Chan Gailey's offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Sep 4, 2015.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Although its only been preseason, the one thing that sticks out to me is that we actually look like we have an NFL offense. Some people may say its been the QBs, or changes to the skill position or possible improvement on the offensive line, but whether its been the back ups or starters, Petty, Fitz or Flynn, or maybe a commitment from a head coach to pay attention to the offense, there seems to be organization, a plan, and fluidity to the offense that frankly I can remember seeing for a long time. Will that translate to the regular season? Remains to be seen. But for the last 5 pre-seasons prior to this one, I think most of us came away with many more questions than answers after watching the offense sputter for 4 preseason games.

I believe 100% that its the simplicity of Gailey's offense for the QBs and the fact that he has been known to tailor things to the strengths of his players, not trying to fit square pegs into round holes (a la Shotty and Sporano.....and to some extend Marty M.). Lots were very skeptical about this hire, but I really can't say I have heard one negative thing about Gailey since he's been here on the field (the Geno starting thing is another story). This is refreshing for a change.

Again, this may all mean sh*t once the ball is snapped in 9 days but I definitely encouraged that this offense can be in the top 20 offenses this year which could help this team have a legit shot at the playoffs if the defense does its job.

Early props to Gailey.

BomberJet and Brook! like this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He was always a very good or. Hc is where he struggled

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Royal Tee and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  3. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

yes, the O has looked liked a real NFL offense. Remember the sparano pre-season? the starters did not score a single TD the entire preseason! We actually have a screen pass game now! If we can have a halfway decent offense and the D plays well, this will be a fun season.

Axel3419 likes this.
  4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Give it a couple plays and we'll see "Fire Gailey" threads probably before the first quarter is even over against the Browns.

Some fans just don't get it. You could run a sound scheme and still look disjointed if the players can't execute it.

Is there a single OC on any of the NFL teams that is liked by their fans?

Royal Tee likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He's always been known to cater to his talent which is exactly what we've lacked for the last decade it seems. My one worry is this, should Fitz remain starter:

Marshall can go up and get it. He's got the size, speed and strength to make grabs over any CB in the league especially in single coverage, which I'm assuming he will see a bit of considering who else will be on the field. Devin Smith was drafted for one reason (for now) and that's to be a burner that just gets open downfield. Fitz can't throw a ball farther than 30 yards it seems.

The Pros... he isn't going to force Fitz into doing something he can't do. He will also force Devin Smith to become a more well-rounded receiver over time. Marshall can catch slants all day and turn a comeback route into more yardage than most others too. Mostly for me, it could mean Ivory finally gets the carries he should and maybe, just maybe, we start executing screen passes to Powell!

The Cons... they are obvious.

This of course can and probably will all change once Geno comes back and starts in week 5.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The over-under on the first FIRE CHAN GAILEY billboard is 2.1 months. Overhead banner 1.6 months.

Royal Tee, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 3 others like this.
  7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Hilarious. Just shot coffee out my nose.

8. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

After Sporano and Marty M, I look back on Shotty fondly. He wasn't great but he was better than we gave him credit for back then. He was adequate.

Gailey looks like the real deal though, doesn't he. OTOH, Sanchez was simply incapable of throwing a screen pass...... I wonder what sort of offensive game plan Gailey would have come up with for him.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That poor sociopath must be squirming now that he can't use the Jets to steal money from dumb people and gain internet fame.

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The fire Gailey thread will be in full force by week 4, every turnover will be his fault, and the second guessing from the arm chair OC will always know what should've been called

Jake likes this.
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

need more wildcat

jonnyd and ajax like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I kinda miss all the useless pre-snap movement.

Freddy Mondo, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think I counted 1 maybe 2 delay of game flags the entire preseason, and we always had timeouts left. Part of that can probably be credited to the simplicity of the offense, but more than that, they got rid of the ridiculously complex WCO playcalling terminology that Schotty and Mornhinweg showed so much loyalty.

The route combinations implemented also do a great job of putting receivers in position to be open. I'm digging it. We'll probably still only be in the middle third of offensive production, but it's better than being last in the league.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Think we may regret the ability to go deep and vertical against those teams that boast strength up front and inside but as the only real way we can overcome this is Geno........I'm pretty pleased that we should at least be competitive.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course you will if it sucks, that's what fans do. You will also see applause if it's good.

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I will throw a chair if I see the WCO this year.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Very impressed at the spacing the wrs get and how there is usually only one one the tv screen when the ball is thrown.
    i like not wondering if the ball was thrown too short for the receiver standing at the 39 or to long for the wr 2 yards in front of him, then realizing it doesn't matter, they are both short of the first down marker

18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Yes. Last night I had the same thought. I know it was a vanilla game played by scrubs but I was impressed with how effortlessly the brand new QBs performed in it. I kept thinking: maybe even Geno could do this?

hwismer and jetsclaps like this.
  19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

or the three and a half yard pass on third and three.

20. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I'm very pleased how all our potential QBs are looking in gaileys system, especially fitz.

In 4 weeks jets fans will be showering IK with gifts and thank you cards, geno ain't coming back

dogg and NYJetsO12 like this.