Cam Cameron, Rex and Norv

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by concussion80, Jan 13, 2010.

1. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Just saw this on NFL network and thought it quite interesting.

One of the commentators says he likes the Jets chances because Rex worked with Cam Cameron, the Ravens OC, who was formerly the Chargers OC and basically built the offense which Norv Turner is now using with Rivers.

He says Rex knows this offense inside and out and will be ready to dissect it with his schemes come game time.

I sure hope he's right.

2. GTechSuperChargerFan

The way the personnel has changed to Phillip and the Green Giants has also changed the schemes signficantly. I don't think Cameron would recognize much of this offense, besides the fact that it has become even more vertical.

It is an interesting premise though. Battle of the coaches.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Yeah...gotta agree.
    I doubt there will be anything Rex may be 100% on.

I think he'll just stay w/ the Film..
    Maybe a tendancy or 2 but nothing like him having the playbook

4. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

There may be some semblance of truth to it, but only some. The fact that Ladainian Tomlinson is actually the fulcrom of the current offense eludes many who mistakingly think that he is past his prime, but I'm sure that Mike Pettine and Jeff Weeks will have their game plan in hand. If the Jets can pull this game off with stellar defense, Pettine would instantly become a guru worthy of head coach status.

But that's an awful lot of things that has to fall in place perfectly, which most probably won't happen. Still, stranger things have happened.

EDIT: Mispelled Pettine's name.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The Chargers run Norv Turner's offense, not Cam Cameron's. While their may be some similarities, RR should not be studying tape of Cam Cameron's offenses, especially as he has not been a part of the SD staff in like... 3 years.

6. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I'm sure Rex is not stupid and is studying film from games in 2009 season. But
    it sure as hell doesn't hurt to have intimate knowledge of how a certain offense works.

Whats important is that we have played similar teams this year in the Saints, Pats, and Colts and fared mostly well against their deep attacks. That tells me Rex knows how to cope with these offenses.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Rex is a great X and O guy, sometimes that gets lost in his whole persona and the things he says. Even in the losses we seemed to adjust and shut teams down after the half, except the away Miami game. In that game I think the heat wore down the D, I'm hoping that doesn't happen this time, although California isn't as humid and stifling as Florida. I don't know if they're practicing in the cold or indoors, indoors might be the way to go this week.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Rex never had anything to do with the offense in Baltimore so I think this is completely pointless. It doesn't matter if they're using Cams offense or Norvals offense or some combination. There are 16 weeks of film for Rex to dissect and I'm confident he will.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the reason Norv Turner was hired as coach of the Chargers is because he was the OC in San Diego before Cam Cameron and installed the offense Cameron used, not the other way around.

10. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

The heat in SD this time of year isn't near what it was in Fla then. Perfect football temps in the 60's! Won;t be a problem.

11. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Exactly, thats what NFL network dude was talking about. It's the same offense based on the same principals.

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Cool. If I remember correctly, the last playoff game the Jets had there in 2005 was a rare rain storm. I flew to Anaheim the Monday right after it and it was like Judgement Day out there, mudslides, cars floating in the water, etc. Didn't stop Chad from hitting Santana Moss with a bomb for a TD though, rotator cuff and all. :up:

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

no that's just funny! rex don't even know HIS OWN offense inside and out!

14. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

For whatever flaws he may have as a leader, there's no debating that Norval is one of the sharpest offensive minds in football. Relying on Cam Cameron's knowledge of the offense from a few years back won't really help much at all.

On the other hand, Rex Ryan is probably the most creative defensive coach in the NFL. I'm sure he'll be able to make a good gameplan for San Diego.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

Exactly. This year is the first time Rex has ever been involved on the offensive side of the ball and he didn't even start doing that until halfway through the season. The fact that he worked with Cameron means nothing at all.

16. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

Just because you know what's coming, doesn't mean you can stop it...

The Chargers have had a mediocre running game all year yet we have been able to win the last 11 games.

I know.. I know.. "we haven't faced a defense like the Jets, etc." but you haven't faced the mismatches that the Chargers present across the board.

While the Saints are a great passing offense, they don't necessarily have the size across the board, and the thing that makes the Chargers a multi-headed monster is the mismatches across the board coupled with Philip Rivers ability to spread the ball around and find the open man.

There's a good chance that Revis can shut down VJ, but it's not realistic to expect that you can contain VJ, Gates, Floyd, and Nanee... but if you do... there is still a HOF running back, and a game breaker in Sproles coming out of the backfield.

$.02

17. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Isn't that what we've been saying about the Jets running game vs. SD running D?

18. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

Yes... and I dont think I have said anything to the contrary. Both the Titans, and Cowboys were able to run on the Chargers with some success, and I am confident that between the 20's you will be able to as well...

I think the problem for the Jets is going to be the fact that if we stack the box to shut down the run... and put the pressure on Sanchez to air it out... he hasn't really proven (thus far) that he can handle that type of pressure.

He is prone to questionable decision making at times, which generally results on turn overs. If the Jets are going to win this game... I don't think they can afford to turn the ball over.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

I guess you missed his performance last week. He had his best game as a pro in a hostile playoff environment against a Bengals defense that is better than the Chargers.

We've been facing a stacked box ALL YEAR, yet no one has stopped our run game.

20. Ohio Jet

Ohio Jet New Member

Be honest - you have got to hope it's not.