Bowles denies report that Hackenberg is awful in practice

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jedi mind tricks, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't think TB realizes sometimes the conflicting shit that he says..I remember folks saying Mangini was trying too hard to be Belichek. I'm saying Bowles is trying too hard to be Parcells.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The QUAK and his FRAUD announcements

Yeah right....

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

To be fair, Hackenberg takes a ton of hate and he hasn't even played yet.

I hate a lot about what the Jets are doing right now, but I think it's unfair to a guy who basically just left his teens and wasn't a first round pick to receive the sort of criticism he's garnering right now.

Frankly, if Hackenberg is really as bad as described, then the criticism should be on MacCagnan, not Hackenberg.

5. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

This is fair.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I sometimes think Jets fans actually like seeing our players and coaches fail. Idk.

cmcm750203 and PulseJet like this.
  7. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Bowles and Mac, have buried him because their jobs ride on his poor selection and lack of development:confused:

8. same old jets

same old jets Member

This is a very fair point...I think most are fine with developing a QB but picking him in the high 2d round puts a premium on the pick...add that to he couldnt get one snap in a lost season and is basically hidden is an indictment of the pick which happens to be Hack....really it does fall on Mac as his last 2 2d rd picks (and almost every 2d rd pick prior to that except for Harris) has been a bust. I've never seen a team blow more 2d rd picks that are completely avoidable. If Hack was drafted where Petty was no one would care that he sat for a year....this team doesnt have the luxury of using high picks for projects that may or may not pan out....based on where he was selected if Hack can't seriously compete to be the starter next year then Mac should be on the hot seat.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Is it possible that his lack of reps was due to Gailey telling Bowles he was planning on retiring? Instead of taking team snaps in only Gailey's offense, he got the chance to run tons of different offenses while operating the scout team.

If they're really smart/detailed, they can use that information to see which systems to look for in a new OC.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Reporter: coach, what about the reports that hackenberg can't hit the ocean?
    Bowles: that is not true, he threw one into the ocean at last practice, he was trying to hit peake but still.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You get a lot of reps on the scout team. I'm guessing his inaccuracy has become a flashing red light for the Jets at this point. He hasn't been running the Jets spread he's been running key plays from opposing offensive schemes and if he can't hit the side of a barn, well that's going to be obvious to the Jets by now.

The scout team runs a pretty basic selection of plays. They're not running the exotic stuff for the most part. They're running the plays the Jets are most likely to see out of the opponent on Sunday.

The other thing is that the Jets aren't going to hire an OC because he runs a system that Hackenberg might play well in. They're going to hire an OC who knows how to get production out of the offense and then they're going to find players that can play in his system.

Matching a QB and an OC is something that happens with veteran QB's when the OC changes if the vet QB is the key to the offense. It's not something that a team does to try to salvage a 2nd or 4th round pick. God help us if the Jets are looking for an OC that matches Petty and Hackenberg's strengths because for one thing they're not particularly similar QB's in the first place.

The thing to realize about Hackenberg at this point is that when the Jets give up on him it is all over for him in the NFL. He might get a look somewhere but that's all you get as a failed QB prospect. He is going to have to play very well to keep his spot on the Jets or find a spot elsewhere once the Jets have decided to move on.

So far he shows no signs at all of being able to play well enough to keep the wows coming as he tries out for his next gig and at that point the people watching need to be going wow or they'll just move on and watch the next guy on their list.

#11 Br4d, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

None of us know how Hack has looked between his awful preseason performance and now. We'll see how he looks come July or August.

hwismer likes this.
  13. Cman68

It might take that long to get all the bubblewrap off.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I will venture to say that if we draft a QB again this year, with all our other needs, will flag us to the fact that the FO does not see long term growth in either Petty or Hack. If we bring in a vet to compete for the starting job, it will confirm neither will be a starter in 2017...or possibly never.

15. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I think Schefter should be compelled to reveal his source though.

Personally, I don't think any NFL coaches are running up to this gossip queen who still lives in his mom's basement and saying stuff like this. It's worse than a Mehta anonymous source

16. Cman68

Doesn't really matter now since they all were fired. If that coach is still on the staff, it kinda narrows it down to a few guys. Boyer, Bowles and Rodgers would instantly become suspects.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When it comes to the Jets anonymous sources have no value at all. It's so easy to make one up and at the same time there have definitely been guys who spoke when they shouldn't have in the past.

When I see anonymous source next to a story about the Jets it lowers my opinion of the writer as much as it does my opinion of the Jets. Sometimes more so.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  18. Cman68

19. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The problem is your Oline has 4 backups starting and, while they appear to be OK at run blocking, their pass blocking has been pretty bad. Hackenberg spent his last couple of years at Penn State behind a terrible line and running for his life most of the time. They want to have an offseason program with him that will fix his mechanical problems and increase his accuracy. You do not fix or improve his mechanical problems by putting him in a situation behind a terrible pass blocking Oline and having him run for his life because that just means he'll reinforce the bad mechanics he already has. They need to fix his mechanics first.

I also would have liked to see him play, but I understand why they didn't want to throw him in behind that Oline right now.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

NYJFOREVER likes this.