Calling all players who use the jets on All-Madden

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by plasticsloth, Aug 20, 2007.

1. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

I have one question and one question only.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BEAT THE PATRIOTS!?!?!!?!?!?!?

i get killed by them on both sides of the ball. I cant run the ball. I can stop the run decently but brady completes every and i repeat every pass. Whenever i pass a linebacker comes off a block with his back to the qb and leaps up to swat it away. And when i get coles open deep... HE DROPS IT!
    what the fuck am i supposed to do. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

2. Pride

Pride New Member

I wouldnt know I get smashed in the opener every time exactly how you described

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'm playing at all-pro mode for now, (been playing in all-madden in all other versions though) and using Pittsburgh playbook (I've been using this for years), and I play on PC version too - so this might not be a good advice, but if you are willing to listen... (they are tried-and-true methods from the previous versions)

1. Defense.

You do NOT need a marquee player to be a successful defense. This is what I do every time;

On [1st/2nd down], and [3rd and short] situation: Call 8 man blitz. (Doesn't matter whether you are using 3-4 or 4-3, as long as you are not calling that stupid 4-6) The key here is, you operate the SS (on Jets, that would be Kerry Rhodes.) and instead of going in blitzing, you cover the slot/TE spot receivers. Usually the rush gets the QB before the QB finds an open man, if you do your cover right. If there are two men to cover (2 slot/a slot + a TE/2 TE) then spotlight one of them, and you cover the other one. This is your bread and butter. (Just keep in mind that you must not call the same 8-man blitz all the time.)

@1. If they call running plays, unless they are going side ways, they will be stuffed in no time, so you should worry about pitch or counter plays. When that happens, it's your responsibility to get the ball carrier with your SS.

@2. If they come out with 5-WR setup, follow the next tip.

[If they keep calling passing plays (which has beaten you a few times even if you followed the above instruction)], or on [3rd down and long]:

Call cover three. Again, take control of Rhodes (His responsibility is the medium range zone). Audible his responsibility to neutral (spy), then rush the QB. Here, the role is reversed; previously, you were preventing the safety outlet while the team was rushing at QB, but now you must pressure the QB while the team covers the receivers - it's your chance to grab sacks. When they are in single back formation or 2RB Flex shotgun formation, things get a bit hairy - it takes skills to beat the pass-blocking RB. If they employ 5-WR set, or shotgun with 1 RB/FB formation, align yourself at the edge (if shotgun, opposite RB/TE) and go right at the QB. If you fail to pressure the QB, usually they end up with big gains, so keep this in mind. You MUST generate pressure at all costs.

They need to call rush (dive, specifically) to beat this, and when you see them doing this, go back to #1. (Same tip again, don't call the same play from same formation. Call cover 3 from different alignment.)

You might say "But that works in All-Pro, and I play All-Madden." Trust me, this method has worked to perfection in previous three versions (2005/2006/2007) in All-Madden Difficulty (and is still working in 08), and EA team still haven't come up with a method to counter this tactic. The good thing with this tactic is that this shuts down their running game at the same time. I usually allow 35 ypg rushing, and 88 ypg passing.

Now, Brady is a really good QB in Madden, so you won't get that many sacks or INTs. But he is still not a God, and he can't complete passes if he doesn't have enough time on his hands - which is what you should try to either eliminate entirely, or limit as much as you can. You see, the tactic above relies on the fact that it takes time for plays to develop - so if you can limit the time the QB has, then he will have to get rid of the ball even when the play is not properly developed.

On Offense:

Chad is not a strong-armed QB, and dropping deep bombs won't do him any good.

Again, this is what I do:

I prefer 2 TE single back formation. (where 2 WRs are located a yard behind LoS). Bread and butter plays are HB counter and HB dive. And as a safety valve, you'd need HB pitch/toss play. Load all three of them on your audibles.

The beauty of this formation is that it is symmetric, with respect to the C. Thus, changing the direction of the play with audible doesn't involve any personnel movement - thus D can't react to what you do. They know you called something, but nobody moves, so they won't know just what you called.

So you look at the alignment, and send TJ to where there are less defenders.
    If they line up wide, that's when you change the play to HB dive. Again, no personnel movement, so no defensive adjustment.

There will be times, where the D is all gathered up in the box, prepared to go run-blitzing. This is when you change the play to HB Pitch. Again, they won't react to your audibles.

*As you can see, the crucial thing in my style of running game is to not allow the defense to adjust to my adjustments.*

On passing plays: Madden 08 has improved its coverage in many aspects, and you are likely to have less than stellar performance if your bread and butter plays involved "go" pattern or "post" pattern. This doesn't mean they have covered every corner of the weakness - in that, on 1 on 1 situation, hook pattern (Audible - down button to change the route) works too well. Unless they are in zone defense, they can't stop you, if you decide to abuse that.
    (And they beat the hook pattern not because the CB is doing his assignment right, but because the LB in the middle gets in the middle of the way, either swatting the pass or intercepting it.)

