Connor Cook

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Dec 16, 2014.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on Michigan St QB Connor Cook?
    Will he head to the draft or stay at school one more year?

I think he'd be crazy to stay at school. This is an incredibly weak QB class, where he is already 3rd ranked. Depending on the risk factor teams assign to Winston, he could even be the 2nd ranked QB on some team's board before all is said and done.

At 6'4", 220lbs, he's a big kid with a strong arm. Has a quick release, and some attributes of a potentially good pocket passer.
    The flip side is almost every scouting report would like his lower half mechanics to improve, which has affected his accuracy. that is certainly a big concern, and would take good QB coaching at the next level. maybe sitting most of first year in NFL is his best route.

and the big question......if he does come out, would you take him with our top 10 pick?
    I'm intrigued, but admittedly need to see more tape first.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

all aboard the Cook hype train. I'm your driver 101. I've talked about Cook for some time now going back to the beginning of the yr - he's my top QB prospect in the draft (if he comes out).

Checkout draftbreakdown.com - watch the tape again OSU. It's pretty good.

almbleamal and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Not a top 10 pick, think Kirk Cousins, he has had opportunities to play in big games in college football and the team has always Fallen short with a monster defense.

Top ten guy has to come in and play, take some lumps but his progress is visible to everyone.

Pass, until a later round.

I forgot his 2 games against Ohio and Stanford, excellent games, but not enough in my opinion to be a top 10.

#3 Red Menace, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. 101GangGreen101

Cook is more talented than Cousins. I hope you didn't think Mariota could come in and play right away. Cook is more pro-ready.

5. BacktoQueens

i see some Bortles in his style of play and his physical characteristics. although Bortles quicker on his feet, i think Cook a little quicker with his release.

we've seen Bortles play in his rookie year on a bad team, and it hasn't been very pretty.
    i think it would be similar with any of these QB's playing on the Jets unfortunately. ideally you'd sit them for most of the year, but you are right regarding the pressure to play a top 10 pick.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Red Menace

I never wanted Mariota, and I don't think his game is going to translate to the NFL even if he does sit for a year.

So because Cook has a leg up on MM does not make him a top ten pick in my opinion.

Like I said, I would pass on him with a top ten pick, if he is there in the 4th if the jets still have a 4th I would pick him up then.

7. 101GangGreen101

4th round? Lol that's crazy talk. Right now he's not a top 10 pick ... I see 15 to 20 but lol at 4th round.

Also Cook is a far better passer than Bortles. Bortles is trash.

8. BacktoQueens

yeah 4th round is crazy talk.
    Cook would go in the 1st, which is why i think he'd be crazy if he didn't go eligible this draft.

my comparison to Bortles wasn't meant as a negative tho.
    i think Bortles has potential as a big presence in the pocket. He's on a bad team, and is every bit of a rookie, and that's what we're seeing this season from him.

i think it would be similar results if the Jets drafted Cook (or even Mariota) and started him right away. we need to sign a vet to start the year.
    that wouldn't stop me from taking Cook top 10.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would take Cooper with our pick and if Cook is there at the end of R1, we could trade up for him.

NYJets17 and Red Menace like this.
  10. Red Menace

He is a game manager, the Spartans love to run the ball, he is smart, I'm not knocking his football iq but he is not an elite QB. A top pick is elite and if your not elite then you can wait till a later round, and I would prefer the jets select an OLB and WR with their 2 and 3rd picks after selecting an Oline man with their top 10 pick.

Winston is the only QB I want the jets to select with their top 10 pick........(uh oh, I think Stokes is knocking on my door).

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Stokes is knocking on everyone's door right now lol. Cook isn't an elite QB prospect - I think he's VERY GOOD like a Joe Flacco. This guy is not making it out of RD1, that I can 99% guarantee. He's better than you think. He's got a quick release, he's got a strong arm, he can throw on the run. He's got a lot of good things working for him.

I also believe he's more than just a game manager, he's made players around him better - you see now the stock of a Tony Lippett has increased plenty since Cook has been under center. He's got Langford running the rock and he's really good also - but at the end of the day we are building a good all around team - that includes having a good running game.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

I agree - we need that vet in here next yr regardless of who we draft. I hope we can provide a foundation for the young QB that includes getting this offensive line back in order.

I hate Bortles lol, IDK why ... it bothered me that this guy came out of no-where at the end of the collegiate season and was drafted over Bridgewater and Carr. Let's hope for the best, but I kind of hope Cook goes back to school because I doubt we will trade back up and get him. We are going to suck nxt yr also in my opinion.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. Red Menace

That's a fair strategy, if we can't get Winston or an elite oline man.

#13 Red Menace, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  14. 101GangGreen101

Fuck Winston and his slow ass release.

jetsons likes this.
  15. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I like Cook, and I wouldn't mind taking him (if he comes out), if we are able to trade down to fourteen or so. He's a big strong QB, who gets great velocity and zip on his balls. Now, his lower half mechanics, especially his footwork, need work, but with NFL coaching he'll be able to fix it rapidly. I know he said he wouldn't come out in October, but I have a feeling he'll change his mind, once the NFL advisory board gives him a top 15 grade.

16. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

? Didn't you say, you wouldn't mind Winston three days ago? NFL QB coaches will be able to fix Winston's slow release fairly easily. That's the least of my concerns with famous Jameis.

17. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

thats why win(loss) sunday no big deal
    Cook may be best of bunch
    will end up a Jet

18. 101GangGreen101

I'm just messing around :D ... of course I wouldn't mind Winston as long as he meets certain terms off the field like a Dez Bryant.

19. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Amari Cooper and trading back in for Cook is my dream scenario.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I don't know how we could get Cooper and trade back for Cook...it isn't plausible.

I think it's a moot point, Cook will probably stay another year.