Browns @ Jets Preview

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by gustoonarmy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This may be our only chance to win back to back games , lets get it on JETS!:jets:

Cleveland at New York Jets.
    Last season, Bill Belichick's genius rubbed off on Eric Mangini, who led to the Jets to a wild-card berth. This season, it looks like Romeo Crennel is Belichick's beneficiary. The Browns' success stems from the terrific trio of quarterback Derek Anderson, receiver Braylon Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow. They should have no trouble taking flight against the Jets' defense. New York's offense came to life in Miami, but the Jets will be outscored in this game.
    Browns 31, Jets 23. :rofl:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=weekprimerpatscanwinpret&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Browns at Jets
    Why To Watch
    The Jets are looking to play spoiler this week against the Browns, who are fighting for a wild card spot. The Jets' offense has a new leader in QB Kellen Clemens, who has brought some life to the struggling team. The Browns can't afford to lose any games that they should win, and this weekend against the Jets certainly falls into that category.

The Cleveland defense continues to be the weak link of the team -- specifically the run defense. Cleveland will have to play well on both sides of the ball against a Jets team that is slowly building some momentum going into the last part of the season. The pressure is on the Browns to win, so expect the Jets to come out aggressively and loose as if they have nothing to lose, which they don't.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=271209020

Quick Take: Browns (7-5) at Jets (3-9)

NFL.com

Last meeting
    Browns running back Reuben Droughns ran for 125 yards on 33 carries as Cleveland held the Jets to 193 total yards, forced three turnovers and yielded no offensive touchdowns in a 20-13 win in Week 8 last year.

[​IMG]
    Browns TE Kellen Winslow leads all NFL tight ends with 909 receiving yards.

Streaks
    The Browns have won three of the past four meetings and lead the overall series 11-7.

Last week
    Browns quarterback Derek Anderson threw a desperation pass to Kellen Winslow on the last play of the game, but the tight end landed out of bounds, as the Browns lost 27-21 at Arizona. ... The Jets intercepted Miami quarterback John Beck three times and running back Leon Washington ran for two touchdowns as the Jets won their third game of the season, 40-13. The Jets swept the season series from the Dolphins for the second conseuctive year, and the third time in four years.

At stake
    Despite losing last week, the Browns are still in the AFC playoff race, even though a division title looks like a long shot. ... The Jets are officially eliminated from the playoffs, so they will be looking to build momentum for next year under their quarterback of the future, Kellen Clemens.

Key matchup
    Jets secondary vs. Browns QB Derek Anderson. The Jets secondary looked much better last week, intercepting Beck three times, and now ranks 11th against the pass. The Jets will face a much different quarterback this week. Anderson ranks in the top 10 in yards, completions and touchdowns. Browns receivers Braylon Edwards (three TDs in the past four weeks), Joe Jerevicius and Winslow (leads all NFL TEs with 909 receiving yards) will challenge the Jets.

Did you know?
    The Browns are averaging 34.1 points in seven wins this season. ... Rookie linebacker David Harris leads the Jets with 82 tackles, and rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis ranks third on the team with 75.

2. gustoonarmy

Surprising Browns look to solidify playoff chances vs. Jets

At times, the Cleveland Browns have looked like a team that's destined to make just its second playoff appearance in 10 years. Sometimes, they've looked like the inexperienced club that has finished last in the AFC North the last four seasons.

After their latest sloppy loss dented their playoff chances, the Browns look to get back on track when they visit the New York Jets on Sunday.

Cleveland (7-5) has been one of the most surprising teams in the NFL this season, thanks in part to some late rallies and lucky bounces.

In their last five games, they have two overtime wins, including one over Baltimore on Nov. 18 in which Phil Dawson's tying 51-yard field goal in the final seconds of regulation had to be reviewed by officials. After the kick was initially ruled no good, the call was overturned and the players back were brought back onto the field for overtime. Dawson connected again in the extra period to give the Browns a 33-30 victory.

