Can the Jets win NOW with Sanchez?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by firemanedjr, Apr 26, 2009.

1. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Okay, that's the question, simple enough. We didn't mortgage the future to get Sanchez, we mortgaged the present. We dumped a starting defensive end and a 2nd round pick that could've been a starter. The question is, more or less, will Sanchez be good enough that we can afford to start building around him with veterans. Should we trade our first next year from Braylon or Boldin? Keep it and try and rebuild? What's the call.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Team needs to win now. Bottom line.

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Um. Dont think so.

New system for the defense. Shit, the entire team. No solid starter at QB yet. No solid number 2 WR. Maybe not even a number 1. Thomas Jones is currently not happy.

And im not a fan of trading any picks for next year. Grab some d-line depth tomorrow and a blocking TE. Learn how to play this season and have a solid draft in next years much better class.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's the future of this franchise - of course we need to build it around him.

5. Bvon

Bvon New Member

You don't jump that far ahead and spend all the money that we are going to invest in Sanchez and not think we can't win now. You can't say that Ryan is going to just sit him now and say "Here Mr. $70 million man, hold this clipboard and watch Kellen play." No, that will not and cannot happen. Mark Sanchez was drafted by us for a REASON, we feel he is the real deal, he might be a bit raw, but wasn't Cassel, Flacco, and Matt Ryan last year? Sanchez has the potential to be not only a great player, but, the leader of this franchise. I can see him throwing balls to Jets players for over a decade. We made the right and best move we could do today, even tho I had hoped we would jump back into the 2nd round and snag Sean Smith, overall I am a very happy Jet fan and I don't think ANY DRAFT has made me happier than what I am right now.

Sanchez will be Offensive Rookie of the Year.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

What makes you think we could win now without Sanchez?

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont believe so. i also feel this trade will end up costing more than the players we sent and didnt get. what ramifications will his contract have on guys we need to sign? will leon be able to get paid? i know we have some contracts coming soon, are dbrick and mangold next year or the year after? its scary the ramifications 2 straight top 5 guys that may or may not be even decent can create.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If Clemens turns out to have a great year this year how much would he cost us? Any QB we get that can excel and be a top NFL QB for years will be getting paid the only way around that is to not have a top NFL QB. If Sanchez busts we are screwed but only if he busts.

9. Bvon

Bvon New Member

I'll go as far as saying this, bury me under the rock you all will be tossing, I don't care.

Kellen Clemens would get us 6 wins...at the most.

Mark Sanchez can get us 9 wins. Let me explain

We have something very special right now, something we have not had in our franchise in 40 years....a QB with true leadership. I can see us starting Sanchez no questions asked. Kellen doesn't like it, he can ship the fuck out. We lost out on Favre....we missed out on Cutler....3rd time is the charm and I am happier now with Sanchez than I was with Favre. Brett was great, towards the end he fucked up, it happens. He was WAY past his prime and we tried to see if there was something there and there wasn't, fine. NOW, we have not given up really much for a guy that MOST experts say is better and will have a better career than the #1 pick, Matthew Stafford. This could go down as the greatest draft day trade in Jets history...maybe in the draft's history. We stole him away, plenty of mad teams like Washington and Tampa, but I do not care. We needed this player, made the moves that we did and got him. I have always believed that if you are a true fan, you stick by your team NO MATTER WHAT. Even those poor Raider fans need to stick by Al and his insane ideas...poor bastards.

Today was a great day to be a Jet fan, what happened was we have drafted a player who will lead us for the next 10 years and hopefully....to a Super Bowl. Not this year...not next year...but, I can see a SB ring on Mr. Sanchez's finger someday.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Perhaps the best question asked all day.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Who knows?

We have an unproven QB

An unproven HC

We have weak prospects of adding much depth to an already shallow team.

If we stay rediculously healthy and have the HC and QB work out we could go 10-6. But the reality is probably more like 8-8 or 6-10.

12. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Brass Ones Brotha..:up:

13. firemanedjr

It's ballsy to say we'd have the same record as last year after we upgraded our defense by a factor of 10?

Clemens would've gotten us to 9-7, at least. It's going to be a top 5 defense that we have, and a solid run first offense.

14. Bvon

Bvon New Member

If Favre was healthy and played they way he did the first half of the season, we would have won 12 games.

15. firemanedjr

Exactly. And considering we have a real coach and a vastly improved defense, I can't see this team not finishing over .500 with anybody at QB.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Next year should be interesting. We have agood D. Perhaps better with the offseason signings and new attitude/scheme that Rex brings.

we are not goign to get the great QB play we hand in weeks 3-11. We also are not goign to get the god awful QB play in weeks 12-17. This team has a lot to prove. I for one am happy with the direction we are taking. If Rex comes through on the attacking D combined with a ball controll offense we should be in every game this year.

17. Bvon

Bvon New Member

Don't you need a QB to throw the ball or do you want to run 75 times a game? Clemens is not and will not be the answer, if that is so, why would the Jets make the move? They want to pay someone a ton of cash to hold a clipboard?? Kellen better understand that as long as Sanchez is successful in NY, he will be his backup. Sanchez has to be considered the #1 starter and he has only been a Jet for 8 damn hours. Screw Clemens.

18. ........

........ Trolls

Nope. He's not Matt Ryan, a 3 year starter. He's a junior QB with great skills, intangibles, and upside but little on field experience. He's likely going to sit and learn to start the season for an indeterminate number of games. And everyone should be ok with that. The worst thing you can do is rush a QB and kill his development. Even if he starts at some point this season, he's not going to look great and, given the NY media and fans, people will be tempted to jump all over him. Luckily, one of his intangibles is a maturity beyond his experience. If he is thrown into the fire, he'll handle it. However, the best thing we can do is hold the job for him starting in 2010 and hand Kellen the reins this season.

19. Bvon

Bvon New Member

I have a bunch of respect for you as a poster here, but, my question might doubt that...

Do you trust Kellen's ability enough to really sit Sanchez from the beginning? I think you would be crazy to trade up like we did, 12 spots, get the guy we want and then sit him? I know some 1st rounders have sat their first year including Montana *Greatest ever IMO*, and Marino, but we need to win NOW. With the moves we have made, the money we have spent over the past two years on this o-line and the players like Bart Scott and Lito, we need to win right now. Doesn't it seem to you that with these moves that Tanny wants to win now instead of 2 or 3 years from now?

20. ........

........ Trolls

Our window isn't 2009 or bust, though. I'd give the starting job to Kellen immediately, no questions asked, and make Mark earn his starting job. He'll fight for it. He's a hell of a motivated kid. He's also coming out of a pro system in college. However, NY is a tough place to play. There were those who thought it was going to kill Eli, and he was a guy playing in an SEC environment in which he wasn't treated like a superstar. Sanchez may have shrugged off the SC attitude, but he was still in a very Hollywood environment. He wants the competition, he wants to succeed under pressure, but the transition will still be there.