Bowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cmcm750203, Sep 23, 2015.

1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

What a breath of fresh air. It seems like I've said that about every new coach since Parcells so I'll reserve full judgement til after the season at least but I'm impressed. I was one of Rex's biggest supporters and was still sad to see him go but I don't miss him one iota.

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

He handled the Geno adversity very well. The team is playing hard and appears ready to start every game. As an X and Os guy I think hes done well too. Seems to adjust quickly.

tiger8mush and jxc like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Read this today about him. I thought it was awesome

*Every Monday, Bowles shows his team video clips from other games, instances in which teams lost because of critical mistakes. There are a thousand ways to lose a football game -- the Jets' closest NFL neighbors, the Eagles and New York Giants, have provided plenty of material -- and he wants to educate his players on potential pitfalls. Parcells used to do the same thing.

"I talk to them every day about others' mistakes -- not just our team, but other teams," Bowles said. "Something happens every week. We talk about how games are won or lost, saying, 'We can't do this' or 'We don't want to do that.' Not just our film, but everybody's film. We're mature in that way. It helps a lot."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...s-dangerous-game-by-channeling-inner-parcells

jxc, rohirrim665, NCJetsfan and 5 others like this.
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Count me as a huge Bowles fan, here on two points. One is the team needed a new and better direction after the RYan era. Bowles is a perfect replacement in that regard.

Second is even that aside, I like his style. It's more about focus, competence, whether he can do those and inspire the players as their leader. So far he does and I think he will continue to.

Of his predecessors I did think at first that Ryan was a hoot, and given the departure of Favre it looked like the team would have to field an excellent D to be competitive, so I liked his emphasis. That was at least partly wrong, though, since i underestimated how poorly he might do managing the Qb situation with a rookie and thereafter.

I was not impressed by the Mangini hire since it seemed based on the asumption he would be good just because he'd been around Belicheat. Being his gofer for coffee was going to do that? He turned out at first to be not so bad, and you could argue he was fired a little too easily, but I was glad to see him go nonetheless. Uninspired and petty leader.

Herm I had no reason to thnk would be a good HC, and he turned out not to be. He could be amusing, but more often was embarassment. And the way he left? Wow.

I never undersood there to be any merit to the Groh hire. Because there wasn't any.

Bowles looks like the best HC at least since Parcells.

#4 Big Blocker, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    nycarl, Cman68 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

There always seems to be a year or two love affair before things come crashing down.

Herm made the playoffs in his first year here..same with Mangini and Rex.

If Bowles is here in 5 years and fans still want him here then something drastically changed with this franchise.

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding! Mangini did this kind of shit too.

He used to quiz the DL on Secondary assignments to make sure all phases of the defense were understood by everyone, and we all praised the tactic when we first heard of it.

He will be judged by Ws and Ls not film study habits. I like his attitude though for sure.

Jets69 and irishwhip03 like this.
  7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He seems like a really bright guy. So far so good. Future is looking bright.

Pocket Jet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I like how his demeanor stays steady no matter the score or situation. I wish I had that ability.

jxc, Cman68 and rohirrim665 like this.
  9. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I think the main issue with Mangini was that he was a dick. Like a mini Jim Harbaugh.

Bowles seems to be a cross between Mangini and Rex. He seems to be fun and lovable, but also expects work to be done.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yeah seems that way. I hope you're right.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Every coach in the league shows film of other teams mistakes.....That's not exclusive to Todd Bowles

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I really wish the archives from Mangini's first season were still available.

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just like how calm he is. Up or down, good play or bad he's relatively emotionless. Teams can go up or down with a coaches passionate behavior
    The more mad a coach gets the more frustrated the player and sideline is.

It was a huge problem with Rex. The team thrived on his emotions.

wewantsapp likes this.
  14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

He knows who he is and he likes who he is. I think he wants the team to have that conviction, not based on bluster, but on quiet confidence

#14 jdon, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    wewantsapp and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Bowles at the controls - it's a good thing.

16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. Take for example week 2 in Buffalo against the Patriots....... So much "noise" / bulletin board talk coming from the Bills before that game, in my opinion, it carried over onto the field in a negative way = multiple dumb penalties and personal fouls. "Undisciplined" comes to my mind when I think of any Rex Ryan team.

17. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

This is it. Mangini brought a lot of fresh ideas to the table, and he is still a good football coach now. Ultimately it seemed he was unprepared to handle the duty of being a head coach and ended up rubbing a lot of people the wrong way from players to management. Bowles seems to have a grasp on the people aspect as well as the Xs and Os. Not really the same thing.

18. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Bowles was also a former player, which I think helps as well in terms of relating to players a bit.

TNJet likes this.
  19. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think that's more a product of the talent dropping off after a couple of years and poor GM performance in restocking the team. Mac appears to be a great GM, but I'm a little concerned about their cap situation after this year - according to http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/2016/ next year the jets have about $8 million of cap space for 2016, but that's without Mo, Harrison, Demario Davis, Fitz and some other players. They can try to do somethings like converting base salary to bonus to create some cap space, but that just means you're going to have a bigger problem in future years. If they end up franchising Mo then he'll eat about $15 million of cap space, which they can't afford to do. I think they're going to have to franchise and trade Mo unless he's willing to provide a nice hometown discount. Brick and Mangold are taking up about $23 million of cap space and their play has dropped off, so I'm guessing they'll have to approach one or both them about a pay cut (this expectation might be why they're carrying so many Olineman now). I suspect they'll also have to trade Cromartie who counts $8 million against the cap - since they have so much depth at CB. Couples is also massively overpaid at nearly $8 million per year. I hope they find a way to keep Harrison.

I think the team next year will be significantly different.

20. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Could be wrong, but I see a very nice balance in our head coach. He is very professional and yet has good people skills. I think this is going to be a huge reason we may turn the corner. Discipline is the first change I see thus far. And one that I feel is most important.

When the ass clown was here, I really felt that all the pre and post game antics made it worse for the team. Many said he was Taking the pressure off the team, but I strongly disagree. Show me a "Player's Coach" and I show you a losing team.

wewantsapp and NCJetsfan like this.