Blue Chip O-Line Prospects?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by stinkyB, Mar 12, 2015.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ok, everyone gets all excited about the "sexy" position players, but it all starts in the trenches.

Unfortunately the JETs O-line is not very good, and this compounded by a QB that also isnt very good. In the name of ball control (since right now the "D" looks far superior) and basically giving QB "X" time for now and the future they need to bring in some studly young talent. (last time that happenned was 2006..... jury's still out on Obushi. Winters sucks, and the rt side needs an overhaul too)

I'm a very casual College football fan.... I watch the Gators big / rivalry matchups or whatever game is on national TV saturday night, so draft nerds who are your ideal O-line targets for the JETS (either rd2 or a trade down)?

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Cedric Ogbuehi has the potential to play LT in the NFL but will drop due to injury.

I think he will go late in round two.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Check out the thread SOS - Offensive Line and the Draft. CleveSteve mentions several excellent prospects.

4. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt hate Andrus Peat at 6 if all the big name offensive guys are gone

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

IMO, there is no one worth the 6th overall pick. IF we trade back, there are a number of guys I would want. We need to draft Ferguson's replacement this draft, I think.

6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Even if it's a bit of a reach, we should address the OL. I'm not going crazy if we pick a guy projected to go 9 or 10 at 6. If we have an offer to slide back a few spots before doing so, even better. We're ok for this year, but within the next 2-3 years we'll have to replace at least 2 of Breno, Brick and Mangold with younger, cheaper alternatives. A guy like Scherff who can slide in at OG this year & replace Breno at OT next year could fill a huge need.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't know how actual GM's feel about him, but Peat is my favorite OL this year.

If the Jets could trade back and grab Cleveland's two picks I would definitely draft Peat first and either Gurley or Devante Parker.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

My favourite OL in the draft is Andrus Peat but I hope we don't take an OL unless we trade back.... Just don't want to reach for one when we could have either Cooper or White or fowler or Gregory if Mariota and Winston are gone...

TwoHeadedMonster and almbleamal like this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Peat is my pick at 6 over all others. Of course, I'd much prefer to trade down to the Rams or Eagles and pick up some more picks. We need a QB, no question, but my personal opinion is that there isn't one worth taking in this draft. We really have to address our guard positions and absolutely have to get Brick's replacement starting somewhere on this line this year, because it makes no sense to pay Brick what he's supposed to make next year. If Peat, Scherff, or Humphries is available, we need one of them.

If we're starting Mariota next year, or if we're starting a rookie-- the kid is going to need better protection that we've given our QBs the last several years.

10. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I think he may go -significantly- later, he did -not- impress even in his non-injury play this season. Gave up a ton of sacks.

Brandon Scherff and La'El Collins are probably the most blue-chip OLine prospects, but either would be a bit of a reach at #6, but will be gone by the end of the first round for sure. Ereck Flowers has gotten some good reviews as well but I haven't seen any of his tape. Andrus Peat has prototypical size and could be a late-first / early-second type pick, so he's another guy worth looking at if he falls to the top of the second. (I'm not as in love with him as some others after watching him get utterly torn apart by Nate Orchard - and he isn't even a top5 edge prospect in this year's class) Jake Fisher and Cameron Erving are worth considering at the top of the second as well.

11. James Hasty

Unless we trade down we need to look at guys like Erving, Humphries, Fisher, and Ogbuehi.

Scherff, Collins, Peat, and Clemmings will not be there in round two.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

I strongly advocate trading down. We need young talent all along the O-line as well as at OLB and ILB, (and QB!!!). Considering the OL and OLB talent in this draft, if we can translate that #6 into a middle 1st and a early to middle second, I think we will end up with the better end of the deal. But a lot of folks really want to watch Mariota hold a clip board.

13. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I hadn't gotten a chance to watch anything on Scherff until yesterday, but if you head over to draftbreakdown.com and look at his cut-up vs. Maryland you will be appalled. I don't think I've ever seen an OL touted as a first rounder get bullrushed in the passing game so easily. It's embarrassing. He's got good lateral movement in that he covers a lot of ground but I think he plays with too wide of a base to do it and he loses a lot of leverage/power. He is too slow to react to stunts or any angle he's not expecting IMO based on the Indiana and Maryland cut-ups. He also has trouble finding people to block at the second level too much when Iowa runs the zone or zone stretch. That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine for OL and FBs. That shouldn't be as much of an issue in a man blocking scheme. I don't know what the Jets run. I am still going to watch him in the bowl game vs. Tennessee... it's on my DVR I just haven't gotten to it yet... but I would just stay away from him. JMO.

14. TwoHeadedMonster

Yeah, that Bowl Game. I'm not a fan of either team, but I was excited for a match up of two of my favorite HCs. It was pretty pathetic, if you ask me. Peat looks to have a better frame for a LT, although I haven't checked their measurements-- the eye test says Peat is a LT, Scherff is a RG.

15. NCJetsfan

Right we're going to use the #6 pick on a player just to watch him hold a clipboard for his career. Brilliant observation and commentary!!! LOL Whatever. You obviously no nothing about Mariota or how important the QB position is.

16. James Hasty

He has short arms. I would be concerned about leaving him in space at OT but think he could be outstanding as a guard in the NFL.

17. NCJetsfan

The Jets have run a zone blocking scheme, and I think I read somewhere that they plan to continue that, but I could be wrong about the latter part.

CleveSteve likes this.
  18. TwoHeadedMonster

You can love the guy as much as you want. If we draft him, I'll root for him like crazy. I don't dislike the guy at all--but I liked Bridgewater a lot more than I like Mariota. If we could pick him up late in the first, or early in the second, I'd be ecstatic. I just don't think he's a guy to pin a franchise's hopes and dreams on. And I certainly think whoever we put out there needs a better O-line than we have now, and certainly better than the one we're likely looking at next year.

But maybe everyone who isn't totally convinced that Mariota is the next Peyton Manning is just a moron. Sorry, my bad.

19. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Scherff should never take a snap at tackle.

20. NCJetsfan

I liked Bridgewater a lot more too! I also agree that we need a lot better OL. If we take Mariota and he sits for a year, then Fitz and Geno can take the beating until Mac gets the OL sorted out.

I didn't say that you were a moron. Don't put words in my mouth. You were the one who made the ridiculous comment like if we took Mariota he'd be doing nothing but holding a clipboard. I nailed you on it. Don't whine and wonder why. You and a lot of others need to think about what you write and why maybe other posters nail you on what you write. It isn't personal. But when someone makes a stupid comment, I'm gonna call 'em on it every single time.