Colts Rush D vs Ravens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 85inthehall, Jan 21, 2010.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I keep reading about how the Colts shutdown and limited the power running game of the Ravens last week. They held the Ravens to 87 yards on 19 carries and this is being used to show how they can stack up against the Jets running game. Problem with using those numbers is that the Jets have averaged 40 rushing attempts per game. So if you convert the Ravens stats to Jets numbers it is 40 carries @ 4.5 yard per carry it is 180 yards. Flacco threw the ball 35 times and not only at the end of the game when they were playing comeback. The Ravens went away from their run first power and let an injured QB try to win the game.

They went away from what got them there against the Pats:
    1st drive 15 Plays, 82 yards, 7:47 TOP
    they moved well, but at the Indy 8 they went run, incomplete, incomplete, FG
    2nd drive they had 3rd and 2 after two runs...the pass incomplete and punt
    3rd drive they have 2nd and 6 and run a screen to Rice instead of running and a sack
    4th Drive -WORST DRIVE OF THE GAME
    Get the ball at the two minute warning at their own 18
    Run to force an IND TO, but follow it up with INC, INC - take 22 seconds off the clock and IND scores a TD to end the half

Now they go into the half down 14 instead of running out the half and being in great position to continue running. The Jets will operate with a run first mentality to move the chains on anything less than 4 yards. Thus eating up clock and limiting the Colts O from being on the field.

2. freebo

freebo New Member

Good points.

However, I think it's going to be very hard to run the ball 40 times on us.

If the Jets can get first down after first down by running the ball then we will be in serious trouble. What I see is Sanchez having to pick up first downs through the air. If balanced right and executed properly then it could be successful against us.

I just don't see the Jets running all over us like a lot of people think they will. It's going to take a team effort, from all phases, to beat us.

3. 85inthehall

remember the Jets didn't get a 1st down in San Diego until the middle of the second quarter and still managed 40 rushing attempts. They don't need 1st down after 1st down to get those numbers.

4. freebo

freebo New Member

That's true, but do you really want to give Peyton as many drives as Rivers got? I am not trying to play the Peyton card here, but it is a valid point. The Jets not producing on offense early (3 and outs), definitely goes in our favor.

I don?t think we will get you guys in 3 and outs early on, but I hope we do as this would be great for us.

I like our chances of winning this game if we get up early by a few scores. It?s tough to come back running the ball.

5. 85inthehall

if the ravens hadn't played that 2 minute drive so poorly the score at the half would have been 10-3. If the Jets go into the half at that score i would be happy. Their D is playing very solid right now and better than they were in week 16.

They gave Rivers all kinds of drives with 3 and outs and the D held

6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

And to add to your point ...

There seems to be this idea out there that the Jets couldn't run against the Colts starters ... this is nonsense.

Here are the facts ...

1st Q -- Jones had 5 attempts ... runs of 1, 4, 4, 10, 4 ... 4.6 per carry
    0 attempts for Greene.

2nd Q -- Greene had 5 attempts ... runs of 0, 4, 4, 5, 21 ... 6.8 per carry
    Jones had 5 attempts ... runs of 1, 1, 4, 5, 0 ... 2.2 per carry

Total for the half ... 15 attempts - 68 yards ... 4.5 per carry!

What's wrong with that???? It looks to me like the Colts could be in for a long day on Sunday.

And for the record ...It got much, much worse for the Colts in the 2nd half ... but not really sure how deep into the 3rd Q their starters played.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

who cared bout the ravnes... this is the jets baby!

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The only thing that will stop the Jets from running the football over and over and over again is the Indy offense. If Indy gets up by two or more scores, we're fucked. If it's a close ball game, we will run it down Indy's throats until they puke.

9. freebo

freebo New Member

Maybe. Maybe not. I am not sold on it. I think our defense is very underrated.

We'll see soon. What do we have 3 1/2 days to go? Wow. It's getting closer. :beer:

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Indys pass defense is far scarier than their rush defense.

I would expect the jets to run the ball like crazy.

You do NOT want a rookie QB going against Freeney and Mathis often in the playoffs. I expect the jets to run it hard and to keep Sanchez on his feet.

11. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

This is almost as stupid as those Charger fags coming in here and saying the same thing.

Listen, the second best run D in the league was Cincy and we put up 175 on them.

We may not win. But saying we can't run on you is fucking stupid. We will gain yards and we will run whether you have 9/10/11 inside the box. We've proved it again and again: we just don't give a fuck, we're running anyway!

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Right.

You want Freeney and Mathis going up against Dbrick/Hunter and Woody/Turner.

Do that for the first half, and you'll have those two out of the game by the 4th quarter.

13. freebo

freebo New Member

I didn't say you could not run the ball effectively against us. When and where did I ever say that? Show me.

I said you wouldn't run all over us like most people seem to think.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Wouldn't 170+ yards rushing be considered running all over you?

15. freebo

freebo New Member

You are predicting that the Jets will run for 170+ yards on us?

Whether or not that comes true, to predict something like that is just bananas.

That?s like me saying Peyton is going to light you guys up for 450 yards and 5 TD?s.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

How is that bananas? That's exactly what the Jets have averaged this season. That's exactly what the Jets did to a much better Bengals run defense. And Manning hasn't averaged 450/5.

17. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

You realize we are averaging 175 yards a game on the ground through 18 weeks right? we did that 175 yards to the #2 defense in the league in back to back weeks. so no that isnt quite as bananas as that stat line for peyton

18. freebo

freebo New Member

And what makes you think you will run like that on the Colts?

Do you really think the Colts are going to come out and lollygag around seeing how much time they can run off the clock?

Get ready to see no-huddle from the get go and until the Colts get a big enough lead to crawl back into their shell.

If you guys get 170 yards against us then it will be garbage yards we give up playing the prevent.

How many yards did Baltimore get against us?

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Cincy had a top ranked run D and we ran wild on them 2 weeks in a row.

You can keep on thinking you have this stout Run defense, whatever helps you sleep at night.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

The only way the Colts stop us from running the ball is to pull away with there high powered offense. Otherwise, I see absolutely no reason why we can't do the same thing to the Colts that we've done to much better run defenses.

Of course the Colts are fully capable of putting up quick scores through the air, but the Jets have a fantastic pass D.