Cassel can't be good right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrankieJetFavreFan, Sep 9, 2008.

1. FrankieJetFavreFan

His last start at QB WAS IN HIGHSCHOOL in 1999, he never started in college. I mean he cant be good right???? I dont want to get too confident but this guy couldnt even start in college. If Cassel turns into an avg qb i would be surprised, I think as long as the Jets hold Moss to less then 100 yards and stop maroney they will win in a blowout.

(Watch Cassel throw 400 yards and turn into the next Tom Brady now) lol

2. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

In college he was behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart and in the NFL he was behind Tom Brady. Saying that he has never started is kind of irrelevant.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

i dont even understand how he could not start a game in college, and make an NFL roster. forget how he could be a #2 qb. or the back up of Brady. So whatever. Could he be good? of course, but he could also suck terribly. Lets just put him on his back anyway just to make sure.

4. JetsLookingforDWare

I'll bet Cassel looks fine. I think too many people ignore just how good that *team* and that *offense* is, Brady or no Brady.

Who the fuck was Tom Brady when Drew Bledsoe went down? Some college backup and 6th round pick...not saying Cassel can't be Brady, but he doesn't even have to be. He doesn't even have to be close to as good as Brady for the Pats to be sick.

5. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

He looked pretty good when I saw him play but it might just be the team, they make anyone look good. Personally, I don't think Brady is nearly the QB Favre, Marino, Elway or Montana is. All those guys led some real mediocre teams deep into the playoffs or even won. Brady has never had to do that and couldn't IMO. The 01' Pats were excellent and it gets better from there. If Cassel does well, then it proves my point that this Pats team can make anyone look good.

6. Cassel will likely move the offense..the difference will likely be a few more sacks(Brady has exceptional pocket presence), turnovers, and a larger possibility of failure in the clutch moment.

7. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Meaning that he will be good just cause he backed up good QBs? If you are saying that then you are silly.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Have we really become so pessimistic as Jets fans that a guy like Matt Cassell can scare the living shit out of us? Hell, we were more optimistic about this game BEFORE Brady was injured.

Jeez.

9. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

No, meaning that judging him on the fact that he hasn't started isn't the best way to do it.

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Well he aint no Tom Brady so we should be okay.

11. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Lights Out!

Here's what I have heard (from watching ESPN, YES Network's football program, the local Jets TV show and reading the NYC newspapers a lot):

As soon Brady went down, the Pats changed their offense. This guy Cassel is no Brady. He doesn't have the arm or the accuracy. (Well, not many QBs do!) So the Jets should have an easier time guarding against the QB. Expect the Pats to run the ball more often, and use Cassel as, well, another Chad Pennington. A game manager.

The thing is (from what all experts say), more than half predict that the Pats will still make the playoffs because they have a very good OL, a great defense, Randy Moss, and many other great players. The other half concede that when a team suffers an injury like this, it's usually lights out.

From my own POV, watchin' the NFL for many years, it seems like bad luck comes in waves. I would not at all be surprised to see the Patriots suffer even more injuries--especially because they have been relying on a veteran team. Hey--I predicted this shakeup in the AFC before it happened. I'm no swami or nuttin', but still, I am an old man, and I have seen a lot of this before.

On the other hand, the New York Jets MUST defeat the Patriots this weekend or else we go down the tubes. The Patriots will be struggling. They're hurt. The Jets are coming off an emotional win against the 'Fins. The Jets are at home. The Pats will be comfortable nonetheless because they are division rivals. The Pats are depending on a backup QB who was able to run their team throughout he preseason.

To me, this is THE BIG TEST For the Jets defense, and especially for CoachMangini. Mangini has been taking a lot of heat for the kicking situation last week, all well-deserved. I won't be too surprised if the jets lose because I think Mangini is not a very good coach, and this is his biggest test. I am ready (and hoping) to eat crow... Although I also think Favre might have more to say about the outcome if the Jets can put up a lot of points and bury those Patriots.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I saw an awful lot of the game as it was on the TV next to the Jets game and I can tell you Cassel was very very lucky in that Chiefs game. On the play where he connected with Moss on that 55 yard completion I swear the Chiefs had a safety on 1st down and they were even celebrating like they had one. The TD pass he threw to Moss was somewhat wobbly and even though Surtain had no shot to make a play it may have helped if he didn't wait for Moss to get to the back of the endzone before he decided to move.

KC blitzed alot on 3rd down and Cassel spent alot of time scraping himself off the field as well. He threw 2 good passes and they had a good drive on primarily running plays to start the 2nd quarter. He looked good at times but he spent more time not looking good.

If the Cheats beat the Jets on Sunday I highly doubt that it's anything Cassel did.

#12 Barry the Baptist, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  13. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

If we stop the run we win. Cassell sucks. If the game is in his hands they will lose.

14. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

He could honestly be decent, but to say he'll be as good as Brady is kind of a stretch. You would have to imagine that he knows their offense and playbook, and he still has Moss and Welker to throw to. The question is how will their run game hold up since most teams will throw more guys in the box to force Cassel to throw.

15. Grogan

Grogan Banned

This could be one of, if not the dumbest thing I've ever seen a Jet fan post, and that's saying alot. The 01 Pats were a team of Jags and cast offs, they had an O line made up of a rookie LT, and three bargin basement Jags signed in late August. Then you have Troy Brown, David Patten who was cut buy the Giants, and Freddy "Boom Boom" Colman that couldn't make the Jets P.S. On top of that you have Jermaine Wiggins as your starting TE with two guys that never saw the field. Finish it off with Antone Smith as your starting RB, and you think thats "excellent"???? Now don't even get me started on defense, with the likes of Bobby Hamilton , Anthony Pleasent, and Ottis Smith!!! You Sir either just started watching football a year ago, or could be the least knowledgable on the topic of anyone on the planet.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I'm concerned about the Pats' running game. But I was concerned about he fish running game last week, so what do I know? The new players particularly Jenkins played well in stopping the run.

But if you look at the end of last year the Pats running game really went a few notches.

17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the fact that we can now hopefully stop the run is huge. MC is not Tom Brady and the Pats will obviously try to run a more ball control type game where MC only has to make 10 yard throws or less....His big play against KC was a hail mary type pass that moss made a great catch on, but we have a better secondary than KC.
    If we get ahead early and stop the run it will force the Pats to take chances and hopefully create some mistakes. The line will need to welcome MC into the NFL with a big fat sack on his first 3 and out drive.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Cassel > Montana

19. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I'm feeling pretty confident about sunday but not because of Cassel but rather how that NE defense played against one of the NFL's worst offenses, that lost it's starting QB mid-game.

20. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

If you have been around long enough to learn the play book at your own speed and keep a roster spot on a Bill Belichick team , then your a good enough player to start in this league. Cassel will not be asked to win this game , they will run and run and then set up the pass. Stop the run and he will be forced to beat us in the air and that's when we definitely have a win due to his lack of playing time.