Can we get rid of Tannenbaum and keep Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Milliner is your Mommy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Rex when he got here had a talented roster with a rookie QB and brought us into the playoffs. We were 3-0, 4-6 and finished the season 5-1 to make the playoffs.

The next year we won 11 games. Lost 45-3 on MNF in NE. Then he rights the ship and we go into Foxboro again in the post season and won against all odds.

Rex is the best coach we have had in a long time. The problem is all the impact players on our team other than Wilkerson were drafted in the Mangini era.

We need a GM who can evaluate talent on both sides of the ball. Rex isn't perfect and I'm sure he's part of the reason we have neglected our offense but talent is becoming the problem not coaching.

I am worried that if we fire Tannenbaum we lose Rex in the process. Firing the best coach we have had in years would be a huge mistake.

2. jetfan1987

jetfan1987 Banned

I completely agree. Rex is a great coach who is making something out of nothing. He just doesn't have any good players.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If you were to hire a reputable football guy to manage your operations then wouldn't you want to clean house & give him a blank slate? This is like hiring Rex & telling him to keep Shotty. New GM or Pres. of football operations should have full control in reshaping their coaching staff & scouting departments.

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Keep Rex
    Demote Tanny
    Demote Sad Sack

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i dont think rex needs to go because tanny might (probably will).

I'm personally willing to give Rex a few more years under new FO management.

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

fire Tanny....Just have him leave the building. And Bradway too. Both these guys need to leave Florham Park.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Clear the whole lot of them out. Rex is as big a clown as Tanny

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Rex has to go as well, he showed last year that he did not have the pulse if the team, what are you doing as a HC that is more important than knowing what is going on with your team?

He is a great DC with the title of HC, if we bring in a GM let him pick his own staff.

9. Petey

Petey Active Member

Thing is, the only way you get a new GM AND keep Rex Ryan is if Rex is promoted to GM. You're not going to get a legit GM agree to come in and not be able to pick his own coach. Maybe you'd get an executive with another team absolutely desperate to be a GM who would accept that job, but not a top tier former GM or top tier executive.

And while I can't prove this, I've always kind of assumed that Rex has had a lot of input on the talent evaluation process with the draft (probably more than a lot of coaches) since talent evaluation isn't Tannenbaum's strength. And really, do any of these drafts give you any confidence in Rex's ability to draft?

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We can only keep Rex by promoting from within and who would you want as GM that we have now?

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yep.

Said this many times.

A new GM would not take the job if they cannot pick their coach.

If Rex stays, he would most likely be the D-Coordinator, which is all he should be in the NFL.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If the Jets tank, you have to consider dropping Rex. Tannenbaum is a no brainer, but Rex doesn't help matters with his personality/antics.

It will be hard getting a reputable General Manager with Rex Ryan, I think. Rex has an almost "old-school" style - his mindset is dominated by defense and a conservative, run-first offensive style (ground and pound)... Philosophically, a new, respectable general manager will have problems with this. As evidenced by his drafting style in the Ryan era, Tannenbaum is letting Rex in on a lot of decisions. I don't see a new GM doing the same thing.

1) If the Jets tank this year to the point where they need a change and get a new GM, the very first thing he's going to do is look to rehaul the offense - its the "new" NFL. Rex, of course, is going to want defense. Just for argument's sake, say they go with a Polian. He's got a good track record of building high-powered offenses.. How is Rex going to feel about drafting a RB early? letting defensive guys go for a big name WR? Trading a Darrelle Revis for draft picks to select a QB?? etc. etc. These are the tough decisions that might need to be made that I could see Rex and a New GM coming to blows, over.

2) I could see a new GM having a real problem with Rex's bold personality too. When Rex comes out and says "I think we have the best blah, blah" I could see a Gm responding with - "Rex, we're rebuilding - I don't think it's a good idea to put a bullseye on our backs" Or when Rex says "So and So is the greatest (position) in the league" They could get really pissed about giving him fodder for contractual negotiations...

3.) A lot of people are questioning Woody Johnson's priorites. I'm sure this is on a lot of prospective General Manager's minds. Does he really want to win or just dominate the headlines? I could see a lot of reputable football minds having a problem with this and turning down Johnson's offers to be GM, especially since Rex Ryan is at the APEX of this feeling and if Woody decides to just drop Tannenbaum and keep him. A young, unproven GM will take that chance- sure. But a respected football guy won't. Cleaning house completely though and dropping Rex, will let them know he's serious and might change their minds. Especially since most GM's like to have their own hire as coach.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I bet @ seasons end 2012 you will be singing a totally different tune :sad:

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This team is now a shell of what he had in 2010. Its disgusting....

Guys look Belchick, Harbaugh, Tomlin are handed teams as talented as the 2010 Jets. I doubt any coach does much with the people on this team currently.

This is partially Rex's fault to, he hasnt drafted the right players. All these guys are in the war room so I cant blame tanny completely.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Why is that? I'm a Mets fan but I don't want Terry Collins fired because the team sucks.

Also what is with the sad faces ending after every post. For someone who has supposedly been around since the first SB you write and sign your posts like a middle school girl.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Wow I agree with Jonny again, the circus has to leave town....

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Drafting 3 straight 1st round picks who are defensive players coming OFF of being #1 in 2009 should have meant an all time great defense.

They stacked a #1 defense in 2009 with 3 more 1st round draft picks. Look at the result.....its pathetic. This does fall on Rex sadly, they have drafted horribly. Imagine if the 49ers drafted 3 straight 1st round defensive players? we are talking 85 Bears......

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Anyone blaming the GM for what we saw on Sunday is on crack. This is Rex’s legacy. This performance is on the coaches. This is not the first time we have been completely embarrassed in the last two years. This team has no leadership. We are just a mob of players with no direction. Nobody is afraid of losing their job including our entitled QB. There is no real hunger on this team. Everyone plays for their own ego.

Rex is not a leader - he is your buddy. Not many coaches can pull that off effectively. You have to be the players heavy – not their pal. Yet Rex decided to not name captains this season because he couldn’t even manage that small feat last year without losing the locker room.

Then during the game he just stands there shocked when things go wrong. He is awful at halftime adjustments. He cant help the offense to save his life. And now our defense isn’t even playing that great.

What’s the point of keeping Rex if even our defense is fading?

19. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

yep, time to start over. Hire a good football guy and let him clean house top to bottom. I've seen enough

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The game is won in the trenches and both lines are about average at best...Tannenbaum has to shoulder that blame...