Carrying 4 QBs and 6 WRs - Possibility or not?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dabrowsk1, Aug 8, 2008.

1. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

QBs - Favre, Clemens, Ainge and Ratliff.

I think this is a strong possibility. The FO won't cut Clemens yet and want to give him time to develop behind Favre. Ainge was just drafted and is too soon to cut him loose. Ratliff has shown alot, I don't think he would clear waivers to make it to the PS.

With the possibility of Favre retiring after every year, I think this is a strong possibility.

WRs - Coles, Cotchery, Smith, Stuckey, Clowney, Henry

If Stuckey and Clowney keep playing this way I think it is a sure thing they make the team. From what I read the FO and CS are big on Henry. He is only a 6th rounder and it is possible he could be released for Wallace Wright. But the more I think about it, the more likely Wright is the odd man out.

Possibility or not? Thoughts?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Ainge could be the practice squad QB. His three hand offs were not that impressive.

3. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Eventually Ainge is going to get some throws.

Clemens is the backup unless he completely flops in practice and the next pre-season games.

Ainge and Ratliff will battle it out for the 3rd string

At this point we don't know what we've got, so I'd be hesitant to cut anybody. God forbid Favre goes down I'd be more comfortable with Clemens in there since he has NFL experience, even though Ratliff has really impressed...he may be a diamond in the rough.

4. flgreen

flgreen New Member

Ainge had offseason surgery on his throwing hand. Don't be stunned to see him on IR very soon.

Henry looks like he is headed to PS. Hasn't had many touches in TC

5. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

You have read this pretty good. I don't see Ratcliff hanging for long and he looks a good prospect. Ainge would at this point look odd man out.

Clowney has shown huge potential and Stuckey is nailed on. Wright at this juncture might be on the waiver wire. I smell vultures circling Jets training camp.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Henry and Ainge are both definitely PS material.

Wright beats out Henry for the mere fact that he is good on special teams.

7. IATA

IATA Trolls

Gotta agree, Ainge hits IR or PS. PS preferabbly as it would still allow him to get some time in he needs it.

I think 6 recievers is a possiblity, but highly doubtful, 5 max, otherwise we eat at our depth for other positions.

8. allan1

allan1 Active Member

I'd rather carry 5 receivers and have the extra offensive lineman

9. ........

........ Trolls

The problem with sending Ainge to the PS is that another team would likely pick him up. We'd be throwing away a 5th rounder. We don't have much choice if they see something in Ratliff, though. I hate to say it, but hopefully Ainge is injured and goes on the IR.

10. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

You have to remember players on the PS can be signed by other teams. So putting guys like Ainge, Ratliff, even Wright and Henry is a risk if you see potential a year or 2 down the line. Last year the CS carried 2-3 OL on the practice squad.

The more I look at the talent and potential we have at the QB and WR positions now, the more I think 4 QBs and 6 WRs is a distinct possibility.

11. IATA

IATA Trolls

Frankly, Ainge looks like nothing more then a career backup, IF that. He has spurts of "OK" but so did Nagle.

If it comes down to it...Favre, Clemens, Ratliff.

12. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I have a hard time believing the Jets will carry 6 receivers in addition to most likely using Dustin Keller split out sometimes.

I feel like Brad Smith should be the odd man out of this situation, but I don't think they are ready to give up on him. Wallace Wright is far too valuable on special teams to leave off the roster, Chansi Stuckey is unknown, but has been having a solid camp. Clowney is clearly having a good camp and preseason so far, and the Jets coaches are impressed with him...Plus, you can't forget about Marcus Henry.

Coles
    Cotchery
    Clowney
    Henry
    Smith
    Stuckey
    Wright

It's going to be a tough couple of cuts.

13. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I feel like they won't let Ainge go because it makes them look like they don't know how to draft. It's a tough situation because what do you do if Ratliff keeps showing him up in practice? Sucks to waste a 5th round pick.

14. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Agree 100% on both...

Ainge, I highly doubt, would make it through waivers to the PS.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You know - we might not have the best revievers. But its starting to seem like we got a lot of really good recievers. Might be better in the long run.

16. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Sounds about right to me

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Smith got the start with the first team last night over Stuckey ... I think he'd have to do real poorly the next couple of weeks to end up the odd man out.

It seems like a given that Henry goes to the PS. Do we really keep Wright over someone who can contribute as a solid receiver because he's good on special teams?

I'm putting my money on him going to the PS as well. Just my guess.

What are you basing that on, his 3 handoffs last night?

18. IATA

IATA Trolls

College, he wasn't THAT impressive in college.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Did you watch him play? I think he could end up the best pro QB from the 2008 draft based on what I saw from him in college. I could be crazy too though.

20. IATA

IATA Trolls

I definetly think you're crazy. But alas, to each their own opinion!