Coles Article from CBS Sportsline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Predator, Dec 23, 2006.

1. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Dec. 22, 2006
    Jamey Eisenberg
    Senior Fantasy Writer
    Tell Jamey your opinion

Trash talking in the NFL is always a good thing. It adds fun to the week leading up to the game.

Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson is usually good for a quote or two about the defensive back covering him. Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter likes to run his mouth, as does Atlanta defensive back DeAngelo Hall. And there's always Dallas wide receiver Terrell Owens, who talks trash almost as well as he spits.

This week, it was New York Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles adding more spice to the Dolphins-Jets rivalry. His target Thursday was Dolphins defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday.

When told that Holliday said the Dolphins shouldn't have lost to the Jets in their first meeting in Week 6, Coles said: "I'll be honest, I don't even know who Vonnie Holliday is."

Coles is closing in on a team record for receptions. (Getty Images)
    Coles wasn't trying to be funny, but he got a good laugh from the South Florida media on the conference call. His comment also became headlines in New York.

In Friday's New York Post, the headline was "Coles Has Pre-Holliday Bash." The Newark Star-Ledger headline was "Coles slight not in the Holliday spirit."

Coles isn't someone who seeks attention, but he found it heading into Monday night's game. And don't expect Coles to shy away, even if Holliday comes looking for him. Coles is too tough to back down.

That toughness was on display early last season, when he came forward and revealed that he was sexually abused as a child. He also overcame a troubled college career in which he was kicked off the Florida State team as a senior for his involvement in a department-store scam that included star receiver Peter Warrick.

Coles has overcome a lot to reach this point in his career.

"He's a really tough guy," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "He's the type of receiver that's willing to block, willing to go over the middle, plays hurt and is a really good leader day in and day out with the approach that he takes. You see the hard work translate into the success that he's having. He's created that through his work ethic and his toughness."

Coles also knows how to deal with injuries. Last week, Coles caught a career-high 12 passes for 144 yards and a touchdown against Minnesota, but he also injured his back at the end of the game when he was crunched by a pair of Vikings linebackers.

Coles hasn't missed a start in six seasons, and he plans to be on the field Christmas night against the Dolphins.

"He's just a player that can play through pain and play through injuries that most receivers can't play through and still be productive," Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. "How he does it, I really don't know."

Coles described himself as "competitive" and wants to be out there trying to "help my team win." The Jets recognized Coles' effort this season by voting him as the team's Most Valuable Player. It's a well-deserved award.

Coles has 87 catches for 1,065 yards and six touchdowns this season. The Jets record for receptions in a season is 93 set by Al Toon in 1988, so Coles has a chance at history.

Coles isn't going to the Pro Bowl this year, but he doesn't care.

"I would take MVP of my team over going to the Pro Bowl any day," Coles said. "It's a great honor to have your teammates look at you as the MVP of the football team. That's something voted on by guys you?re around day in and day out. For them to feel I'm an important part of this team, it's a great feeling."

Coles hasn't been an MVP for Fantasy owners this year, but he has been a solid No. 2 wide receiver. He also has helped with the re-emergence of Pennington.

In the first game against Miami, Coles had five catches for 106 yards and two touchdowns. The Jets won 20-17, but Holliday wasn't impressed.

And that got Coles talking.

"Oh, he knows who Vonnie Holliday is, but I'm not about to get in a war of words with Laveranues Coles," said Holliday, who for the record is a former first-round pick by the Packers and in his second season with the Dolphins. "Obviously I struck a nerve."

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Did this d-bag call Coles a solid #2 reciever??? When will he get the respect he deserves this is absurd.

Coles is a #1 reciever dammit!

3. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

he was saying a #2 in FANTASY.... His numbers are excellent for a #2 in fantasy. There is no doubt that he is a very good #1 receiver in the REAL NFL