Bilal Powell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Aug 17, 2014.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

WHEN are the CS going to give him more carries. Personally I think he is the best HB on the team, and that includes last season as well.
    He shows, toughness, speed, vision, agility and something you can't coach a hunger to get the job done.

Out of all our HBs so far this pre-season he's looked the best, like last years pre-season as well.
    But it seems the 'names' get the carries over ability :(

Gunther likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Have to disagree entirely here.

I'd rather CJ and Ivory get the majority of carries. Powell is not a workhorse back. More of a quick change of pace back.

3. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

He'll be a great 3rd down back and is waiting in the wings if Ivory or Johnson get banged up. Bilal Powell is one of my favorite players on this team and he should have a decent role this year I'm glad they named him a starter on the first depth chart.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ivory and CJ are just better runners. That's all there is to it. Ivory is a power back and CJ is a better guy outside the numbers and out of the backfield. Luckily, that doesn't mean Powell is bad. He's quite good. Just not as good as what is in front of him.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

He's good and was one of the best players on the field last night. A highly improved player who can get a decent contract when his deal with the Jets expired. He's very quick and strong.

6. Gunther

Gunther Member

Bilal Powell is overlooked by the media , but he has been the one consistent in the jets running game.

7. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

He is the best all around back by far. He can do everything really well.

CJ and Ivory are special skill set runners. CJ can run better in open field than anyone else, Ivory can break tackles and churn legs better than anyone else. Powell is better at open field running than Ivory but not as good as CJ. Powell is better at breaking tackles than CJ but not as good as Ivory.

CJ and Ivory and a good tandem because they are each good (but one dimensional) backs. Powell brings that "Trust Factor" to the position. All 3 are good to have.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think Powell breaks out this year. Maybe not in stats because he won't get the ball too much, but he will really impress in the carries he does get.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like Powell a lot and agree with most of the comments here, but imo he is simply too slow to be the starting RB. He is a solid player who does everything well, and I'm glad the Jets have him, but he's not an elite talent. IMO he's sort of a CuMar lite...he does everything well, is a real pro, hard worker, solid citizen, great teammate and class act, but is not great at anything.

74 likes this.
  10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Powell dont excell in no area but is the most complete back in the team , he can do a everything but he wont beat ivory and chris johnson at their best atribute ( homerun speed (CJ) , Power Running ( Ivory)) thats why its a good combo we have .

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Powell is a solid running back and I'm glad we have him .We have the best depth at running back that we have ever had before

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I love Chris Ivory's ability to make something out of nothing. I do like Powell and love our 3 RBs and how fresh they can keep eachother. They all do things a bit differently as well. Still think Ivory is the superior back because of his ability to get yards after hits.

13. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Powell is a quality depth back, which is critical with the Jets' run first philosophy. Hopefully he can be re-signed for decent value at the end of the year.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I also want to figure out a way to keep Richardson on the roster. He has looked great so far and RB depth is always a necessity in the modern NFL.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

For a team that wants to run the ball we certainly put a nice group together that want carries!

16. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

I totally agree, both Powell and Richardson looked amazing last night. We have to find a way to keep both on the roster. I would hate it if we once again had to cut a promising young running back, and then be forced to watch them excel on another team. It'd be just like Danny Woodhead all over again.

17. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

Double post....

18. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I would like to see him featured more myself. He can do it all, run, block and catch.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Last year with Ivory hurt, Powell took almost 100% of snaps in training camp and preseason. As a result his body and legs were spent part way through.

MM will use all 3 backs this year (maybe 4) and try to keep them all healthy and fresh. But if either CJ or Ivory go down, Powell will let the run game continue without missing 2 beats.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If we never picked up CJ we still would've been in good shape with Powell and Ivory. Powell is unappreciated at times by this fanbase.

NYJETS4life24 likes this.