Caught a Ball Kicked By Nick Folk Pregame

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by TheJetLife, Sep 27, 2015.

1. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share my experience. I was at the Jets-Eagles game today, and got there early to watch the players warm up and what not because I had great seats, 9th row behind one of the end zones and just a bit to the left of the goal post. Folk was taking practice kicks on the post where we were sitting. I told my dad "watch him kick wide left and the ball come right to us." Oddly enough, the next kick went wide left, landed on the steps to the left of us and took a great bounce in our direction to which I grabbed out of the air.

I was pretty excited and then the fans around me told me to hide it quickly, which confused me. I guess I wasn't quick enough because next thing I know the staff on the field were pointing at me and yelling for me to throw it back. I didn't understand why they would need it back so I tried to ignore him for a bit. Then he kept pointing and yelling towards me to return it and got his coworker to do the same. I didn't want to get harassed by them or anybody else so I threw it back to him. Two of the season ticket holders in my section came to me and told me that I could get a ball by either going down to the guy and complaining to him or submitting the experience on the Jets official website under the contact us section. I wasn't really in the mood to do either of those.

Luckily, after warmups ended, the guy called me down and returned what looked like the exact same ball to me. I am thankful for that but more thankful to the fans who were very supportive of me and gave me the advice. I think one of them (a lady who was a mother of one of the cheerleaders) even had something to do with getting the guy to give it back to me.

It wasn't signed or anything but its still pretty cool. An official NFL ball, with a Jets stamp on it, and has some clear pregame wear and tear on it (scuffs and scratches). I'm almost positive it was the same ball that I had caught that was originally kicked by Folk. Pretty cool experience overall. I'm just wondering, and if anybody knows I'd appreciate a response, why are they so uptight about getting the ball back? I'd imagine that they'd have a surplus of pregame balls to warm up with.

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Well a lot of the balls in the AFCE get deflated so they prob want to hold onto the few ones that aren't

PaPZ187, GangGreen1960, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don't have an answer for you but I am very happy you were able to get the ball back. It must be an awesome feeling. I am happy for you.

4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

They aren't like baseballs they have a certain amount and an even lesser amount of "kicking" balls. The equipment guys are pretty particular with which ones are used for practice/warmups, cold weather games, rainy games, ect.. I'm actually very surprised you got it back. Awesome for you though!

5. TheJetLife

Haha my father's guess was that it had something to do with deflate-gate. We used it as another reason to curse Brady.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it! It was a cool experience. A silver lining in the disappointing game we all witnessed after it happened.

Oh okay, thanks for the answer! I wouldn't have thought that the supply was that limited, though it does make sense. I guess I'm used to baseball when it comes to something like this. Have to keep in mind that footballs having particular air pressures and what not probably have an effect on the supply the team has for practice/warmups on a particular day. I guess they gave it back because the warmups were over and they figured they could get another one ready in its place for London lol

6. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

No problem. I wouldn't have known either I just have a couple buddies who work in equipment and talk like this came up when I was picking their brains about the Brady situation this Summer. It's not that they don't have the supply because they do its just they have certain balls for certain things and the kickers in particular have their own balls marked separately and they definitely are most strict with them.

TheJetLife likes this.
  7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

My guess is he probably only has a few balls to work with during warm ups but once they are done they can't be used in a game so at that point they become disposable. he can always get more next week or at halftime but during the warm ups they are limited.

TheJetLife likes this.
  8. TheSnake71

TheSnake71 Member

Congrats, that's a cool story!

I also caught a ball at a Jets game once... it was back on 11/29/98 vs. Carolina. Our seats were in Section 101 right behind the goal posts... center of the row.

Curtis Martin had a 60 yard TD run and John Hall set up for the PAT. They either weren't ready or there was a problem with the net and it was not fully up in time. Just before he kicked it I turned to my brother and said "This is coming right at us". Sure enough, the ball sails over the net and right into my hands. I caught it above my head... and someone in the row behind me knocked it loose... it bounced around on people hands trying to grab it and dropped right back into my seat. The guy tried to grab it but I ripped it right away from him and we popped it right into a large bag we had with us. Security never came and I still have the ball in a case behind my bar at home. I wish I could have had it signed at some point, but never did.
    [​IMG]

TheJetLife and 309'em like this.
  9. TheJetLife

Wow that's an awesome story! Glad to hear you were able to grab it. You got your hands on it first but of course someone knocked it loose on purpose. And what's cool is it was an actual game ball that contributed to some points for the Jets haha. Mine was a pregame warmup ball that he missed and I'm still considering on putting in some kind of effort to get Folk to sign it lol. I don't see it happening though

TheSnake71 likes this.
  10. TheSnake71

TheSnake71 Member

You can get Folk to sign that for sure. Now that we have kids in the family that go to the games every week we sometimes hang around for autographs postgame. We have gotten Folk to sign before... most of the guys who walk out do sign for people. Just bring the ball with you next time and hang out afterwards. I just wish I had done that with my ball when it happened back in 1998.

Yeah, of course someone tried to grab it. When I got it back he was none too happy either... I didn't elaborate before but the guy actually put me in a headlock/half nelson trying to get it back (there was quite a scrum for it). After it was secured I looked around to see who had done it and he hit me with a wet balled up napkin or something in the face. The blood was pumping so I got in his face... asked him if he had a problem and probably poked him in the chest once or twice... I'm a big guy and he wasn't... and my brother was right next to me and he's bigger than me... he sat down right quick and kept his mouth shut after that lol