Another "glitch" in Madden AI is that, RBs are lower in "threat" priority as a receiver than WR or TE is. This in turn means that you will find RBs and FBs open a lot more - so use this to your advantage, with a handful of HB option passes and whatnots.

Last, but not least: Crossing pattern works too well. True, most plays have #1 and #2 receivers doing their things (fly, out, whatnot) and usually it's 3rd receiver crossing the midfield. Still, it works well, and I'd recommend using some of that too.

-----------------------------------------

So this is my tip - I hope this is useful, but I have my doubts.

#3 Zach, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. Pride

Pride New Member

Great write up Zach. I use the run n gun offense online. I practiced with the playbook a couple of days to learn the whole playbook. I have no problem scoring its the Defense. I honestly believe the run n gun offense is an almost unstoppable playbook w/o glitching against you

5. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I've played all-madden since getting the game on the day it came out and I have beaten the Patriots once and lost once in overtime. Most of the thing about beating the Patriots on All-Madden is just being good at the game. You have to know when to call certain plays and when to exploit defenses. Then on offense you have to know how to get good pressure while covering the WR's. It all sounds easy but it is actually hard on all-madden. I'll give you two tips on defense because that is where you said you need help: I've got some great tips on offense if you want those too.

1st:

If you are playing a 3-4, which I assume you are, rush one of the olb's off the outside on the opposite end of the TE. If you do that you should always get some good pressure because one of your OLB's will have a clear shot at the QB.

2nd:

On short yard situations move everyone up to the line and move the lineman tighter together. Then when you see its a run react to the run by pressing down on the right analog stick. Also, if you know it is a running situation react to the run everytime and do the same when you know its a passing play.

Hope this helps!

6. rillo

rillo New Member

I play on all-pro setting and i got smashed by the Pats twice....sorry i cant help ya

7. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

This totally works. I dominated the Pats 21-3 in all-pro though. 2 picks on Brady who threw for 167 yards and held Maroney to 18 yards rushing. Thanx.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Easy, I beat them the very first game I played by a FG...just get better at Madden, dont know what else to tell ya

9. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

As weird as this sounds I use the Jets online, and always give people that use the Pats beatings..

10. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I beat my friend today who used the Pats, 40-35. Maroney really got a handle on me, Moss and Stallworth were shutdown...It was Welker and Watson who did the damage...

But I have yet to play them against the CPU...The best team I have beaten is probably Philadelphia...I'll be playing New England and San Diego pretty soon...

11. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

I have a hard time with people who use Philly . I dont know why any other team I can beat with the Jets but freaking Philly..... Trotter and Dawkins kill me every game. that and their bs flea flicker which is always a TD cos Coleman bites. Every freaking time.No matter if hes in prevent or man .It dont matter.

12. Pride

Pride New Member

Its ok to come out the closet and join the right side as a Jets fan:)

13. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I got my copy yesterday, the first game i played was, of course, Jets-Pets :)breakdance: ). I played All-pro (gonna go to all-madden soon), and didn?t do anything special. I beat the Pats 24:10, and it didn?t seem to hard. On Offense, the Inside Run worked, Playaction worked and i had serverall good YAC to Baker and Barnes in the Flat. On D i mixed some blitzes with zone coverages, and kept them under control, i had some luck by intecepting Brady twice (1 user pick by Vilma in the redzone and one by Coleman that was returned for a TD).

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am glad that my strategy worked for someone else as well. Thank you for the feedback.

-----------------------------------------------------------

That guide is only skeletal, in that there are so many other materials to cover, and a single posting is just too short to cover all the intricacies involved.

For instance, if you are using Singleback Big formation exclusively, as I do, you'd find that, more often than not, your success will depend on your use of Adrian Jones and Goddard.

They seem like a fringe linemen, right? Tell you what; Sean Ryan and Chris Baker both suck big balls when it comes to blocking, whether it be pass blocking or run blocking. The thing is, not many TEs are good at blocking, and if you let TEs play that spot, more often than not, LBs will come freely from there, as TEs usually release the LBs very quickly.

So, you sacrifice some of the receiving threat in Baker and Ryan (which is not much anyway) in Singleback Big. Swap them with Goddard on the right (his run block is better) and Jones on the left. Now you are truly ready to either counter, or pitch out on either side. Once you got sideways running working, you'll soon see the middle thin out. That's when you audible HB dive (they are all in same formation, so they can't adjust.) and run straight in. When you can gain about 8 to 10 yards per carry in rushing, they will usually bite when you pull play-action - meaning you should go bombs away with Coles when you can establish running like I do.

------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, the focus of defense strategy is to make their choice simple, while the focus of the offense strategy is to make my choices diverse. Easier said than done, I'd have to confess.

