Bowl Game Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Lon Chaney, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

We missed the first 3 bowls, but I thought tonight would be a good night to start this thread.

2 of my favorite prospects are playing tonight in the Beef O' Brady's St. Petersburgh Bowl.

WR T.Y. Hilton from Florida International

He's a little undersized to be a true #1 WR at 5'10" and 185 lbs, but man can he play. Reminds me a lot of Antonio Brown. Fast, great hands, great return skills, from South Florida, played for a small college. Would be a great 3rd round pick.

DE Vinny Curry from Marshall

Love this kid's motor. If you ever watched a Marshall game, you've seen #99 blowing up plays in the backfield, pressuring the QB, and causing general havoc. Could make the transition to OLB -- he's listed at 6'3" and 260 lbs. Another solid 3rd round.

2. Lon Chaney

I have a feeling both these guys could rise to the 2nd round after the combine.

Also, FIU -4 is the lock of the Bowl Season.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Bowls are very important to improve a player's draft stock.

Looking forward to tonight's game.

Hakeem Nicks had a huge bowl game, I think it was against WVU, that rose his stock big time.

4. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I've seen Hilton in person, and that guy is an exceptional return man, even against good teams.

5. casman02

casman02 New Member

One more guy to possibly keep an eye out for is Aaron Dobson, the WR from Marshall. Not sure if he is coming out this year, but has pretty good size.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Dobson is nasty but I'm pretty sure they said he wasn't coming out this year.

7. casman02

casman02 New Member

I heard he put his name into to the draft advisory board and is waiting to see where he is projected. But I do think he should stay in school and refine his skills a little more.

8. casman02

casman02 New Member

It looks like FIU's quarterback is trying to ruin the Lock of the Bowl Season.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Curry got demolished on one play but other than that he's been doing pretty well from what I've seen. Only half paying attention to the game though.

10. Lon Chaney

Really unbelievable. He played like garbage and Hilton hurt his quad and hammy.

Neither prospect did anything in this game to garner attention.

11. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

Hilton was all over the place before the injury though. He made a lot of a short swing pass, then ran an end-around for a TD

12. Lon Chaney

Hilton also fumbled with his team driving late to try and tie or take the lead.

I think for Hilton to elevate himself into the early 3rd round, he needs to hit on all his measureables at the combine.

Is he really 5'10""?

Does he really weigh 185 lbs?

Can he run a sub 4.45 40?

These are important questions because the kid obviously has the skill to play at the next level.

13. Lon Chaney

Poinsettia Bowl -- TCU vs LA Tech

Not much to get excited for as far as prospects go in this one.

OLB Tank Carder from TCU

Great name. Hits like a truck (or tank). 2 Time MWC Defensive Player of the Year. Has intangibles that scouts love -- high football IQ, high motor type. He's a little slow and undersized. Probably best suited as 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB. I think he will be a serviceable pro. Middle to late 4th round. He would be a decent middle round replacement for Scott.

#13 Lon Chaney, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  14. casman02

casman02 New Member

I wonder if Quinton Patton from LA Tech is gonna come out. He looked pretty good yesterday and had a decent year. I believe he is only a junior though so who knows.

15. REVISion

Burfict anyone? Just started watching and haven't seen him in the game yet.

16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Benched? He's not that good.

17. casman02

casman02 New Member

I did not see much, but I think he was benched for attitude issues. I am pretty sure he drew 15 yard penalties. He certainly did nothing to help his stock tonight.

18. REVISion

Yikes. Part of me thinks that's a good thing since he'll probably drop further in the draft, but the kid really has some issues and is reallllllly risky.

19. Lon Chaney

Burfict is a TGG favorite. He's a nasty player who plays downhill and is a sure tackler. Many on here love this kid for the Jets in Rd 1. I do not.

The 3 things that concern me about Vontaze.

1. Obviously his attitude and work ethic. Labels like lazy and malcontent are hard to shake.

2. He's not great in coverage.

3. Although he has potential to be a pass rusher, can he play OLB in Rex's system? If not, there is no point of drafting him. An ILB to take Scott's role can be addressed later in the draft (Tank Carder).

20. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Watched most of the Boise St / Arizona St and was very impressed with........Boise St RB - Doug Martin.

Kid is 5 '9 218lbs. runs with elusiveness and quickness, but at the same time runs downhill and was rarely tackled on first contact. Tremendous lower body power built in the mold of Marcus Jones Drew.

He caught the ball nicely as well and was not at all afraid to stick his helmet in their and pick up the blitzing LB.

Forgot to mention he ran back the opening KO for a TD.

I have a feeeling his stock is really going to rise at the combines.

I think Tanny could / should take a long look at this kid if he was to last until our pick in the 2nd round.