COLLEGE FOOTBALL SATURDAY

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by stinkyB, Dec 3, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it shouldn’t work that way, based on speculation like that. You earn your spot with what you accomplish and undefeated/ACC champs earns the spot

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

And that's how we end up with the average MOV being absurd and blowouts in the CFP semis. Just because you win a crappy conference doesn't mean you are one of the top 4 teams. If FSU won the B10 or B12 and then their QB got hurt, for sure. I could see them making a strong case to get in, but they play in a crappy ACC and their QB is out. The game will be a snoozefest just like all the other CFP semis. They cannot be in.

I cannot wait for the 12 team playoff. That is going to be incredible.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hard to feel bad for these power 5 schools when something like this happens. Undefeated G5 teams have been getting left out of top 5-6 bowl games let alone the playoffs forever.

I agree, FSU should be in but it’s an auto bye for whoever plays them IMO. Their only TD last night came on a 70 yard wildcat run. They struggled with 5-7 Florida (rivalry game and all I get it but still.

The other rub here is the committee is dying to get Georgia in. I think Michigan, Alabama, Texas, Washington in no order is the best way to get a competitive series. Keeps Georgia from 3-peating too.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Meh they played two ranked teams and Riley Leonard played on one ankle for a half before he left the game and Duke was actually leading.

Edit: sorry they beat LSU too but they clearly weren’t #5.

5. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

The irony of this situation is that under the original plan the play-off would have gone to 12 teams this year but the ACC, PAC12 and Big12 voted it down.

Imagine FSU not getting into the Play Offs, when they would have done if their conference had not voted the new play off down!

#45 Leicester Jet, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    dawinner127 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

I guess I don’t care that much. College football is a complete joke

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Speaking with bias here, cause I have a nephew that plays for FSU but what utter bullshit being undefeated in a Power 5 and not making it.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

you can’t just be undefeated, you gotta win cute to impress them lol, total joke

9. Jonathan_Vilma

But you defended the BCS. How is that any different? They incentivized blowout wins to move up in the rankings.

I agree it’s bullshit but is there any doubt that Florida State loses to any of these other teams by ten+ points? Maybe not Washington? Alabama, Texas, Georgia and Michigan would all curb stomp FSU without Travis.

stinkyB and dawinner127 like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

the BCS model wasn’t perfect at all, I defended it (kinda) because it was at least justifiable. They wanted to have the 2 best teams play for a title, it’s difficult to choose 2 team, I get it

How can you have a “playoff” though and not have an undefeated team in it.

And not just any undefeated team, Florida freakin State. That’s like the Yankees going undefeated and not making the playoffs

11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Maybe if FSU played in a decent conference, they would have made it. Alabama is clearly the next best team after the other 3. Florida State has no one good to play in their conference and it impresses no one.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Leicester Jet and dawinner127 like this.
  12. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Iowa looked liked the NY Jets of college football.

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

They played 2 SEC teams non conference, Clemson has been a power in recent years.
    Several ACC teams have been ranked in top 20 this year at different points.

SEC is $$$ and that is what it’s about.

I agree that FSU is not the same without Jordan Travis but the true Freshman who started yesterday would not be starter in Bowls, it would be Rodemaker.

While it would seem that they would lose to the 4 teams in playoff, don’t discount how good the Seminoles defense is, they would keep them in and make any game competitive.

14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Alabama beat the number 1 team in the country and their only loss is to a to 3 team.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

dawinner127 and Leicester Jet like this.
  15. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with college football is that actual decisions on who plays in a championship are made by committees that have these sort of subjective discussions. Alabama probably is a more talented team, but I have a hard time looking at a 13-0 power five champion and keeping them out- they beat every challenge they faced, Alabama didn't.

At least with the twelve team format next year this discussion can hopefully be kept to marginal teams.

16. BrowningNagle

The major bowls are all current and future SEC-Big10 teams

Florida state sticks out as the only one, and they get screwed for it.

They are probably gonna be joining the SEC now, I wouldn’t be surprised

17. BrowningNagle

Florida State QB Jordan Travis apologizes for not breaking his leg sooner so Florida State couldve been properly evaluated

what are we doing here? Just an embarrassment from the NCAA. They have ruined what once was a great sport.

18. BrowningNagle

Another thing that blows my mind about this terrible work from the NCAA - Florida State was clear and honest about Jordan Travis' injury and they got screwed for it.

They should've lied. "Jordan Travis is day-to-day with a lower leg injury" and they'd be IN the playoff right now.

Why incentivize schools to lie?

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is it too pessimistic of me to assume that legal sports betting has something to do with it?

BrowningNagle and stinkyB like this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I also just realized that both semi CFP games are being played on Monday the 1st instead of the 31st because NFL is on the 31st? WTF.