Big Question: Rex Ryan Coach of the Year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by All Gas No Shake, Jan 20, 2011.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

By Tim Graham

2. HOI

HOI Active Member

IMO they would never give it to him...

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It's a regular season award. Either Raheem Morris or Bill Belichick will win the AP award. I think Belichick already won the PFWA coach of the year award.

4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

for some reason everyone thinks he trash talks when he actually doesnt and then you have the feet thing. I dont think he will win one.

5. Steelersrule

Steelersrule Member

I think he will one day.......but as mentioned it's a regular season thingy. From what I've seen he rather win the Lombardi than some stuffy old brown noser award.......

6. ........

........ Trolls

I'd throw Todd Haley in the mix, although I was wrong by one game when I said before the season that Kansas City would be the most improved team in the league. That title belongs to the Bucs and Morris.

Belichick's coaching job this year was outstanding. Still, I'd personally give it to Mike McCarthy. Navigating the sheer volume of injuries they've had this season and getting to 10-6. What do they have, 15 players lost to IR?

7. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Yeah, its a regular season award and the Jets only did what they were supposed to. Belichick over-achieved and so did Morris with their teams. Personally, I would give it to McCarthy for what he did despite all those injuries.

As for Haley, the Chiefs success was a product of their easy schedule. Had they played the schedule of the Jets or Steelers, they would have been 4-12. So, to me, feasting on a bad schedule should not get you coach of the year.

8. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

It's for the regular season like the MVP. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair but that's how it works. Usually a Superbowl is better compensation then an award.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Unless they included post season play (which they dont to my knowledge) no chance.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

McCarthy and Haley would be good choices, too.

I think Morris is most deserving. He got 10 wins out of a young team with a 2nd-year QB in a division featuring the two best teams in the conference (by record). They did get smoked by Pittsburgh and New Orleans, but were pretty much in all their other games.

Imagine if they held on against the Lions (and everything else happened the same way). The Packers would not have made the playoffs.

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

The only problem with giving the award after the playoffs is that it would go to whoever wins the Super Bowl, right?

12. Brick

Brick Member

13. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Lovie Smith should be a strong candidate as well. Nobody expected the Bears to be a playoff team, let alone the #2 seed in the NFC.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Not really.

I mean say Rex lost this game to the Steelers in a close matchup. I think Rex stock goes WAY up because of his game plan vs the Pats/Colts.

Where as the Falcons coach his stock goes way down because his team got blown out @ home and looked like garbage.

Same thing for ole Billy, his stock goes way down because he got pooped on and outcoached like hell .

I mean if the Steelers won the superbowl do you think Tomlin would get COY, probably not.

But the playoffs really should factor into it, because those are the most important games.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Belicheck the genious assumed since the jets played zone and rushed 3 during their 45-3 ass whooping, the jets would switch to m2m and rush 5-6-7. That's how he prepared his offense, to attack m2m.

Unfortunately for belicheck, Rex played virtually the exact same defense in the playoffs (mainly zone, rushing 3-4) and the pats were totally unprepared.

Sooo, who gets the trophey? A genious who got it all wrong or an up and coming loud mouth who got it all right?

loud mouth > genious

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I think Morris most deserving. He did an amazing job.

That's a team to watch in the future.

17. alljetsallday

alljetsallday New Member

Hmmmmmmmm

I believe he is a contender had some ups and downs but pretty consistant and got his team to where he said they were gonna be so thats gotta count for somthing i dont here any other coaches delivering on there predictions.--- AJAD

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'd much prefer the latter, Bill can have the award if it means we win the SB. I could totally see his acceptance speech tooas the trophy is thrown into some box only to be locked away in the attic where Mouth, Data, Mikey and Chunk can find it some years later.

19. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Raheem Morris.hands down

20. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

the guy in tampa wins it prolly