brings to the presidency. If the left is a dumpster fire what exactly does that make trump?

barfolomew and Catfish Billy like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Yep, AOC and Omar sure pushed communism in 2016

barfolomew likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I like AOC...but Ilhan Omar is a trainwreck.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I’m slightly shocked you like AOC

right on

[​IMG]

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I believe her intent and earnestness.

I do think her New Green Deal was crazy talk...:confused:

barfolomew likes this.
  18. Darnasty

[​IMG]

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's pretty easy to understand why people went for the anti-establishment in 2016. Don't forget - people vote for what will help improve their situation not their best friends or their neighbors (although there are some people that virtue signal other wise).

I did not vote in 2016 because I felt that both candidates were dumpster fires. I'll never not vote again. The anti-establishment vote (like those who support and/or supported Donald Trump) comes from the previous 16 years. So I'll explain.

Bush destroyed this country in such a terrible way and even before him and the Iraq war, the Clinton administration created the housing bubble by pushing banks to send out mortgages to anyone who asked. Couple that with how the Iraq war crippled this country and it led us to the 2008 crash as soon as Obama took over (obviously not his fault). My dad lost his job at that time exclusively because the owners lost a ton of money (they own real estate as well as 4-location business). They laid off a lot of workers and my dad was one of them.

My mother worked for the same company and was able to keep health insurance for all of us. My dad bounced around from job to job until shortly after getting cancer which involved removing most of his digestive organs in a 17 hour surgery to preserve his life for an additional 5-6 years before he eventually passed. No need to apologize or sympathy that's not the point. Over the course of that surgery he was left unable to sit and had a permanent open wound on his backside that would need to be dressed and rebandaged every day by a medical professional. Jettison us into the passing of the ACA that skyrocketed premiums (for us - some have different experience and I acknowledge that).

My dad no longer could receive weekly nurse visits to care for his wound due to my mother's company taking advantage of the provisions of the ACA that allowed them to get shittier insurance with higher premiums. Enter my mom working 6 days a week/55+ hours and being a nurse when she came home (untrained). Not to mention the struggles to even afford health insurance anymore with how high deductibles went.

Socialized medicine turned a lot of people off from the left. My example is just one. I'm sure there are others.

Let's enter 2016 + beyond. Trump won (only one person in my family voted for him for reference). Why would anyone want to vote for him again? I vote with my wallet. Other people vote for different reasons. Please see the post below (that was largely ignored) as to how the economy was doing before this coronavirus disaster - which has been handled horribly by all public officials in my opinion, not just Trump.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/is-donald-trump-presidential.94072/#post-3942964

Biden has already said he's raising taxes, open to "reallocating police funds," or however he put it, and will blast the door wide open to China to repo manufacturing jobs that in large part had started to come back to the United States. The Chinese tariff play was a long term one that would go well beyond Trump's first four years. Consumer goods were going to go up (+$100 for an iPhone OH NO!!!!), and the policy makers in his administration new that. But we needed to attempt to bring jobs home. Similar to what he's doing to combat the pharmaceutical industry and reforming their pricing monopolies (largely ignored by most but he signed an executive order that they're furious about).

He's done a lot of good things outside of coronavirus including revamping NAFTA (it wasn't the worst trade deal in the world like he touts, but it was a good upgraded piece of bipartisan legislation), pushing criminal justice reform, the tax policies (which benefitted most every non-NJ, NY, CA or MA home owner - I think it was something like 87% of people benefitted), and other such deregulation that spurred economic growth.

You need to remember that people are also usually cemented along their party lines. Your morals and life probably align with not voting for candidates that say X on the right. @dawinner127 is a small business owner. Why would he ever vote for Trump despite a poor past with him? Because the economy was cranking for small business owners dude.

So just remember as you keep banging your "why?" drum, there's a history and a past and economic and social situation for everyone. And most people will vote for who they feel will help those situations for themselves.

I don't trust Biden OR socialized programs (formed by those in his cabinet) whatsoever. I'm a healthy 28 year old. Trump's handled coronavirus horribly. But I'll take my chances with that especially since the damage is done, over someone who may have policy makers in his administration to spend tons of money to force the green energy transition in four-eight years (we need to move away from oil but it's a longer process than being jammed in as it's still the life blood of the world economy) and a guy who will hit my wallet with taxes and horrible health care changes.

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nah, lots of people marry their brother.