#14 Zach, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  15. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I'd like to tell you, but when I was playing this game yesterday, Thomas Jones got knocked out three straight games (twice on the first play, one of which was play action), Clemens fumbled almost every QB sneak....and....

then I got the Red Ring of Death. (yes, it was a great evening.)

16. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Sorry guy, but you need to get rid of that 360 and get the 360 elite with a warranty. The ELITE is a BETTER CONSULE.

17. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Thanks. Did you come up with these ideas on your own? I used to sub linemen last year also. It seemed like the only way on madden 06 to not get Chad killed was to have everyone block but the receivers. Whenever friends would get together to game we often ended up copying eachothers blitz crazy styles. Everyone blocking was what would work for the Jets line since chad is no scrambler.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Again, thanks.

Of course, the credit for offensive plays in my postings are solely mine, even though I can't say so about the defensive strategy. (My brother came up with it initially, then we put some finishing touch on it because I had wider understanding of the game of football.) True, I can't take the 100% of the credit, as I have borrowed hefty amount of what I do from what real coaches do in real football. Say, the defensive strategy in the whole article is actually borrowed from what Rex Ryan is doing in Baltimore, for instance, attacking the QB at all costs.

My experiment with linemen in TE spot was more of a product of frustration; I love to have as many option running a play as possible, and TEs at the end of the line would get killed on almost every play by the LBs they face, making the sideway running plays virtually useless. I didn't care about saving Chad's arse - I just wanted to have 5 option with Singleback Big formation run at all times. By subbing linemen in there, I could guarantee that I will almost always have 5 options (pitches left/right, counter left/right, dive up front, if I didn't mention the five choices).

The downside is, I don't know if I can devise a defensive plan to counter this, if anyone challenges me with the very offensive tactic I came up with. You see, the plan above is designed in such way that, if you don't react, you have to give up good 6 to 7 yard on counter plays - nearly at all times, due to the strong run-blocking right at the edge. You can either run between the T and TE, or just outrun the defense around the corner for the daylight. This means you, as a defender, must react to it. The problem is, when you react to it, that opens another weak point in the front seven.

For instance, If the linebackers or linemen are shifted to either side, then you audible to the other way - and the defense wouldn't know since there is no personnel movement. If the defense reinforces both ends, you audible the dive, as the defense must stand wide to react quickly against sideways running in either direction. The most challenging adjustment (which isn't much at all, by the way) is to shift the linemen to one side, and shift the linebackers to the other side. Here you audible to the side linemen shifted - then outrun them. If the defense comes up with run blitzing, crowding the line with 8 men, you pitch out.

If it's human-operated defense, it's more than likely that he will let his linemen stay where they are, shift the linebackers to one side and he will try to take care of the other side by operating one of the safeties himself. This is about the strongest attempt the defense can come up with, but not hard to beat. You've got to figure out whether the defense is playing man to man or zone or blitzing - this is the most challenging part, which isn't much by the way - just move the RB around a bit; if they are in run-blitz mode, that means the CBs are supposed to give ample cushion. You call pass, then audible the hook route. Because of the cushion (if you look at their plays, the CBs are in deep blue zone about good 10-20 yard behind the LoS) the hook works perfectly nearly at all times in this situation. Just make sure the receiver advances 10 yards ahead before turning back. If they are playing zone defense, then just run up the middle. They might be crowding the line, but they are playing soft zone to prevent the pass or sideways runnings. The downside of this is of course the middle. If they are in man-to-man mode, that's when you air it out with fly pattern. If the defending player does something else (which will usually fall in the previous categories, if that happens), then you can go back to the previous methods to dismantle his defense; if he operates the CB, then he's virtually a non-factor. LB operating doesn't change things much, and neither does linemen (doesn't matter DE or DT) operating.

This is why I have all audible plays in same formation (call me crazy, haha). Put in two pass plays of your liking in the audible, and there, you have an audible set that will wreck havoc on any D. True, the receiving threat is a little weak, (and this is the tradeoff from having 2 linemen in place of 2 TEs) but that doesn't matter much, since the D would be primarily occupied with stopping the run, which is virtually impossible. You can even try to train the 2 linemen in catching, but I wouldn't advise you to do that one.

Try it yourself against the Ravens, for instance. I usually rack up 8.8 yards per carry against top run D team, and more than 12.5 against rag D. This in turn opens up the play-action, so believe it or not, my Pennington averages about 24.7 yards per passing attempt. (And he's the noodle arm QB, whose throwing power was sized down to some 65 because I felt that was about right for his current status.)

#18 Zach, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I smoked the Pats both times I played them.

The IRONY, I absolutely couldn't beat the Titans, I couldn't do shit to them, and Vince Young drove the field with ease.

Then I went into the playoffs and beat the Ravens in OT and smashed the Colts I have the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, haven't played the game yet.

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

The internals of the Elite are EXACTLY the same as the regular.
    The Color, HDD and the HDMI are the exceptions.

The real difference will be when the Falcon Chipset is in the 360's then you will have systems that are better than the launch 360's & the Elite.