Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I love Watson as much as anyone. I always have. But we have a QB we can win with. Trade the 2 pick for a haul. Draft and sign some weapons for Sam. Continue to build a strong OL. We have an offensive system that everyone was saying would suit Sam well. Let's run with it. We know Sam can play high level football. Hell we've seen it

VegasMav, tomdeb, JETS1116 and 22 others like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Darnold is terrible and needs to be completely rebuilt. I don’t see it in NY.

alleycat9, apjbfc, PJ4Ever and 12 others like this.
  3. Murrell2878

He's not terrible. Just stop

4. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

Pat M doesn’t even look good with all the weapons in the world and a bad offensive line.
    It’s really hard to judge Darnold at this point. I’d be scared if he left. I’m just as scared if they decide to build around him.

5. Murrell2878

Lol. Oddly... I really feel the same way you do. But I just can't give up on Sam when he's so damn talented but we fucked up the roster around him

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't think he can recover with this team at this point, I think you have to ship him. I hope he finds success. This team ruined him here though. For sure.

I would rather just go with one of the young guys In the draft. They both look like legit QB's to me. Interested In the direction we do end up going.

7. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

The organization is trying to recover from two of the worst drafting GMs of all time in back to back tenures.
    Todd Bowles looked totally incompetent by the end of his Jet career. He just helped shut down the KC offense.

PJ4Ever, westiedog1, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

This really can't be said enough.

Our drafting the past decade is the root of all our problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Bowles had shit tier teams. Gase had shit tier teams. Heck, Rex after the first two years had shit tier teams. Even if Bowles was a crap head coach and even if Gase was an even worse head coach and even if Rex's schtick got old after a while... the Jets have had shitty drafting and GMs for more than a decade.

I don't mind keeping Darnold around if it means building a solid team around him and seeing if he can turn it around. Give him another year and if they suck, they take a QB next year. In the meantime, build a solid offense for a FQB to step into and not have to spend his first two years running for his life and having no one to spread the ball to.

10. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Honestly think Mahomes would look just as bad in NY he lost his 2 best OL and played behind a makeshift line tonight he looked like Sam Darnold. Watson isn't fixing this franchise you need an actual OL weapons to actually fairly evaluate Darnold.think if the Jets drafted Mahomes they be trading him instead. If you don't like Darnold draft a QB all this talk trade the house is just silly good way for JD to get fired in 2 years.

egelband, SOJAZ, azhar80 and 2 others like this.
  11. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

In fact after seeing this game tonight keep Darnold trade backwards they need an entire OL minus Becton weapons RB WR CB DE1 and 2 an TE, OLB with speed this team is a mess Watson isn't fixing this.

amuck57, Br4d, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's been pretty terrible. We don't have to trade for Watson but we can still move on from Sam and draft Fields at 2 and build this franchise the right way with a bevy of draft picks.

It's not impossible for Sam to become a decent starter in this league because he has raw physical tools. But the odds are stacked against him becoming a good starter after running to to his third head coach and offensive coordinator in four years. Rarely does a young gun come back from that. Alex Smith and Tannehill are about the only two examples in the history of the league to rebound from that.

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan, cval and 4 others like this.
  13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Darnold played pretty well under Bowles . Bowles calm demeanor and players like playing for him. Perhaps Saleh will be good for Darnold. If they feel Darnold’s can get them playing solid, so be it.

barfolomew and westiedog1 like this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I thought Bowles was a good coach. I thought Rex was too. IDK. The lack of drafting, consistently good drafting, has bit us on the ass over and over again. It has to change, otherwise It wont matter who the HC and QB are.

blackssmagic, hornblower and Jets79 like this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We do?

16. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

All things being equal, Watson is a better-proven QB than Darnold.

However, not all things are equal here. Looking at the CAP hit numbers I get this for Watson.
    2021 15.94 million
    2022 40.4 million
    2023 42.4 million

For 2021 he is a great deal, but for 2022 and 2023 not so good. Ok 32.913 million per year here would be the average.

So is it really a good idea to give up some draft choices and pay all this money for Watson?

Even if Sam Darnold is not the answer, would it not make sense to trade him and then use your 2nd pick for a QB?

The Jets should be like Warren Buffet and look at football talent from a value point of view.

They have $67,98 million they can spend too not only suit some good starters but also suit some good backups. An NFL season full of injuries demands not only good starters but good backups.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes he is. Even when he isn't under pressure, he can't throw the ball on target.

18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Bad footwork. Runs out of bounds instead of throwing balls away. Throws into triple coverage. Horribly inaccurate on deep balls. Worst ranked QB in the NFL in his 3rd year. Not particularly durable (injuries/illness). I know the Jets haven't done him favors, but yeah.....he's been terrible.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold:

-Worst passer rating in the NFL over his first three seasons
    -More turnovers than TD's over his first three seasons
    -Worst completion % of any starting QB over his first three seasons
    -Among the lowest Y/A of any starting QB over his first three seasons
    -One of the five worst QB's of all time in terms of negative passing value added over his first three seasons (ANY/A multiplied by dropbacks)
    -The only QB in the NFL with a negative EPA from a clean pocket this season (yes, it was a net negative for the team when Sam threw from a clean pocket this year)
    -Doesn't see open receivers
    -Runs out of bounds for 4 yard losses rather than throwing the ball away

When do we stop this lunacy of defending him and making excuses? How many times do we have to go over all of this?

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Cap hit if he was on the Jets would be $10.54M in 2021, $35M in 2022, and $37M in 2023 for an average of about $27.5M a year.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.