Classic Rock

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nycarl, Sep 2, 2014.

1. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

Haven't heard this odd piece of psychedelia by the Who, including fake AM radio ads, in decades-

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Not related to the who video or album but I find it sad that there very little new rock music being created in the classic rock genre. I like hard rock and metal and all that jazz but what ever happened to that old time rock and roll?

If I had any musical talent I know where I'd focus my energy.

3. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Yeah that old "classis" rock sound is really a thing of the past. Elvis Costello is pretty close (on occasion). Some of the Killers b-sides have that feel too.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's a genre of music that has been tangented into oblivion, similar to blues. You can probably find some of it at local level, but it probably won't rear it's head in the mainstream due to dipshit music executives.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"More music!…more music!….more music!….more music!…"

"Radio London reminds you: go to the Church of your choice!…"

Fun album.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I still think there's a healthy blues following, but I agree it is at the local level. There's a blues club we go to in NYC and for the top 10 acts that play there, the place is always packed.

I wonder what Jimi and SRV would be doing now if they were still alive.

_

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

It literally got killed overnight by grunge, thank fuck! If thats the era you mean...motley cru, GnR , poison etc..?

If not and you're talking about the likes of led zep, yes and elp etc , then see the Punk era which did what grunge did call those years later. Once again thank fuck.

I love most music but hated the pompous arrogant wankers that circumnavigated the planet telling us that they were the latest rock gods.

Now, I'm into little small bands that hardly anyone has heard of and enjoy doing there thing and couldn't give a stuff about the 'big time', just making great music.
    Of course dinorock will live on for years to come, but hopefully we never ever see their like again.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Thinking more like Zepplin, Who, Beatles, Yes, Cream ... even the newer stuff - stones, petty, aerosmith yada yada

9. JStokes

That's why I just put on Pandora and set it to either Clapton, Cream, Blind Faith, Buffalo Springfield, SRV or Led Zepp.

_

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea and that's cool, it's just unfortunate there's almost no new stuff being written.

11. JStokes

I totally agree on the classic rock genre (which is totally unfortunate), but the blues (my favorite) hasn't changed in forever so anything anyone does that's new is still just the old stuff with a different set of problems.

_

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

In the mainstream you are correct, but there are tons of jam bands out there that do play that style, they just aren't well known. Not too many folks have heard of Railroad Earth or Donna the Buffalo, but they tear it up, especially live. Classic rock is definitely one of my favorite types of music. I'm a huge fan of Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Rolling Stones.

TNJet, Faux machine and Red Menace like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My wife and I go to a blues club in Newport RI, it was the original town police station and prison, old brick bldg, renovated and on Saturdays it's packed like a can of sardines.

We go early for dinner and stay through till closing.

In regards to classic rock, I still there is a lot of good music that fits into that genre, it's just harder to find because there is such a plethora of music.

The choices for music were not as extensive when the classic rock genre was being created.

Alabama Shake, Fitz and Tantrums, Brandi Carlisle, they have some good music that is not necessarily mainstream.

14. JStokes

Which club? Me and the GF are going to Newport in October. I think we're doing The Viking this trip.

_

15. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I used to go to grassroots every year, seem Donna the buffalo many times. Good band.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Newport blues cafe, If you can get a table upstairs get one, it gets packed.

The band determines the crowd, sometimes it's young ones, other times it's a little more mature..( until the alcohol takes effect)...;)

Enjoy!

17. JStokes

Oh yeah, I've walked passed it a bunch of times. It's not the list!

_

18. JStokes

Old school rock is still alive but man is it getting old.

Saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers last night and he put on a great great show. He played some cuts from his new album (also, kind of cool, with every ticket came a free download of the album so I'll be downloading it tonite) so maybe there is some new/old rock that’s still happening.

Petty is 63, but his voice sounded as good (or bad LOL) as it ever did, his stage presence was excellent and his lead guitarist just shredded the Garden all night long. Btw, the acoustics in the "new" Garden are great.

Weird, the warmup was Steve Winwood who I like 5X as much as Petty and he put on a good show and sounded great too. Last time I saw him his voice was a bit off but last night he was great. And he can play any instrument with equal expertise. Can't Find My Way Home still one of my favorites, he played a bunch of Traffic and Blind Faith and his solo stuff, the crowd really appreciated him. And HE'S 66.

Yeah, but not a lot of kids there.

_

19. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I recently saw Billy Joel for the first time (at the Nationals Stadium or Park or whatever they call it). He was great. Couldn't hit some of the higher notes like he used to, but he put on one hell of a show. I'm so glad I got to see him as I believe he is 65. I haven't been to a lot of concerts, but he may have been the best I've ever been to (the other best would be Radiohead).

I was considering trying to see Bob Seger live (not sure if he is currently touring). Anyone seen him recently? Would it be worth it or is he not what he was?

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love Winwood. Imo he had the best voice of any white male rocker. Better than all the rest. And he could play, too. One of the best music dvd's all time was Blind Faith at Hyde Park. I know Clapton sort of dissed Blind Faith, but imo he wanted to justify leaving England to pursue his career in the US.

As for music now i had been saying Queens of the Stone Age were a great example of it continuing, but they do seem to have slacked off recently after a great run right through the Ought Decade. Right now I like Jack White's latest album, and am very excited about the upcoming release from Trigger Hippy, which is led by the drummer from the Black Crowes, and has the great Joan Osborne share vocals with some guy in his early thirties. Check out Youtube for some of their live stuff. Trigger Hippy.

And there's still the Foo Fighters, too.