CBS Sports - "Unnecessary To Watch Tape On Revis"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

- Geno Smith

Ummm... What the hell is this?

2. Ajitator

If I were Revis, I'd be laughing at Geno too.

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

He likely means to avoid him all together.

It's not like the Jets have a number one for him to cover tho.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

oh boy - thats some nice incentive for #24......

still think they test him on offensive play #1.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

As a rookie in his first game, he will try to avoid throwing in Revis's direction. But you never know...It could be smoke.

We find out soon enough.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Seems like a stupid thing to say. I do wonder how much time QB's spend studying individual DB play though. I know they watch a ton of tape but I always imagined that as being focused on the defense in general rather than how specific DB's play. Maybe I'm way off base on that.

Anyway, how much time do you need to spend studying film on someone you should just not be throwing at?

7. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If I were the Jets, I would send Hill/Holmes on a full sprint down the field the first 5 plays of the game, even if we don't throw to them... Lets see how fast Revis gets those hips around ...

I don't think the guy is 100% and the Jets should take advantage of this.. How satisfying would it be if Geno threw a 50 yard bomb and Hill beats Revis for a TD??

Remember, Revis has not run full speed since Week 3 last year... Yea he has practiced the last few weeks but that is not game speed..

8. Ajitator

Even if the game plan is to avoid Revis all together, He should be studying game tape of one of the best CBs to ever do it the week of the game he's going to play him. We can't just ignore our #1 WR all game cause he's on Revis' side and Geno should be doing NOTHING but watching game film. Get in the books kid.

Honestly, This is the worst thing i've heard about Geno all summer - and it came from his own mouth.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you know that is something QB's normally do though? I don't know one way or another.

I always assumed they were spending there film study time looking at what the defense as a whole was doing answering questions like what type of coverage and blitzes to expect in different situations and personnel groupings.

Studying a specific DB strikes me as more of a WR task.

I could be dead wrong on that though.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The funniest part about this whole story is that there are so many fools that believe it. He wouldn't have the choice to watch the film on Revis.

#10 Don, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I think you are right on that... WR usually study the CB they are going against.. Their tendencies and such... But when you are going up against an elite CB like Revis, the QB should be studying him...

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Regardless, it's a dumb thing to say.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno isn't giving anything to the media. I like that let them focus in creating shit articles such as this one

14. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Welcome to the NFL rook, lesson #24 try not to give opposing players additional incentives or bulletin board material.

15. Ajitator

They study the tape to learn how the defense plays. Part of how the defense plays is how CBs line up and what they show at the start of a play. He should be trying to get every edge he can.

"By reputation" is one of the dumbest things i've heard a QB say.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We all know he has a chip on his shoulder and he probably got sick of Revis guffawing it up as to how he told the DC all about our offense (which of course he knows nothing about) and the OC all about our defense. Revis may have been laughing on the outside but I am sure it stung to hear a rookie QB say he didn't bother watching any film on him.

17. DanR

DanR Active Member

[​IMG]

I give Geno 4 games flat to show me something.

18. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

This is the main thing that concerns me about Geno, ARROGANCE. He oozes this, which can be a good thing when kept in check. The whole point of proving to everyone that he is a pocket passer even though he has the ability to use his legs. The draft was another example, I hope he can just be humble and make the most of his opportunity. My confidence in him keeping that in check, extremely low and borderline nil.

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

The answer is "yes". If there is a player of exceptional caliber on the opposing team then it's not uncommon to study tendencies of that player. Actually, I've seen a few articles written about P. Manning and Brady where they explicitly say they study certain top guys so that they can figure out a way to "look them off" or gain some other advantage.

Having said that, we would be gullible to think that Geno is not studying the Tampa defense with an emphasis on Revis. It's not like he has far to go to get years worth of game film on the guy. The Jets aren't stupid. They know they are going to have a long day if they intend to do much running. This game is going to come down to passing effectively and not turning the ball over. So, it would be in our collective best interests if Geno studies the HELL out of Revis.

A comment like this simply shows Geno's lack of maturity. The words should have never left his lips. He should have said, "our whole offense is studying to ensure we are good as we can be"...or something like that. Revis is already motivated because of his perceived slights against him by the Jets. I'm sure his motivation and intensity are rubbing off on his teammates as well. They really didn't need some more bulletin board fodder from some half baked rookie coming off like he's so good he doesn't need to study the best corner in the game...regardless if he's coming off injury.

Dumb move by Geno...he'll learn. Teams take every little thing said and use it as additional motivation.

20. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Non story. Why would Geno waste time studying a specific DB's tape? He should be focused on pre-snap reads based on defensive fronts and looks, and what progressions he should be going through for each situation.

Is he also supposed to spend time studying film on the other CBs, safetys and LBs? Give me a break.