Brett Ratliffe and Exciting Young Jets Players.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm going to make the case for Brett Ratliffe as starter for the Jets next season.
    For those who don't remember what he can do , some videos. I really hope Clowney makes a return too.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uyH9ovtdPY[/YOUTUBE]

Raymond Drops TD Catch from Ratliffe
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt2bPXAhQc4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Lets have more scenes like this next season
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvUXxlny18&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Please stop. He had one good preseason game.

3. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

When I watch that video it makes me think there is no way this team should not have made the playoffs it breaks my heart.

4. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Two completions where the WR was open by more than 10 yards where he didn't look off anyone. Clemens hits the guy in the hands in the end zone and he dropped it. I don't see the case for anything other than Cloney destroyed a couple of third string DB's and Ratliff threw the ball into the area.

6. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

He didn't just throw it in the area, he hit him in stride, twice. There's a difference. And he was open by more like five yards. :wink:

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I do understand your statement, but i think your missing the bigger point as to why some of us have hope that Ratliff will be our future.
    When you watch him play he seems to possess a lot of the qualities that scouts look for in a QB. He seems to be able to make all the throws needed to be successful. He seems comfortable in the pocket and when under pressure. Doesn't seem to force throws and on top of that has a cannon for an arm, which we all know is needed in the Meadowlands.
    I don't understand why it's such a problem for some posters to this board(not saying your one of them) that some of us see Ratliff as our future.
    It seems that it would be more acceptable to some to jump on the "hot college prospect" bandwagon, and put our faith in a player who's never played against NFL caliber players, or even in an NFL style offense.
    I, for one, have faith in Ratliff. I understand there are no guarentees he will turn out to be the 2nd coming of Kenny O'Brien(I'm joking!!), but i'd much rather give him every opportunity to succeed, given his cap friendly contract, then draft some unknown 19 year old in the first round and give him a ton of $, with the hope that he MAY turn out to be something special.

#7 Jersey Joe 67, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

Well said!

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I see the light. Because Ratliff was highly successful in extremely limited playtime, he clearly sucks.

All aboard the Sage Rosenfels train!

10. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Some clear thinking, well said good sir.

11. Long Time Jet Fan

Given that O'Brien is the second best quarterback the Jets have ever had, his second coming might not be such a bad idea. He wasn't Dan Marino, but he wasn't bad. :wink:

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Agreed. The only thing those video's show is that Ratliff can hit a guy who is Wideopen. The Second video shows him lock on to his primary target and throw a decent pass to someone, again, wideopen in the endzone. Based on that we are supposed to have so gret hope for him?

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I always felt if we had a good offensive line protecting Kenny O, he would have been an awesome QB.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Passing on a good QB prospect in the first because of a guy like ratliff or even Clemens is folly at this point. We do not have a QB on the Roster who has proven much at all in real game situations. Taking a top rated prospect if one falls to us in the first makes a ton of sense. Reaching on some lesser prospect does not.

Kellen has some awful stats to go with a 3-4 record in a year where we had no line and finished 4-12. I would love to see him get a shot with the current offense. While he did have some pocket presence and footwork problems in 07 it would be nice to see if he can work those out with some actual blocking. He is still very young and seems to have the tools to play QB in the NFL.

Ratliff is still very green having yet to play a single down against NFL first stringers. He can make some nice throws but has not proven enough to warrent passing on a top QB prospect if one falls to us. At this point its 50/50 at best he could even beat out Clemens. I would not mind keep him around because he may become good, but there is not reason not to look in otehr directions when you may or may not have an answer at the most important position on your offense.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

O'Brien was not better than Pennington.

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I am just saying this. After beating a few fourth string waiver wire guys everyone is saying he has all the tools. If he does it against the first stringers in a tougher situation than yeah, I will be impressed. Nice throws, don't get me wrong, but it is against a bunch of fringe players at best. I hope he is the second coming of John Elway, but we will just have to wait. Using a few preseason games to say what he is capable of seems a stretch.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You are kidding right?

18. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

That's preseason football. Ask anyone....anyone....and they will say it's preseason. Yeah it looks good, but it's preseson......why do I feel like Allen Iverson here?

19. Long Time Jet Fan

He was as far as I'm concerned.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Remember two years ago Clemens looked great in preseason. Now everyone drops him like a hot potato, doesn't want him to start.