Cornerbacks the weakest link?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Any chance one of these rookies in camp winds up surprising everybody and becomes a starter at some point during the season?

Would be really nice to see a Robby Anderson type of performance at the CB position this preseason

If so, who is most likely to be that guy?

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

IMO the biggest issue with our corners is their height. Guidry had a good year and people are loving on MC2 but they’re only 5’8&10.

I think we’re going to match up very well with the Dolphins and Bills. But teams with bigger receivers ala Patriots, Tennessee, Broncos, and Bengals are going to be a problem.

Acad23 likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We're gonna need that good old-timey D-line pressure until we get some talent back there.

Saleh knows that.

bicketybam likes this.
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Michael Carter has the best chance to start. I think Hall and Austin have the starting spots locked up, although Echols looks like he’s having a nice camp as well.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s the weakest link on the d but not as weak as it seems on paper. Hall is having a good camp. The reason Moore is making spectacular grabs is because the coverage is forcing him to . Hall has been all over him. Cb2 is the biggest question. Austin isn’t a lock, Echols could win that spot, Dunn could make a case for it too. Guidry in the slot is solid.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think we have two #2 corners. I think Bryce Hall is going to be very good and I think Bless Austin has a lot of potential.

As was said above, the biggest improvement for the pass defense is going to be the pass rush. The Defensive Line is going to be a force this year, I can just feel it. Carl Lawson, Sheldon Rankins, Vinny Curry, Quinnen Williams, Foley Fatukasi, and John Franklin-Myers is a crazy front. Pair that with a healthy CJ Mosley and Jarred Davis, I think the defense is going to be fine.

One of the biggest piece I am watching is getting Ashytn Davis back on the field. Once he is back, I think him and Maye will help the lack of talent at corner.

The 2022 Draft is going to be heavy on corner I have a feeling. Similar to what JD did in late rounds this draft, he may flip that approach focused on earlier in the draft.

Noam, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  7. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

A. Davis is out for awhile. I BELIEVE into week 2 of the season? Could be wrong though. He struggled last year, as most secondary rookies do, least of all with a shortened covid camp. Now injured in this camp. I firmly believe, if healthy, Lamarcus Joyner, will be the starting safety alongside Maye all season. Joyner can be a very good, experienced(and former CB) safety on the field. I think he will be very valuable to the cornerbacks.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Our biggest upgrade and improvement at corner was what we did to our pass rush adding Lawson, Rankins, Curry, Blair to go with Q, JFM, and Huff.

Hall seems ready to make a leap. He is having a great camp.

The 2 slot CBs Carter and Guidry are both impressing.

The question mark is the second corner. While Bless seems to be the favorite. Dunn, Pinnock and Eichols have all impressed. Eichols is versatile and can play slot as well. Dunn got a lot of buzz in OTAs but I have heard nothing about him since camp opened. Pinnock has been flashing a lot and Eichols had some flashes yesterday when he got some 1st team work.

My bet on the three rookies is on Pinnock.

As far as making the roster we are likely to take 7 CBs. Hall, Carter, Guidry and Hardee (ST) are locks. Leaving 3 of Bless, Pinnock, Dunn and Eichols.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

As we all know the CB position starts with our front 4 - our D-Line (look at those SB winning NY Giants D's that harassed Tom Brady). As long as both of Carl Lawson from the edge and Quinnen Williams within the interior FEASTS? Our CBs will be golden.

I think both Hall/Bless start as our #1 and #2 but my favorite CB in terms of long term potential is Jason Pinnock out of Pittsburgh. This kid has excellent size and strength @ 6'0/201 lbs and in regards to both man to man press coverage and bump and run he's as physical as they come and attacks at the LOS; he's my favorite CB drafted by us.

I'm excited for this CB unit. I'm thankful we're no longer trotting out past their prime and washed up CBs and I think these kids are really talented. Because imo the CB position is a young man's game.

It all starts up front though. Lawson/QW FEASTS and these CBs will be in position to make plays on the ball.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Get Stingley or Elam in next year's draft and the group will become a strong link, zone scheme be damned.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I love them both and as an FSU fan I rarely dream about Florida Gators kids but Elam is A+ and so is Stingley Jr.

I can picture us using Seattle's first plus our 3rd in order to trade up into the 1st for one of these kid CBs; like we did for Alijah Vera-Tucker this past draft.

Man. Zone. It doesn't matter. You need an elite #1 CB within today's NFL.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

it seems like at least lately it’s def Hall and Bless as the current 1 and 2. Dunn, Echols have gotten recent run the past few practices with the 1’s. I haven’t heard much of Pinnock lately. In the slot it’s Guidry and Carter, and Campbell getting name dropped by Saleh.

the Jets very well may carry 7 corners. Hardee makes it by default with ST’s. Hall and Bless are locks IMO so there’s 4 spots for 6 guys.

13. FJF

14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Could be an interesting add, maybe for one of our 2's next year.

legler82 likes this.
  15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Why tho? Moving young players like that is pretty much unheard of

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I was reading he never wanted to be in Jax and the effort is not there. They may feel they can get a better return now over giving him another year to under perform.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It makes no sense, but then again you have to remember how much of a dickhead Urban Meyer is and then you can understand why he wants to potentially move on from a guy who was having a good rookie campaign before he got hurt.

The same guy who drafted a runningback in the first round while having a 22 year old who tied for fifth in rushing last season on the roster despite playing in only 14 games.

Henderson probably admitted he's a protestant or something to Meyer.

Bryce Hall might be the mid-round starter we have needed to draft so badly for the past decade. He doesn't even have to be elite. This team has desperately needed one, let alone a couple, mid round plug and play guys.

BacktoQueens, FJF and abyzmul like this.
  18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think we’d be outbid on just a #2.
    Trade Mims and our #2 or Mims and Maye.

19. FJF

The problems with the Jets have been entire drafts busting for the last 12 years. I think hall is going to be better than plug and play though. Cb1 for the next 5-7 years.