Clemson vs Ohio State - Lawrence vs Fields

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Rockinz, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Some really good college football on today! A lot of prospects for the Jets to have a good look at today.

Fields, Olave, Lawrence:( Etienne, Davonte Smith, Najee Harris, Waddle, Surtain

I am really interested too see how Fields vs Lawrence plays out! It would be nice to see Fields gave a game that makes him look special

2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I realize that this is a Jets website/message board, but since there is an NCAA football sub-forum, I am disappointed that the College Football forum isn't busier. There are a lot of knowledgeable football fans on this site, but I guess many of them are NFL-only fans, and don't really follow college that closely???

Anyway, I will be watching the games today. I think it will come down to Clemson/Bama yet again, which IMO is becoming a problem for College Football. I used to criticize women's college basketball for the competitive imbalance which plagued it when it was UCONN/Baylor and literally EVERYBODY ELSE...and now college football is like that. It is one thing to have a dynasty......but it is another thing when u have 1 -2 teams who are literally on a different plane of existence than everybody else. It is a joke that these two teams blow out EVERYONE ELSE, including other Top 10 or even Top 5 teams, just like it was a joke when UCONN would routinely win Final Four or National Title games by 30+ points.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I'd love to know why Mac Jones isn't higher graded as a prospect ? Stat-wise, he seems to be right up there with Trevor, Fields, and Wilson.

I know he plays on a loaded team with tons of weapons, but to an extent the other guys do. Why isn't he at least a Top 10 pick, if not a Top 5 or Top 3 QB prospect ?

I remember years ago you'd see QB's win the Heisman like Geno Toretta who were NEVER going to be high-ranked prospects because of their physical limitations (though with Kyler Murray, you now wonder if they were 20-30 years too soon !)......is it the same thing with Jones, Trask, etc ?

They seem to have the physical stature you want...seem to have the stats....why aren't they right below Trevor like Fields and Wilson ?

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Bama schooling ND. Mac Jones might get some consideration in the late first, early 2nd round. But OMG Najee Harris! I could see a trade back from #2 and taking him and looking for the rest of the big needs - QB, OL, etc. after that. What a beast!

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. JetsKickAss

What are the reasons that Mac Jones isn't higher-rated already ?

If he were to come back for another year...would he THEN be considered a shoo-in for Top 5 status and just a question of if he improves enough to justify going #1 ?

6. ColoradoContrails

I'm not sure, but from what I've seen of him he doesn't have an elite arm and he plays for a stacked team and great coach so it's hard to say how much his success due to his own abilities or to the other factors. He seems pretty accurate and might be a possibility to take with an early 2nd round pick and let him push Darnold.

NCJetsfan and JetsKickAss like this.
  7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Alabama is Wide Receiver University. Those guys are so good that it's hard to say that it's the QB that's the reason for their success. Add their running game to the equation and theirs much less pressure on the quarterback to perform. Makes it a little more challenging to evaluate the position. The knocks against him are lack of mobility and inability to hit the deep ball consistently, he underthrows his receivers often but they make plays. Hits the short and intermediate passes and manages the game well. A lot of his yardage is due to YAC from his receivers.

8. ColoradoContrails

Thanks! That all tracks with what I've seen of him. I wouldn't rule him out as a 2nd round pick to sit and learn behind Darnold or another vet.

9. JetsKickAss

Thanks guys...when someone is said not to have a "strong" arm....do they mean he throws it shorter by 5-10 yards...or closer to 10-15 yards less than his peers and/or with resulting lower velocity ?

I believe most NFL QBs can thow the ball 50 yards without movement; maybe 60-65 if they can move up a few yards. A few like Josh Allen and Elway years ago could throw it 70.

patleahy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Devonta Smith looks SPECIAL special. He just went up for a misthrown ball and it looked like he just floated in the air waiting for the delayed pass to arrive.

He's smallish (6'1" and skinny), but jeez he looks impressive.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Yeah he'd be a great addition, but I have a few others higher on my wishlist. I wouldn't be upset with him.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  12. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I always topped out at 30-35 yards.....which made me appreciate the guys who can legit sling it 60-70 yards lol

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Damn Davonta is such a stud! So is Harris! So is Mac Jones! Bama is stacked

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey bud. Moved this to main Jets forum. Will carry it back to NCAA forum once we finish watching the game together. Cheers! :)

Poeman likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets 1st- Davanta Smith
    Seattle 1st - Najee Harris
    Jets 2nd - Mac Jones

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Watching Trevor Lawrence is depressing now...............

Noam and Brook! like this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Let's see if Fields can bounce back. If he plays well this game and next I will be very happy.

18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Really excited to see Fields in a classic revenge game opportunity tonight.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's both, but is more the lack of velocity on their "fastball" when they need to zip a throw in to a tight window, but it's also a matter of not being able to get the ball to the WR quick enough on deep outs. Lesser arm strength means that the ball can float more, giving DBs a chance to make a play on the ball, and on deep routes, it means the WR having to slow down or stop to catch the ball, again allowing DBs to make a play on the ball, rather than being able to run under the ball. The lack of arm strength means that there are routes that are seldom run by an offense or are left out altogether. Remember when Chad was the Jets' QB? Opposing Ds knew that there were 2-3 routes that they knew they never had to worry about defending, and they were able to sit on the shorter routes, and stack the box. Also arm strength is important playing in the NE in the winter with the winds in NY/NJ.

#19 NCJetsfan, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope he has a great game to keep OSU fairly close, but I hope Clemson stomps the crap out of them.

Noam likes this.