Brett Who??????

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Aug 7, 2008.

1. section134

section134 Active Member

Ratliff is the man

2. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

He looks like he will be after a year or 2 playing with Favre. :)

3. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

While he looked good, this reminds me of a certain other QB that everyone got a hardon about because of a few preseason games....

4. JetsBigD

JetsBigD Member

It is actually a good point about Favre mentoring Clemens, Ratliff, and Ainge....future HOF mention

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Color me crazy, but the one thing I don't see Favre as being is a mentor or a teacher. He's a wild west gun slinger... he goes out and lets it fly. I can't see him being a tutor to the younger guys. A leader? Yes. A mentor, no. That is the one big thing we lose in Penny is his willingness and ability to mentor.

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Easy fella. You're getting a woody on a #3 in the depth chart preseason QB who performed well against scrubs over a proven NFL Legend.

Think about that for a minute, that may help you find out what the answer is to the "Brett who????" question.

7. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

surely we wont have 4 qb's on the roster come game 1 so who will be cut/put on the practice squad?? ratliff or ainge?

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

If this was the case, then Clemens should've proven to the front office that he's the guy for the future for the Jets already and Favre would've been an afterthought. However, the outcome is...Pennington is cut and we got Brett Favre.

9. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Finally a voice of reason. :wink:

10. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Your reply has absolutely nothing to do with the comment you quoted. :eek:hmy:

11. BSartist

BSartist New Member

oh, you mean finally someone hating on Favre. how do you know he won't be a mentor?? huh? he seems like a nice old man. lol.

have another flask of dumb.

12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

okay, I'll help you out here lilttle buddy by bolding the quote I was referring to...

Pennington is gone. Favre is here. Clemens is #2 (with Ratliff about to overtake Clemens, as some posters see it). What does that tell you about how much we lost with "Pennington and his willingness and ability to mentor"?

If you're saying we should've kept Pennington as maybe an Assistant QB coach on a staff salary, then we're in somewhat of an agreement. But not as a starting QB.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We'll keep em all. My guess is Ratliff will be the #3, Ainge to practice squad.

14. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Look... I wasn't hating on Favre. I'm semi-comfortable with the idea of having Favre. I'm just hoping his invincibility streak continues and he doesn't start holding pressers about how he's feeling the old home calling.

My point about him being a mentor was simply that I don't see him doing much to fulfill that role. Not so much a knock on him. Not every player is that kind of guy that he teaches the game to others. Pennington was that kinda guy. I just pointed it out because some others seem to think that Brett is going to take KC under his wing and make him better. I don't see it happening. I believe in ways, like leading by example he'll be a good influence, but I don't see him showing the kid things about reading coverages, etc.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While that is true, I wonder about Chad's ability to teach the game ot others. Check down Chad always took the safe play. Even when we needed mroe then a 4 year throw for a first.

He was classy and smart, but his time had come and gone.

16. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

The ability to make the choice to squeeze a pass into traffic or check it down is something every QB has to figure out for themselves, based on their own ability and judgement. I don't think you actually teach that. I think Chad would teach the options... 1, 2, checkdown.. whatever. I dont' think he's going to turn someone into a checkdown robot or anything.

17. Wild Thing

Wild Thing New Member

Very astute evaluation. That was a bit of a problem here in Cheeseworld - he never really warmed up to Rodgers the first year or so, and was in fact rather aloof to younger teammates and especially younger quarterbacks. He even said, "It's not my job to coach (Rodgers)."

To be fair, though, it's probably a different situation for him in New York. With Rodgers, Favre saw the kid as a direct threat to his job security. In one sense, you can hardly blame the guy for not wanting to help make him an even bigger threat, right? Favre still wanted to play several more years, and he didn't have anything to gain by helping someone push him out the door. But now, at this stage of his career, he probably realizes he's only going to play another 2 years at the most anyway, so why not help the youngsters out?

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think while playing he had already turned into a check down robot. He has the Smarts to be a great coach, or perhaps GM in the future. I really think he had lost alot of confidence in his ability to make the tight throws. I wish the best for him where ever he lands but jsut don't see him making a huge difference for anyone.

19. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

There were tons of checkdowns the last couple of years, so it is hard to disagree. There could certainly be a confidence problem there throwing downfield. I believe he'll do alright, providing he lands with a team with halfway decent OL and some kind of a running game.

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I have a hard time understanding why a guy that has had the success that Favre has had would actually be insecure enough to snub younger players, but you do see it happen over the years. How the Montana/Young business turned out. Human nature I guess. You might be on to something there with his coming to NY. He has to know the road is very short and it is time to just have some fun. KC is clearly not much of a threat. We will likely be looking for someone to replace him down the road.