Corona virus already hits NFL players...doesn't look good

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BudJet, Jun 15, 2020.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Rapoport says Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott was one of the players who tested positive. And it comes one week after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said he would allow as many as 45,000 fans attend Cowboys games at AT&T Stadium.
    All we can do now is be positive. ..no pun intended, that these are isolated cases. If a few more teams have players showing positive for the virus it could dume the 2020 season.

#1 BudJet, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The NFL will face a real crisis if they open up in the fall without a vaccine.

All those hogs are going to get hit really hard by Covid-19 once they start facing off in the trenches. Huge body mass to oxygenate and relatively normal lungs to be doing it with. We could easily have a wave of high profile deaths, one that the NFL would never shake off it's record at this point given what we know about asymptomatic transmission and how the disease progresses.

I'm going to be really surprised if the NFL is willing to be the poster boy for bad sports management leading to a wave of public high profile African-american deaths unprecedented in western culture. One of the reasons the NBA shut down was because a player tested positive and they knew they had no way to stop the disease from spreading among a similarly physically disadvantaged target population.

Freddy Mondo, Noam and BudJet like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Unless you're 82 yrs old or suffer from diabetes getting the virus is kind of expected. 70% of ppl who catch it never even have symptoms and the rest have very mild symptoms.

I have no concern with athletes in the prime of their lives. Most won't even know they got it.

Fans on the other hand, we gotta keep our vulnerable ppl safe and at home until we have a vaccine. I'm not sure how we tell someone who's 350 pounds and suffers from asthma they have to stay home and watch the game from their couch. Doctor's note maybe stating a person either has the antibodies or is free up underlying conditions just to get in?

At a minimum, the NFL will have fans sign something freeing the NFL from corona lawsuits.

cval, RochesterJet, dmw and 4 others like this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Professional athletes are physically disadvantaged?

FJF likes this.
  5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

In my opinion most think the virus is over which is not the case:mad:

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  6. championjets69

Yes but are taking into account that they pass the virus along to that 82 year old U mentioned? :mad:

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cowboys have to be pretty happy knowing they won’t lose their star rb to COVID this season.

8. BroadwaySam

BroadwaySam Well-Known Member

I’d much rather he just never got it, but if Sam got coronavirus right now I’d breathe a sigh of relief.

Also there’s going to be football. Players are going to get it. The dumber fans (red states with laxed restrictions) will get it. It won’t matter.

9. FJF

Don’t forget protests.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. BroadwaySam

That’s irrelevant. The problem is going to be the states allowing too many fans without proper protective measures and the people that will be too stupid to follow them of they aren’t heavily enforced.

Also the states with the biggest protests aren’t seeing a spike at all. Texas sure wasn’t protesting. Nor was Arizona or South Carolina. And regardless that won’t be an issue in September.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that the NFL is going to be hugely different to soccer in the UK. Players have been in training for about a month now and each week there seems to be a team or two that has a couple of players who test positive. Given that there's bigger rosters there may well be more positive tests.

Brook! likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The bigger story is all the HIPAA violations happening with athletes, but who cares about patient confidentiality am I right?

EDIT: Also for anyone currently working in the healthcare field I'd love to know, are there any provisions in HIPAA that allow for disclosure of diagnoses of diseases when we're in a pandemic?

13. FJF

Of course the protestors are relevant. They will help continue the spread leading up to the begin of the season. of course there’s a chance there is no spike from the protests and the worry about fans in the stadium will be for nothing.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Common sense says there was going to be a spike whenever lockdowns are lifted because we're actually going out and interacting, perhaps the inevitable is happening sooner.

RochesterJet, dawinner127 and FJF like this.
  15. BroadwaySam

You're assuming protests are going to linger into August? I sure hope not for the sake of the country. Change should be coming way sooner. But that's another topic for another forum.

A state like Texas that is going to allow half capacity at their stadium while also not mandating masks is going to be WAY more of a problem than protests where plenty of people are wearing masks and are outdoors where the spread is less likely. The easy solution here for the NFL is to mandate that all stadiums require masks. That's common sense. Whether or not common sense will prevail remains to be seen. So far... eh....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. BroadwaySam

CT lockdowns were lifted weeks ago and the percentage of positive tests to total tests daily has continually decreased and is hovering around 2% daily which is fantastic. The states that took measures early on are going to see a lot more success through the summer than the ones that said fuck it. And those are the states that are going to pose problems for the NFL.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  17. championjets69

Until they find a vac cine for the virus u should think that the virus is lurking right outside your font door :mad:

18. BroadwaySam

Some things are so obvious that you can even agree with champ on it.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

How's CNN doing?

mrjet80, twown and rohirrim665 like this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I believe they need to quarantine players, coaches and all team personnel (and their families if they consent) for the entire season. I see that as the only way to keep everyone safe. All it takes is one infected person and multiple teams are shut down on quarantine and unable to play. I don't see how it can work otherwise.

Br4d likes this.