Bridgewater traded to the Saints

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2018.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Jets now have a 1st & two 3rd's in the 2019 draft.

Ammo for Mack or can they stay put and have those picks + $100M to spend again?

Cman68 likes this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Thankfully, if Sam goes down in Week 1, we can still use our first round pick to trade for Brandon Weeden.

NYJetsO12 and McAllister like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The other component could make the deal more palatable. It better involve us getting something additional rather than NO.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You think Macc is loading up for "The Trade" ?

5. NCJetsfan

A 3rd round pick is very good for a backup, but as you said, Teddy is better than just a backup. He will probably be NO's starter next season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

As a Teddy fan I am not thrilled since I was solidly behind Teddy starting the season #1, but I do understand it. Philly got lucky last year with what they got for Bradford. What were the odds of a Teddy-led Darnold-benched Jets team making the playoffs this year? I like McCown too, so this is definitely better for him. I will HATE this if Teddy is later flipped to Miami. If that happens I will puke.

7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

However, wouldnt Teddy's $5M contract started to kick in at the beginning of the year? Looks like the Jets saved some cap space as well.

8. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Right move. Gllad i can still root for teddy

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

When we first learned that the Jets traded quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to the Saints on Wednesday afternoon, there was no word about what the Saints were sending back as compensation.

That’s now changed. According to multiple reports, the Jets are getting a third-round pick.

That’s a pretty good return for the Jets, who signed Bridgewater to a one-year deal with a $500,000 signing bonus and $500,000 workout bonus this offseason so that he’d be part of their quarterback competition. Holding onto Bridgewater while waiting for an injury to another team’s starting quarterback might have led to a bigger return, but there’s no guarantee that would happen and the chances of getting a third as free agent compensation next offseason wouldn’t look too good if Bridgewater backed up Sam Darnold all season.

11. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

A fair deal for both teams. Bree’s is nearly done and this gives the Saints a possible future franchise qb. I really liked Teddy and I will be rooting for him for as long as he plays. I wish him a long successful career with the Saints and hope he sticks it to the Vikings and Kirk Cousins.

SOJAZ, LogeSection2RowJ and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Takeaways,

- Is Bridgewater worth more than a 3rd? Unquestionably.

- Were we going to get more than that before the season? Extremely unlikely.

So my takeaway is we ended up receiving peak value for him based on the timing. We get the 5mil back, and the additional roster spot.
    Had we waited sure, we could've ended up with a 2nd, a 2nd + a late round, or even a 1st. But, we also would've been at risk for him getting injured and losing out on the 5mil.

I think this was a masterstroke by Mac, he deserves to take a bow.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There's usually 2 sides to "if" statements. It can also be said that "if" the starting QBs of all the teams with playoff aspirations stay healthy through the trade cut-off date, Teddy's value decreases. Furthermore, there's a separate value in not having someone on the roster that whose existence would automatically create a QB controversy the minute our young QB struggles.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Great for the Jets, great for the Saints, great for Teddy

Everyone wins

egelband and All Gas No Shake like this.
  15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Foolish. They would have got more later in the season. Hell, if you're the Giants ... why wouldn't you give a (better) 3rd rounder for Bridgewater right now?

EDIT: Also the roster spot is irrelevant. This team is not a Super Bowl contender, nobody cares if we can't keep an extra guy on the practice squad.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a consideration, but I still think he's worth more than just a 3rd. Apparently there's some additional compensation involved so maybe that will answer my concern.

If the 3rd is used along with our 1st to get Mack that would be a good move IMO, but I really don't think Mack will be gotten for that price.

17. NCJetsfan

I agree with all of this except the last sentence. It would have been a masterstroke if Mac had waited, another team's starting QB went down and we got at least a 2nd round pick or more for Teddy. As it is, it was a very good move. If Schefter is correct that it is more than one pick, then it can get upgraded from there.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Geez - we also gave them a 6th

Buzzkill

19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Could we have got more if a certain set of circumstances occurred within a prescribed time period? Sure, but if those circumstances didn't occur the team would end up with a comp pick or nothing. At this stage, a third is a damn good return and the best you could realistically hope for.

FJF likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

On the face of it, Macc apparently has gotten those 2 second round DP's back in the form of 1 3rd. rounder. Not a particularly high price to pay considering the payoff was Darnold. Now I'm hoping he doesn't sell the farm to get Mack because although we need an edge rusher, we REALLY need to protect Darnold in the form of an upgraded Oline. We have the cash to re-sign all of our FA's easily and still add an outsider if one comes our way. At least we can sell a brighter future now than before Darnold to any potential FA.

#100 Cman68, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.