Strong -- and fortunate -- finishes like that one have helped the Browns stay in the playoff chase. They're tied with Tennessee for the AFC's final wild-card spot.

Defeats such as Sunday's 27-21 loss to Arizona, however, have kept Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel from getting too excited about postseason possibilities.

"I know that other people have been talking about playoffs and all of that stuff, but I don't talk about it," Crennel said Monday. "Hopefully, they listen to me more than they listen to everybody else."

Cleveland committed four turnovers and 10 penalties Sunday to fall to 2-4 on the road. The Browns had won five of six entering the contest, but turned the ball over on their first two possessions, leading to a 14-0 deficit they never overcame.

"We were definitely on a roll," guard Eric Steinbach said. "It was a little wake up call to say, hey, four weeks left in the season. We've got to get things together."

Sunday's defeat was the third time this season the Browns have committed at least four turnovers, and they're winless in those games. They're 7-2 when they have two giveaways or fewer.

Though the Browns would be in much better playoff position had they pulled out a win last week, Cleveland running back Jamal Lewis thinks the loss could actually be a blessing if the Browns can learn from their mistakes and improve for a postseason push.

"Sometimes a game like that, it sneaks up and bites you, but it can be a good thing to humble you and let you know that we need to get better," Lewis said. "That's what championship teams do."

The Browns stand a good chance of improving because they have the easiest remaining schedule of any of the AFC playoff contenders. Of their four remaining opponents, none currently has a winning record.

After visiting New York, Cleveland hosts Buffalo, visits Cincinnati and closes the season at home against San Francisco.

While the Jets (3-9) appear to be a favorable opponent on paper, they've won two of their last three games, including an overtime victory over AFC North-leading Pittsburgh. They followed that win with a loss at NFC East-leading Dallas on Thanksgiving, but bounced back by beating winless Miami 40-13 on Sunday.

"Getting a win against anyone is great," linebacker Bryan Thomas said. "Our opponent's record doesn't dictate if it's the biggest win or the smallest win. A win, period, is just great."

In perhaps his strongest game of the season, Kellen Clemens completed 15 of 24 passes for 236 yards, one touchdown and one interception against the Dolphins. He connected with eight receivers, keeping the Miami defense off-balance.

"There were a lot of things I was happy with about his play," Jets coach Eric Mangini said.

Mangini also praised receiver Laveranues Coles, who led the team with five catches and 69 yards despite playing through an ankle injury.

Coles' status for Sunday is uncertain. Mangini called Coles' recovery "an ongoing process," like that of receiver Jerricho Cotchery, the team leader in receptions (54) and receiving yards (730) who missed last week's game with a broken right index finger.

If Coles and Cotchery are healthy, they'll likely get plenty of opportunities against a Cleveland defense that has given up 338 points - most in the NFL. The Browns are allowing 258.4 passing yards per game, ranking them 30th in the league.

The Browns, though, have won three of the previous four meetings with the Jets, including a 20-13 victory in Cleveland last Oct. 29. They held New York without an offensive touchdown in that game.

3. gustoonarmy

Video preview here>>>> http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG14&game_id=29399

Cleveland Browns
    PROBABLE OT Kevin Shaffer (knee), DL Robaire Smith (neck)

QUESTIONABLE WR Tim Carter (illness), TE Steve Heiden (ankle), DL Ethan Kelley (knee), DL Orpheus Roye (knee), LB David McMillan (knee), LB Antwan Peek (knee), CB Eric Wright (knee)

INJURED RESERVE OG Seth McKinney (shoulder), DL Ted Washington (knee), LB Mason Unck (knee), CB Gary Baxter (knee)

New York Jets
    PROBABLE WR Chris Davis (shoulder), WR Brad Smith (back), WR Wallace Wright (thigh), TE Chris Baker (back), TE Joe Kowalewski (shoulder)

QUESTIONABLE WR Laveranues Coles (ankle), TE James Dearth (foot), C Nick Mangold (calf), DL Dewayne Robertson (knee)

DOUBTFUL WR Jerricho Cotchery (finger)

INJURED RESERVE FB Stacy Tutt (knee), WR Chansi Stuckey (knee), LB Jonathan Vilma (knee), CB Justin Miller (knee)

#3 gustoonarmy, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

Who would have ever thought, before the season, that the lowly Browns would be coming into NY/NJ as a favorite?

