Center: Linsley or Elfein

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 30, 2019.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

After the draft of all the positions I am most concerned about is the center position. Knowing the Packers and Vikings drafted centers they might be looking to trade or release theirs. Their starters last year were Linsley and Elfein.

Linsley would be the one I'd like. He played better than Elfein. Elfein didn't have a great year last year. Not sure if it was because he was a rookie or other reasons but Linsley could be a match if the Packers move on. To save money I could see it . Elfein I think the Vikings hold onto because he is on a rookie deal and is still young. Maybe he develops into a guard for them.

Be nice if we could get Linsley. Be a steady veteran that could help all. I fear Mac feels good with Harrison. He played well down the stretch just fear him starting for 16 games. Plus Long was so bad last year that maybe it made Harrison look so much better.

Pags2112, Noam, HomeoftheJets and 3 others like this.
  2. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

If GB is willing to move Linsley I am fine with that, maybe can use Lee as part of any deal, I hope
    Macc can scan the other rosters (now that the draft is complete) to find CB's or a Center....

Peebag likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hold my breath. After GasedandConfused suggested trading for Linsley yesterday, someone posted that on GB's website they list Jenkins as a G. I think they plan keeping Linsley at C and playing Jenkins as a G.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Didn't see that. Good point. Elfein is young and cheap. I know the Vikings took a few linemen but I can't see them moving on from him right now. I have a feeling if we get a center it'll be late August cuts. Can't say I'm against Harrison. Just feel with Darnold I'd want the best line I could in front of him. To even more important than playmakers. If Darnold is as good as people believe he'll raise the play of everyone around him. Without the time from the line though we won't see the development or him raising the others around him. I envision the TD pass to Anderson in Bills game last year running back 20 yards then forward being his game next year with this line. Hopefully I'm wrong. We'll see.

Aewhistory, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If they won't move Elfein, they might move their backup, Brett Jones. He isn't spectacular, but he should be an upgrade over anything we have to offer--17 NFL starts (3 last year when Elfein was hurt), CFL ROTY 2013, won a Grey Cup 2014. He's 28. They just re-signed him on April 1st, but that was before the draft...

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Dont Worry we have 100 million to spend on Free Agents = ooops---------> Don't worry Mac will now just focus on the draft and address it there = oooops-------> Don't worry there will be cuts made in trading camp by other teams and we will find a center and build our line with castoffs = rinse repeat Mike Mac and come back and see us next year

Cman68, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to trade for either guy, but don't think Minn or GB would do that.

Is Steve Wisniewski still available?
    I think we will need to sign a vet to compete with Harrison and Jon Toth, and hopefully one of them takes hold of the job.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Stefen Wisniewski is a free agent still, Steve looks a bit old at 52 :D

I think we need to go for him really, there can't be many better options out there even if it was just for 1-2 seasons.

9. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Are center is better no need to trade for center

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I would run and hide before they come looking for you lol Harrison isn't very well thought of as a starting C :eek:

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I heard the same thing about Minnesota. That the plan is to start both Bradbury and Elfein at guard and center. Would be very nice to get Linsley but Wisnewski might be a more realistic option.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

There'll be around 1200+ camp cuts during training cap, plus another 300+ good young player sitting on practice squads across the league. Even a blind GM should be able to find a center that's an upgrade to what we have.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're probably right.

And Macc probably won't.

14. NCJetsfan

I wondered about him. I think the Jets contacted him or his agent earlier in FA, but decided not to sign him, then he re-signed with the Vikes.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Is John Sullivan still out there? He's better than Wisniewski isn't he?

16. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I’m sure that the Jet’s offensive staff including pollack and gase have reviewed all their oline personnel including Harrison and have decided that they are OK with staying with him in a zone blocking scheme. The reason may be that he improved as the season went on and that they’ll be using a new zone blocking scheme where Harrison’s mobility may be a significant factor. We won’t know until we see them in games later this year. The sky is not falling and, maybe, just maybe, Frank Pollack is a better judge of how personnel will fit into his system than various random Jets fandom.

Jets81, almbleamal and Mr mittens like this.
  17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Right now the Vikings roster (per their official webpage) is showing 5 Centers. They can't keep 'em all....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

...and some of those camp cuts will be vets giving way to a rookie. Mac has most likely already notified GMs around the league he's looking for a Center, and will be willing to trade our 2020 7th round pick for the right Center, even if that guy is about to be cut free.

Mac will be cutting around 4-5 of our own players, some even after final cuts, to bring in a new guy cut from some other team.

19. NCJetsfan

If Pollack signs off on it, OK. I definitely trust and respect his judgment. Mac's, not so much.

20. NCJetsfan

Hopefully we will get a C before final cuts. OL play is all about chemistry, timing, knowing what your linemate on either side likes to do and will do, and working together as a unit, not as 5 individuals. If he's added after final cuts, that center won't have time to develop a rapport and timing with the other OL. Then we're stuck with Harrison for better or worse.