Cary Williams on Patriots: 'They are cheaters'

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jixxjr, Aug 2, 2014.

1. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/cary-williams-patriots-they-are-cheaters

Cary Williams on Patriots: 'They are cheaters'

by Geoff Mosher

Later this month, the Eagles will head to Foxboro for a series of joint practices against the Patriots leading up to their preseason game. Last year, the Patriots came to Philly for the same purpose.
    Eagles cornerback Cary Williams made it clear Friday that he’s no fan of practicing against other teams, especially the Patriots, the culprits of the “Spygate” scandal.
    “They are cheaters,” Williams said. “They are.”
    In 2007, the Pats were fined $250,000 by the NFL and docked a 2008 first-round pick for illegally videotaping opponents’ defensive signals. Head coach Bill Belichick, who’s still the head coach, was fined an additional $500,000.
    Williams, whose disdain for the Patriots goes back to his days with the arch-rival Ravens and their heated playoff showdown, said there’s no benefit to practicing against other teams, especially a team with New England’s “history.”
    “You don’t wanna give any — I don’t care whether it’s the Patriots or it’s the the dang Bengals, whoever it is — you don’t want to give them an opportunity to look at your stuff,” he said. “That’s just me, from a personal standpoint. I don’t want to show none of my cards.
    “So to me it’s not benefiting us because they’ve already proven who they are (from Spygate), that’s their history. And I don’t like them, not only because of that, but because I just don’t like them. I played them three of four times in a row [in the playoffs].”
    Williams said he also hates the Steelers, one of Baltimore’s division rivals, and is developing a distaste for other NFC East teams, but he reserved the “cheaters” label exclusively for the Patriots and noted their Super Bowl drought since Spygate penalties were levied.
    “I’m trying not to go into details about it or disrespect that organization because I give that organization nothing but ... you still got to go out there and play the game,” he said. “All the credit. I give them all the credit in the world. But one fact still remains, they haven’t won a Super Bowl since they got caught.”
    He then added, “You got caught. I know you’re gonna be looking at the film when we go out there. That’s just that. I don’t want to show them my card. That’s just me, not them. Not them. Every team is gonna look at it anyway. We’re gonna look at what they do too.”
    Williams made his displeasure known last year, when he was booted from a joint practice after scuffling with a New England wideout. Eagles coach Chip Kelly and Belichick, coaching pals, made a prior agreement that any player caught tussling would be kicked out of practice.
    The Ravens and Patriots met three times in the playoffs when Williams played for Baltimore, with the Ravens winning twice. They squared off in the AFC Championship Game twice, with New England winning 23-20 in 2011 and Baltimore prevailing 28-13 the following season.
    Joint practices have become trendy around the league. The Patriots are also having combined sessions with the Redskins this summer. Last year and in 2012, the Pats practiced against the Buccaneers leading up to a preseason game.
    The Eagles never had joint practices in Andy Reid’s 14 seasons. Before last year, the hadn’t practiced against another team in the preseason since working out with the Bills in 1998.
    Williams said the game intensity is lost when teams practice against each other leading up.
    “I like the mystery, you know what I mean?” he said. “I used to like the mystery, where you just come into camp, you do your camp, you go against those other guys and you get that itch to go hit some other guys. When you’re practicing against other guys, other teams early on, you don’t get that itch. That itch is gone.
    “And then there’s certain things in practice [last year] that I didn’t agree with that went down, so I know it’s going to be the same thing this year. To me, I didn’t see how we benefited from that practice at all. And maybe it’s because I do not like the Patriots.”
    Training camp is a week old, and this marks the second time Williams has sounded off about a certain topic. First, he said he likes to see fights in camp. Then, he explained why he should be considered one of the league's elite cornerbacks.
    This is all somewhat surprising because in the spring, he said wouldn't be as outspoken as he was last year.
    "I don't think I'm going to change much, but I think I'll be [wiser] with what I have to say," Williams said in April. "I'll be a little bit [smarter] before I react and talk a lot more."
    Never change, Cary.
    Tags:
    nfl, Philadelphia Eagles, Cary Williams, Chip Kelly, Bill Belichick, New England Patriots, geoff mosher
    E-mail Geoff Mosher at gmosher@comcastsportsnet.com.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Next up, the greatest Patriots defense you've ever seen.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We all agree

#3 FJF, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

The man is speaking the truth.

TNJet likes this.
  5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

He is right. But the reason the Pats havent won the Superbowl since Spygate is because they have refused to address the defense. The Pats teams had great defenses in their Superbowl years. Then it got horrible.

Cant win a Superbowl with a horrible defense.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Well at least you know where you stand with Cary Williams, can't fault him for that.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

But Bill Bellachick is totally a defensive genius! I swear!

The Pats also refuse to add premium WRs as well. Brady can only do so much with a bunch of scrubs and revolving door of targets each year.

8. irishwhip03

Very true. The two Superbowl years since they last won it they had Moss and Welker in 07 then Gronk and Hernandez in 2011. In the years since its been one bad signing after another and busts at the draft. BB's refusal to look for quality over quantity at draft time would drive me nuts if I was a Pats fan.

Just look at this past draft. Tons of offensive guys on the board that could've made an immediate impact with Brady and he goes Dline. Could be a nice pick but its not a game changing pick at all. People get on the Jets for reaching with McDougale. But dont bring up the biggest reach IMO with Garapollo. Its more of the "Its the Pats so lets give them the benefit of the doubt."

Drives me nuts.

Would never wish for Brady to go down with an injury but if it ever happened it would be similar to the Colts when Manning went down. In 2008 they were so complete that they could've went undefeated again in the regular season with Brady so Cassel coming in and winning 11 games wasnt a shock. Something tells me it wouldn't be the same if Brady had to miss time again.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^Yep. That team IS Tom Brady and they over rely on his ability. They think because he is so good they don't have to give him receiving threats, and I'm near positive that's why they have been a great regular season team but always lose to teams with worse records in the playoffs that have good pass rush. It's silly. He turned 37, it's only a matter of time before they need to replace him. If he went down they probably don't win 2 games now.

10. irishwhip03

Last year was just more proof. Brady was the only reason they were able to pull out those wins against the Saints, Browns and Broncos.

Those were 3 games they had no business winning. If people need to bring up the Jets getting "lucky" against the Bucs and Pats they should tell both sides of the story.

11. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

They haven't won because of their defense but at the same time they have just outright refused to surround Brady with adequate weapons. They probably feel he can get it done without them. Last year proved he couldn't. This year they have literally the same offensive weapons except for Lafell, who is dropping passes left and right in practice. Edelman, Amendola, and Kenbrell Thompkins are scaring no one. The x-factor might be Browner as according to reports is playing very physical in practice. He's going to miss the first four games and who knows if he will choose to opt for PEDs once again this season. Either way, their linebackers are a huge weakness. It is no coincidence they haven't won the big one since being caught cheating.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Anyone have the records of teams that practiced with the Pats? Didnt the Bucs practice with em last year? Didnt the 4 win Eagles team practice with them the year before.

14. irishwhip03

Williams pick-6's Brady.

15. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

And now he apologizes lol

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yup what a wuss. If you say something like that you have to own it.

_

17. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Thought that was an interesting question so I looked up as much of it as I could. Don't recall exactly how it's worked out through the years, but it seems like it started around 2010.

2010 - Atlanta (finished 13-3), New Orleans (11-5)
    2011 - Don't think any joint practices were held this preseason. It was the lockout year.
    2012 - Tampa (7-9), New Orleans (7-9)
    2013 - Tampa (4-12), Philly (10-6)

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Thanks.