Carolyn Bryant /Emmitt Till

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by typeOnegative13NY, Jul 1, 2022.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

2. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

A lot of legal hurdles to clear. This case would make a great final-exam question for a law-school criminal-procedure class.

1. What's the statute of limitations for kidnapping? Did the issuance of the arrest warrant toll the statute (i.e., stop the limitations period from running). Did she flee to avoid arrest, which might toll the statute, or did the authorities bury the warrant with a wink and nod and never even look for her?

2. How many live witnesses are still around to prove the case against the defendant? Given the defendant's right to confront the witnesses against her, the State can't prove its case with decades-old statements from people who are now dead. Even if some of the witnesses are still around, how much can they remember so long after the fact?

#2 Since1969, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Dierking and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Certainly is interesting. I’m unclear as to what her part was… I know she was the one that identified him:.. was she also present for the kidnapping/murder? She was married to one of the guys that did it, so she definitely was aware, and also during that time wound be aware of what would happen with an accusations that, especially in Mississippi.
    I guess I line to think that the conscience is the biggest punishment, but some people just don’t have one.

4. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The arrest warrant is a standard bare-bones criminal complaint. It charges her, her then-husband and a third party with kidnapping Till. We don't know if the police theory was she was a principal, accomplice or co-conspirator.

#4 Since1969, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    typeOnegative13NY likes this.