I thought they had a great draft, but I was thinking they were 2 years away from contention. Romeo Crennel was on the hot seat coming in, so I guess he has saved his ample ass.:grin:

For the Jets, the key to this game is the same as it has been for every game....thus their record.

Establish the running game! Keep the brown offense well rested. Pound the ball at them.

Easier said than done.

My prediction....Romeo has been very creative with his defensive schemes this year. I think he will try to baffle and befuddle Clemens into making mistakes. he may succeed.

Either way, Clemens will learn a lot playing this game. This will be a great experience for him.

5. gustoonarmy

I know you said MAY but I cannot see us losing this game. We are going to finish strongly this season , and yes the Browns right now are over achieving which is why they will get a gentle reminder.
    I am so confident about this game , call it a hunch.

6. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

I hope you're right!

I want Thomas Jones to get me fantasy points, and I want the 49'ers to remain high in the draft.

If not for that, I'd be rooting for Romeo, cause I always liked him.

7. Todd14

Todd14 Member

I live in NE Ohio and work in Cleveland.....the Browns fans are nervous about this game.

This game reminds me a lot of last years game but the roles are in reverse. Let's upset them like they upset us last year.

Derek Anderson reminds me a lot of KC at quarterback. I think this could be a good game.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Jets by 10.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a game of two possible paths as I see it:

Path 1 - The Jets establish the running game and engineer some long drives to keep the Browns explosive offense off the field. They have a fairly good chance to win this scenario.

Path 2 - The Jets can't establish the running game early and the Browns go up a couple of scores and it's frenetic from that point on with the Jets narrowly losing at the end as Clemens engineers a rally that falls short.

I see a much closer game than you'd predict from the combination of the Jet's poor defense and the Browns explosive offense. The Jet's chances are going to hinge on whether or not Thomas Jones has a big day.

10. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Just got done watching Fox. Frank, Howie and Jimmy all took the Jets as their upset of the week. Of course Bradshaw took the Steelers to beat the Pats. (He's such a homie LOL!)

11. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

yep

30-20

12. gustoonarmy

I don't look at it as an upset at all , the Browns are us last year. As we are starting to gather a bit of momentum toward the end of the season I think that we will surprise a few more , wouldn't it be nice if the Pats finished 15-1 :jets:

13. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

If the Steelers beat the Pats I will NEVER hear the end of it from the hubby. He started last night about it and I said yea but we beat your asses so hush.

Damn I hate having to root for the :steelers:

And I didn't think the Browns/Jets game was an "upset" game either.

14. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Right lets win ANOTHER!! I hate the late games , start work at 5am UK time it ain't pretty!!!!

15. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I'm at work... anyone know a stream for the game?

16. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Seconded. God damn Albany area showing the Pats instead of the Jets.

17. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

18. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

sweet good link..thanks man

20. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

New York Jets
    Inactives: QB Marques Tuiasosospo, WR Chris Davis, CB Andre Dyson, DE Mike Devito, T Jacob Bender, T Adrian Jones, TE Jason Pociask, DT Kareem Brown.

Fantasy take: WRs Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery are both active against Cleveland.

Cleveland Browns
    Inactives: QB Ken Dorsey (3rd QB), DB Kenny Wright, DB Ricardo Colclough, G Isaac Sowells, C Greg Eslinger, WR Travis Wilson, LB David McMillan, DT Louis Leonard.

Fantasy take: No significant inactives.