BIG EAST expansion imminent?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by vinsjets, Nov 2, 2010.

1. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898

Here we go again.

2. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

TCU and ECU/Houston!

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I hear grumblings of TCU but I'm not sure the Frogs are willing to gamble on their future. The instant payout is good but adding TCU and UCF does nothing for them once the Big 10 comes with their bulldozers and dynamite.

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

ECU contributes nothing.

TCU/Houston could be likely, travel partners for the state.

5. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I've got it on good authority from 'Nova alums that Villanova is a done deal as far accepting the invitation.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Does Nova have to go independent for a year or two before they can join the Big East once they go FBS? I can't remember if it's an NCAA rule or programs just decided to do it on their own in the past.

7. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Not sure if they go Independent, but there is a 2 year period for Villanova to get up to speed with recruiting, and show they can meet minimum requirements. I remember getting free tickets to FAU games when they were making the push for D1.

8. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

You know how many times I've heard "done deal" and "the ink is dry," regarding UCFs invitation? I don't believe any of it, too many different rumors every day.

TCU is really going to piss me off if they go Football only. That basically exiles UCF for another 5-10 years.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

TCU is the most attractive draw for the Big East by far. Adds instant credibility to the conference. All of the other teams being considered...not so much.

10. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Yeah, a team from Texas makes sense for the Big EAST.

If TCU agrees to football only, it's no doubt going to be TCU. They bring the most credibility

UCF makes a lot more sense than you think, they're already ranked higher than every other BIG EAST school right now (29th). 19th largest television market, Just announced as the 2nd largest school in the country. Natural rivalry with USF and adds a travel partner for all sports to cut travel costs to florida.

I mean no disrespect to Nova or any alums on this board, but it just doesn't make sense to bring them up for the football schools. They will never establish the fanbase they want/need. I don't care how good they are in the FCS, where are they going to find 25,000 more fans to average 30k? It failed back in the 90s with Temple, why would it be different now?

If UCF wins Friday against Houston(the wildcard team for the BIG EAST) I would expect UCF to receive votes from all voting members of the BIG EAST. This year thats (Cincinnati, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Louisville).

Man I wish I didn't hate everything about the BIG EAST.

#10 vinsjets, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  11. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

The only thing against TCU, and this is just my opinion, of course, based on a couple articles and radio shows.. but the Big East football Coaches (not the Presidents) are less than thrilled about potentially adding TCU, as they would be the immediate favorite to win the conference. In a sense, that could be the makings, potentially, of creating Miami part 2.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You can't have it both ways if you're the Big East. If you want a school that will lend cred to your football conference then you have to accept them being the prohibitive favorite in the conference for at least the first few years.

13. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Nova AD says they won't make a decision about football program until the Spring, and now TCU AD announced they will reject football only invite.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...-university-will-not-move-individual-programs

14. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/11/29/2010-11-29_texas_christian_universitys_horned_frogs_invited_into_the_big_east_source.html#ixzz16gNskVsH

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wonder what the NCAA would have done if Utah and TCU didn't bolt for the automatic qualifiers, Boise gets screwed again and the Big East is trying to make themselves more relevant than the MAC

One other thought is that the stupid sized basketball conference just got bigger.

16. Barry the Baptist

It's a done deal.... TCU is joining the Big Least. I am sick to my stomach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5862368&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

This shows how disgusting the people who run college football are. They continue to ruin what is the best sport being played with their greed and lack or morality. The BE has to add TCU to survive as a BCS conference and TCU has to join a weaker conference to get a bigger piece of the pie. Explain to me why this makes sense again?

17. Barry the Baptist

Apparently radio stations in Dallas are reporting that the BE isn't done. It sounds like UCF will also be offered an invite as will either SMU or Houston. Ouch... so in the process the lowest of the BCS conferences not only crushes the MWC but take 2 pretty solid programs from CUSA.

#17 Barry the Baptist, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  18. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think it only made sense to me if it was football only, but the deal is all sports giving the BE 17 basketball schools. No offense to those Basketball only members but it is time for one of them to go.

I say G-town should be cut free!

19. Barry the Baptist

Your going to see some serious disdain from the basketball schools. I think DePaul may be the one that gets let go.

20. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I dont think anyone is getting let go. Huge conference will get bigger.
    If Nova accepts the football bid, which I still doubt, it'll bring football to 10, leaving basketball at 17. Look for a bid to UCF making it 11/18 which is obviously playable (BigTen) and then down the road ECU/Houston getting a Football only invite to round it at 12. And giving the big east the championship game they want for football.

Just a thought.