Biggest "Mangini Guy" in the draft this year

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jetsfan119, Dec 24, 2006.

1. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

I was watching the armed forces bowl:

Tulsa vs. Utah

and one player that was ALWAYS making plays on both offense and defense was a guy named Eric Weddle. He plays CB/S/KR/Special Teams/QB. Throughout the game all the announcers kept saying was how smart and selfless he is and how he is so good to the team and a brilliant mind when it comes to football, now is it me or is this EVERYTHING mangini looks for. I would love to see this guy on the Jets and im sure they can get him in between the 3rd and possibly 5th rounds.

And one of the most amazing things I saw was when there were 2 seconds left in the game, Tulsa QB Smith threw a prayer and Weddle picked it off, he had nobody in front of him and had a clear shot at the endzone, instead he put his knee on the ground, one of the classiest things a player can do.

Plus, i wouldnt mind seeing his wife watching the games in E. Rutherfod, they kept showing her on TV, shes real hot.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Strengths:
    A playmaker with excellent ball skills...Has great instincts...Tough, aggressive and a good tackler...Is always around the action...A high character player who will be an asset on and off the field...Smart and a hard worker with a great motor...Was very productive and a game changer at the college level...Will be a great special teamer and also returned punts for the Utes...Versatile with experience at both safety and cornerback with the potential to play either position at the pro level.

Weaknesses:
    A CB / S 'tweener who might not have a true position...An overachiever who gets the most out of his ability but isn't particularly big or fast...Will have a much more difficult time in coverage than he did in college...As a safety he won't be a great fit in coverage or in the box...Probably won't contribute as a return man in the pros.

Notes:
    Special education major who is very active in the community...The type who won't impress you with his physical tools but just gets the job done between the lines and is a true football player...Underrated prospect whose grade will be affected by a lack of measurables but he will end up making teams regret passing on him.

[​IMG]

3. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

At least you didn't say Brian Leonard. While Weddle may be a good candidate, he is not going to be able to play QB or CB in the league. This leaves safety (our most stocked position) and KR/Special Teams. So basically I don't see him as a Jet.

It was pretty impressive to see him running options out there knowing he was really a Safety.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Dan Bazuin DE/OLB CMU..................IMO, fit's the mold of a "Mangini type" player to a tee. Great Kid, All-Academic (3.5), Co-Captain of the the Team.
    Don't forget, he's a monster of a player that wrecks havoc in the opponent's backfield.......a man among boys in the Mac. IMO, the best defensive player to come out of the Mac since Jason Taylor. I'd love to get this kid with our second 2nd rd pick.

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArt...9&DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=344511&Q_SEASON=2006

#4 WW85, Dec 24, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  5. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

lmao, i knew this was an Eric Weddle thread. I was watching the game yesterday and knew someone was going to make a thread saying we should get him. Its gonna be like this all bowl season. Everytime a talented selfless guy is shown in a bowl game, expect to see a thread calling him a mangini guy and us drafting him.

6. ANJI

ANJI New Member

I would Draft him and he is pretty much what "Mangini" would like in a player.
    1)He would be cheap.
    2)Second Day pick.
    3)He would probably return punts because being a punt returner is more about being able to account for varibles on the run, reading blocks and being quick............. while being a Kick returner is more about being fast and picking a lane ( Which is why Miller is a better kick returner then punt returner).
    4)He would backup multiple positions. Speical teams/Safty/CornerBack/KickReturns.
    5)He's a former QuarterBack, Smart and Tough.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the team next year.

7. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

My "Mangini Guy" player of this years draft is Justin Blalock (I feel like a broken record but I really think he will be a tremendous asset). He's tough, versatile, plays with a mean streak, smart (1120 SAT as a 7th grader), and plays a position (OT or OG) that we will be in need of soon with Kendall getting older, Clement not really the strongest RT.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Same description of weaknesses that David Barrett would have had as a prospect.

Barrett's a pretty good second corner.

9. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Not a second day pick

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Weddle is potentially a second round pick, which is way too high for a guy that would be our fourth safety.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I knew this was about Weddle as well... I live in MWC country and have seen tons of hype about this guy. He is a good kid and a super guy does alot of of the field stuff but I don't know where he fits on the team.

12. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I dont get it, why is it admirable that he took a knee instead of getting a td?

13. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

That's my pick as the "Mangini type" out of this draft.

14. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Brian Leonard fits the mold.

15. BCWhite

BCWhite New Member

I like Leonard too! Watched him play his High School ball in Gouverneur, NY when I was stationed there. I think the guy is in the mold of Chris Cooley, but maybe a little more athletic.

16. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

See my thread on Tony Hunt.... he's my "Tangini" player of the draft.

17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Weedle wont be a third or forth round pick he will fall in the second round.If he falls in the third i wouldnt mind picking him up but i dont think safety a real big need and is probably the least of our worries concernig the defence.
    We need another starting lineman whether it be Nt and moving D-rob to end or getting a de a getting rob there.We need another cb and another lb to replace barton in the future.