Chrebet a Coach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSFAN5180, Jun 2, 2006.

?

Bring Chrebet back at some capacity?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Do you think the New York Jets should bring him back in some capacity.Whether it be a coach or a a team spokesman?

2. jcjet

jcjet Member

Coach without a doubt

3. Pennington2Moss

Pennington2Moss New Member

I would love for the team to bring him back. I'm not sure coach is the best place for him though (even though i voted yes).

What made him great was his hands (something not easily taught). His route running ability, while good, was never stellar.

I definitely want to see Wayne with the team, I'm just not sure how...

4. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Why would he want to? He's 32 and set for life. He had a family. He's a millionaire...... He's from NJ, so I guess it's possible, but less and less, players become coaches because they are set for life.

5. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Yes i agree but lets remember this is WAYNE CHREBET.

6. STC

STC New Member

Id love to see him involved with the team somehow

7. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I would absolutly love to see him as a WR coach for the Jets in '07.

Give him this year to relax and be with his family, and let him realize how bored he will be doing that for the rest of his life. Then in 2007, offer him the job of being a Wide Receiver coach for the Jets.

8. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I’d like to see him involved with the team at some level; not sure what that is. On a side note – I was delighted that the Jets did the right thing by him on his retirement.

Wayne – lived and died a Jet like us fans; couldn’t respect a player more.

9. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I don't see him as a season long coach, but I could definitely invision him at the Jets complex every training camp, helping out as some sort of special assistant, motivator type.

10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I second that

I definatly think he will show up at training camps and help mold the new WRs, and maybe in a couple years, become a full-time coach

11. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

how could any Jets fan vote no?????????????

12. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Petro should offer him a Mod position.

13. Green Lantern 80

He would be an asset to the Jets in any capacity.

#13 Green Lantern 80, Jun 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2005
  14. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Definitely, a WR coach, he would be great for the job.

15. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

He would be great at any "positions" coach...........He 's a GAMER

16. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I voted no.

He was a great receiver who played on INSTINCT. He was NOT a good route runner. Anyone will tell you that. That's why he worked best with Testaverde. They just worked on their instinct, and Testaverde had a feel for what he would do. Vinny knew if the play called for a 10 yd out, he may get a 12 yard out out of Chrebet...

Chrebet was one of the best fighters I've seen though....

With a guy like this, I don;t know where he fits in as a coach. I don't think he works as a WR coach.

17. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Hahah. You seem to really be focusing on the "set for life" part. Maybe Wayne doesn't want to sit on his ass all day. Now that he's "set for life" perhaps he can get back into footbal another way and get that SB Ring yet.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Motivator, yes. But I agree he might not be the best option for coach. He can come to camps, and work on some nuances with the young kids, but season long may be out of his league.

I am a huge Chrebet fan, and seeing what happened to him over and over again sucked, but in the end, let's be honest and realistic. He was a great asset to the team, but at this point, as a face of the franchise, sure, as a coach, not so much.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I think he would be excellent working with Jets rookies - helping them getting acclimated with the NFL lifestyle and teaching them what it takes to succeed in the league. If he could pass his work ethic and toughness onto a percentage of the rookies that would be a big asset to the team.

20. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm not so sure how "set for life" Wayne is. "Critical Mass," as it's sometimes also referred to, is different for everyone anyhow. What one person thinks is enough money can be totally different than what another person is happy with.

But it's also not about the money with Wayne and like Dino says, he ain't the type to sit on his ass all day. I do know he's heavily involved with horse racing down at Monmouth and even owns a few horses. He's supposedly doing very well with this, but that doesn't rule out being involved with the Jets also, especially if a position were offered that doesn't conflict with horse racing season. With the new practice facility opening in north Jersey, it's not inconceivable he could do both.

Would he be a good coach? Sure. I disagree that he wasn't a good route runner, but even if he weren't, what's wrong with trying to impart instinctive behavior on rookies and teach them that some of the best plays on the field are those that are made impromptu or instinctively? Don't you think that every long-shot WR rookie who comes to TC in the summer doesn't dream of making the team as Chrebet did? And what better guy to have work with them on this?