Brooks Reed/Ryan Kerrigan

Discussion in 'Draft' started by HardHitta, Mar 8, 2011.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

If we go OLB, Out of these two guys which one is a better fit and is the better talent at this point.

Brooks Reed
    6'3 263 4.65 ARIZONA

or

Ryan Kerrigan
    6'4 267 4.67 PURDUE

From what i've seen Kerrigan is a bit more explosive and gets to the QB more often but for those who know best, What do use think ?

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1. Post the 10 yd split, not just the 40 time. (1.53 vs 1.61)

2. Out of production alone Kerrigan wins this...

#2 Mambo9, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. HardHitta

True. I really dont give a shit about 40 times i just figured more people are intrigued by it.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'd take Brooks Reed because his ceiling in higher.

Kerrigan's potential is limited because he lacks elite physical tools. I think he's got the work ethic to be a good player in the league, but in the first round, I'll take the more physically gifted player in a neck-and-neck race.

5. HardHitta

Wise words E. I Like brooks reed more but seeing that Kerrigan was more productive i wasn't shure but not every elite nfl pass rusher was a flat out stud in college.

6. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I'd take Reed, but I've learned not to doubt a Purdue DE. They are everywhere...

7. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

What would be the general consensus of Reed in the 1st? Seems everyone likes him as a player but that it'd just be a bit too early. But say the Jets couldn't trade down, would you still be OK with him at 30?

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This is why I'm pretty torn. Purdue DEs are very productive at the pro level.

Reed has the upper hand, but Kerrigan is going to do well as a pro. His intangibles beat Reed's.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

With his combine he's around the 30-40 spot. Before it he was a 35-50 pick.

If his stock rises more from now until draft day, it'll be no big deal taking him at 30.

10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM has great things to say about Brooks Reed:

03/04/11 - We all know by now that Oregon State's Stephen Paea showed record-breaking strength with 49 repetitions of 225 pounds. We also know that Miami cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke was the fastest player in Indianapolis this year, unofficially being recorded at 4.28 seconds in the 40-yard dash. As teams have had a few days to digest all of the numbers coming out of the Combine, however, one player's workout that is gathering momentum as one of the truly elite is Arizona pass rusher Brooks Reed's. Consider that Reed, who measured in at 6024 (6'2 and a 1/2) and 263 pounds and worked out with the defensive linemen, was nonetheless faster than most linebackers. His 4.65 second time in the 40-yard dash, in fact, was faster than 18 of the 24 linebackers tested there. Perhaps his most impressive total came in the most important test for defensive linemen (and, some would say, linebackers) in the ten-yard split. Reed was timed at 1.54 seconds over the first ten yards, demonstrating a degree of explosiveness typically reserved for much smaller men. Reed's 1.54 seconds not only was the fastest of all defensive ends (North Carolina's Robert Quinn was second at 1.61), his split was also faster than some of the more highly touted athletes of the Combine, including Nevada OLB Dontay Moch, Tennessee-Chattanooga CB Buster Skine, Kentucky WR Randall Cobb, Georgia WR AJ Green, Troy WR Jerrel Jernigan, and Texas A&M OLB Von Miller. Each of these players weighed in at less than 250 pounds and all ran the 40-yard dash faster at 4.48 or faster, but weren't as explosive in their initial start as Reed. The initial start, is of course, a highly valued trait for pass rushers. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

EDIT: also worth noting that he put up 30 reps on the bench.

#10 themorey, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ I have a strong feeling Reed may be taken in the first due to this alone.

When you are a pass rusher that has explosion similar to a WR, teams are going to push you up the boards.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

How were his hips? Was he fluid and agile? That was the main problem with Gholston... he's as agile as my grandma.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

There was a moment in the LB drills at the combine where Reed changed direction and my eyes got big and I smiled because he looked like Chris Long.

14. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

At this point, I wouldn't hesitate to take Brooks Reed at #30. Of course, it will depend upon who else might still be available, but unless a guy rated much higher drops down for some reason, or maybe if Justin Houston is there I'd consider him, but otherwise, Brooks Reed would be my pick.

At this point, it looks as if there could be 20 or more players all with approximately the same grade, so if Reed is a bit of a reach, I think it would be only a very slight reach. It is a glaring need for the Jets and must be addressed early and often imo. I'd take Reed and then hope to get another OLB prospect in the 4th or 5th round.

15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I realize this is highlight footage, but shit this kid has a motor. I'm convinced. Is he first round material?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32KAqii4lrk[/YOUTUBE]

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He killed our QB in that footage. I think Mark remembers him and would like to see him on the same team

17. Jet In Brooklyn

Jet In Brooklyn New Member

Kerrigan reminds me a lot of Brandon Graham last year. Excellent football player and a demon on the field, but not great measurables.

As E alluded to, Reed might have the higher ceiling, but I'd prefer Kerrigan. Safer bet to be a good NFL player IMO.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Kerrigan shouldn't be available when the Jets are OTC at #30, so its moot.

Kerrigan could be more valuable to a 4-3 team, not to say he could play in a 3-4. Kerrigan seems stronger and takes on O-lineman better.

Reed seems to be quicker, less stiff in the hips and would be an excellent situational pass rusher if used correctly. Reed seems he could adapt better dropping in coverage, but still a work in progress. Reed will be eaten alive one on one against NFL Tackles....so he has to be coached and used wisely. Reed did do well competing against some top OT's in the Senior Bowl, but that's different than the NFL.

IMO, Reed could very well be the Jet's selection ....he's gaining ground.

The next Clay Matthews??? Maybe and not just because they're both white.

I'm still looking at Ayers, Wilkerson and Wilson in Rd 1 as my favorites.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree with you. With the tenacious drive both players have, and determination to be successful, tack on their productive college careers, I don't see how either option would be a bad one.

I'm digging Wilkerson more and more, I think he might be my favorite right now. I'm hoping we will be in a situation where I will be happy to know there will be a couple of good options to choose from by the time we are OTC.

20. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

brooks reed will not go in the first round.if the jets can get him in the third round.I am okay with that pick.