Brian Hoyer?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sozopol, Oct 14, 2014.

?

Would you be happy if Idzik spent some of his hoard signing Hoyer this offseason?

1. Yes, he's young, had success and would be motivated

37 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. No, he has a low ceiling, too expensive for the value, better to use a high draft pick, etc.

28 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Should the Jets go hard after Brian Hoyer this offseason, if Cleveland is hesitating to re-sign him? I like what I've seen, but I'm the first to admit I am not qualified to evaluate-- I don't follow college football, and haven't seen many Browns games.

Lord knows Idzik has money to burn and Hoyer is young, has experience, and had success without having a lot to work with over there. Further, I can see him having a chip on his shoulder if Cleveland opts for the unproven high draft pick over him. Like Brees in SD.

2. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

or we could bring in his backup :rolleyes:

JetLifeLo and Umphpool like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping the Browns do something stupid like let Hoyer walk and go forward with Manziel this offseason. I absolutely would want the Jets to pursue him if he became available

I like the way he plays, I love his attitude and how he handled the Manziel circus this offseason and that he's stepped up and is playing great football. If he were to end up competing with Geno for a starting job, for example, I'd have no doubt he'd win.

But ultimately I'm not expecting him to hit the market.

freemantoon likes this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Brian Hoyer is the kind of hold the fort guy we need to bring in while we fix our other major holes. With him at QB we can evaluate the talent we have and improve before we bring in and develop a rookie to replace him.

Matty Jets and kevmvp like this.
  5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This sounds eerily similar to the McCown talk as a holdover type guy until the Jets find their future QB. Only difference is Hoyer's younger. I'd be ok with it but let's see how Hoyer does the rest of the season. If he plays well then there's a big QB controversy brewing in Cleveland.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I just voted yes myself but I was kind of wrong to say he's young... he is in his sixth year? I didn't realize until just now reading an article that he was with the Pats for his first three years. He is still young-ish I guess.

8. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Something is in the water at Michigan State that they only give to QBs. Hoyer, Kirk Cousins & the current Spartans QB Connor Cook.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Hoyer has come out multiple times, including yesterday, and said that starting is more important to him than staying in Cleveland. I highly doubt that he resigns with the Browns if Manziel is still on the roster. He and his agent know that over the course of a long term deal Manziel is going to make a run for that job. Also, with such a high investment in Manziel I don't see the Browns rushing to resign Hoyer either.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Add Drew Stanton to that list too.

11. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Idzik won't bring anyone in. He sucks.

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't think they're letting Hoyer walk. But stranger things have happened. If he does become available its a no brainer you have to make a run at Hoyer.

74 likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

All qb options should be on the table next year barring a significant turnaround from geno.

The 1985er likes this.
  14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Stanton couldn't even beat out Tebow and Tim's career skyrocketed whilst Stanton is in the booth doing SEC color commentary.

Or something like that.

_

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cook is the most talented one in my opinion, I hope there's a way in the future to get this guy on the Jets - strong arm, mobile, EXPERIENCE IN PRO OFFENSE, Football IQ. In the mean-time I would definitely sign Hoyer if available in the off-season

mikey likes this.
  16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

He would be the best option out there so it would only make sense to go after him.

And here would be a logical landing spot.

I guess being the only team in the NFL that needs a QB counts for something positive

Sign Hoyer, trade for Cousins, draft Mariota in the 2nd round after his Geno-like fall and have a real QB comp.

Only half kidding of course. But also half dead serious!

17. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Thats what I was thinking its always possible. Imagine Manizel's Ego would eat up NY.

18. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Screw Manziel Winston and Mariota if we can bring in this kid... draft Cooper sign a big time WR free agent... and go OL in rounds 2 and 3 I would be ecstatic

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He cant wear number 6 though. That number needs to be retired.

20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I think Hoyer is the kind of guy you can bring in. He is accurate, careful with the ball, and if you can spend some gilt and get him talent (through the draft as well) you might be able to do a quick turnaround/ When you cannot find a franchise QB, get your brad Johnson and surround him with some real talent.